Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 21,455 times

Advertisements

Friends, I'll be interviewing soon for a job in St. Joe. (I currently live about 1/2 hr away.) I have a basic knowledge of the area, but I'd like some specific advice on where to live. I would like to start up some conversations with people who know the town well.

I'm a single male professional. I want to rent an apartment for awhile. My primary criterion is being as close to the water as possible for running. I like public libraries and being able to walk to various things like bars, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I'm very private and live pretty quietly. I like the anonymity of apartment complexes, but I doubt any are near the Lake?

Any advice? (Perhaps I'm being presumptuous in even asking, but I think I have a decent shot at the job!) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:36 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,886,168 times
You live 30 minutes away. Take a drive near the water and look at possible apartments. Are there any near the lake? I don't know. I do know that the town is pretty quiet and should be a decent place to live, given your needs.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,769,633 times
1/2 hour away? Why bother moving, and going through all that hassle. Unless of course your job is in the Medical field and you have to be within a call-in time frame, but even then, most are 1/2 hour anyway. Drive up and look around if you have to move. Take an afternoon and 1/2 a tank of gas and stop into local places and get a real feel for it. Better than going by strangers advice on a website.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 21,455 times
Default St. Joe, MI

Thanks, folks. Definitely going to move there if I get the job. Need to get out of South Bend; I've been here far too long! I've been to St. Joe several times. Have looked around a good bit and know the town OK. Just hoping to get some "insider" information on here about which apt complexes are better (i.e., good maintenance, friendly staff, etc.). Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,702 times
Default Same for Me - Job Interview, May Move there

Hi, I also may get a job offer from a St. Jo firm and am considering moving there.

I looked at condos on my job interview visit, right on the lake, lake view. Pricey but may have some decent lease options.

The area reminded me a bit of Mackinac Island or Saugatuck, and it does have some industry, business and a few things downtown. I'd avoid Benton Harbor, looks like a total dump - or I should say, a forgotten industrial city of times past.

Only place I'd live there is on the water, and there were parks nearby for running/walking, and for my dog, and a few cafes/restaurants in the immediate walking area too, to stave off total boredom.

Chicago = an hour and a half away, acc. to folks I asked there. That would be a plus.

If you have now moved there, could you fill me in as to your opinion and any lifestyle tips... I may get an offer soon! I'd be moving from the Detroit area (no jobs here) and I know it would be a culture shock of sorts.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan