Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 24,952 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Grand Rapids from Atlanta. My husband is taking a job there and will begin working in mid November. I will stay behind to sell our home. We plan to rent until we find the right house/home for us. Our family consists of the two of us, a pre-teen daughter, and 2 toddler sons.

The first thing I would like some feedback about is the best/safest areas to live for families. Areas with the top school systems. We'd like somewhere not too far from Grand Rapids where the homes are within a reasonable price range.

Also, my husband and I currently live in a city less than 20 minutes away from downtown Atlanta. We would love to live in an area that is very family-friendly, very safe, and very peaceful. For entertainment, we love to travel into town for symphany concerts, plays, operas, to visit the arts museum, or just walk around through the city and take in its 'hustle and bustle'. But when we're done, we love the fact that we can return back to our peaceful home. We once moved to Nashville, where we thought the city would be similar to Atlanta. Boy were we wrong! It was soooo dead downtown, it was ridiculous. We eventually found ourselves moving right back here. Is Grand Rapids a 'hustle and bustle' kind of city?

I've read that commute times are pretty good in Grand Rapids. Is that true?

I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
You'll find Grand Rapids to be much more enjoyable than Atlanta. Grand Rapids has the beach only 45 minutes away, sunsets galore, plenty of outdoor options on the water. Downtown GR is a pretty lively place - bustling with cafes/shops/arts/entertainment. From my experiences with Atlanta - I found it very spread out - and pretty dead after 5pm - so I'm surprised to hear you like it more than Nashville, but it's probably home to you, which is understandable. I mean other than the Woodruffs Art Center, Fox Theatre or High Art Museum - I can't picture a reason a local would hang out there - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with Grand Rapids. East Grand Rapids, Ada and Rockford are going to be your Sandy Springs, East Cobb and Alpharetta equivalents.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM

214 posts, read 673,711 times
Remember that Grand Rapids is a MUCH smaller city than either Atlanta or Nashville.

That being said, it does have a pretty lively downtown. For the type of 'burb you're looking for, I would focus on the Forest Park school district.

Real estate in MI hasn't quite recovered to the extent of other areas, so you can likely find something in that district at a price point you like.

The other thing to keep in mind if Grand Rapids feels a bit too "small" for your tastes, that there is both Megabus (dirt cheap) and Amtrak service directly to downtown Chicago that takes around 3 hours to Union Station. So if you need your fill of a giant city with all that entails, you can get there quickly and cheaply if you plan in advance.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM

What is the weather like there?!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Uhhh.....hate to be the downer here, but if you found Nashville boring to the point you had to move back to a megopolis like Atlanta, then I doubt Grand Rapids is going to do much for you. GR is a good bit smaller than Nashville, a fraction the size of Atlanta (I lived there for 20 years), and while it is an up & coming town, I would definitely NOT classify it as a "hustle & bustle" type city in the mold of the other two. It has enough entertainment to keep one busy, to be sure, but if you're expecting anything near what you're used to in Atlanta you're in for the dissapointment of your life. The good news is that you'll be within a couple hours drive of both Detroit and Chicago, where you can obviously get that top notch entertainment fix you crave.....especially in Chicago, one of the great cities in all the world.

As to the person who said you'd find GR much more enjoyable than Atlanta........I think that may be a stretch of epic proportions based upon what you detailed in your OP. Have you ever lived in the midwest? Are you prepared to endure the winters here? It's a 40 minute drive to Lake Michigan, and aside from that, GR is not a particularly scenic area, especially in comparison to Tennessee or north Georgia. Again....Nashville is renowned as one of the best entertainment towns in the country, and if you found that place boring, then I don't possibly see how Grand Rapids, Michigan is going to make you happy. Nice town, but not on the level of Nashville or Atlanta......and this is coming from someone who has lived in both regions.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,284 times
well coming from someone who just moved from atlanta to flint. Its like night and day. But we moved because we wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle. The schools are much better and the weather is great. Yeah it gets hot here but it gets cool at night...which I love. So far the winter has been mild. But from what Im told thats not normal

Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
As to the person who said you'd find GR much more enjoyable than Atlanta........I think that may be a stretch of epic proportions based upon what you detailed in your OP. Have you ever lived in the midwest? Are you prepared to endure the winters here? It's a 40 minute drive to Lake Michigan, and aside from that, GR is not a particularly scenic area, especially in comparison to Tennessee or north Georgia. Again....Nashville is renowned as one of the best entertainment towns in the country, and if you found that place boring, then I don't possibly see how Grand Rapids, Michigan is going to make you happy. Nice town, but not on the level of Nashville or Atlanta......and this is coming from someone who has lived in both regions.
I don't know... the natural scenery in and around Grand Rapids varies quite a bit. Within the city limits is obviously nothing special for natural scenery, as it's an urban area. And suburbs to the south and west are nothing to write home about, as it is mostly flat farmland that was converted to development. But if you get into East GR, Ada, Lowell, Forest Hills, Alto, Rockford, etc... there is some very nice scenery. Rolling hills, forest, lakes, orchards, rivers. Those places are not lacking in natural scenery. The natural lakes, greenery, etc are better than what you find in Nashville or Atlanta, in my humble opinion.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Truly how are the winters? When it snows heavily, do the transit buses still run?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty0215 View Post
Truly how are the winters? When it snows heavily, do the transit buses still run?
Grand Rapids can get very little snow, just like most of the lower half of southern MI, or lots depending on if the lake effect snow bands hit them just right. If they do not set up over Grand Rapids at times throughout the winter, then the winters are not too bad....relatively speaking. Now I have lived here in Mid Michigan (about an hour or so East of GR) all my life, so 60-70" of snow is nothing to me. I call that an ok to bad winter. Now if they do not get lake effect, but the storm tracks throughout winter hit just right, they can also get a lot of snow. Lately neither has happened a whole lot, but that can change at any time. As far as cold weather...again, to me the 20's and 30's are a relatively warm winter...which is what GR will get most of the time for highs. Now if your going to live in a state that has winter...you want it to snow so you can enjoy all that Winter has to offer. Lately...Winter has sucked...lol

Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Grand Rapids can get very little snow, just like most of the lower half of southern MI, or lots depending on if the lake effect snow bands hit them just right. If they do not set up over Grand Rapids at times throughout the winter, then the winters are not too bad....relatively speaking. Now I have lived here in Mid Michigan (about an hour or so East of GR) all my life, so 60-70" of snow is nothing to me. I call that an ok to bad winter. Now if they do not get lake effect, but the storm tracks throughout winter hit just right, they can also get a lot of snow. Lately neither has happened a whole lot, but that can change at any time. As far as cold weather...again, to me the 20's and 30's are a relatively warm winter...which is what GR will get most of the time for highs. Now if your going to live in a state that has winter...you want it to snow so you can enjoy all that Winter has to offer. Lately...Winter has sucked...lol
Yeah, we do want to enjoy our winter... Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan