Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
As a fellow West Michigander, I can't support how this was shoved through the House and Senate in lame duck session, by a bunch of cowardly f**k-tard governor wanna-be conservatives like Dick Devos and the current Republican body in Lansing.

Rep. Bradon Dillon from West Michigan: "No committee hearings, no opportunity to debate amendments, no public input" while protestors in the capitol were kicked out, locked out, pepper sprayed and arrested. Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=AsI2xc_FYX0#!
It's not just the Detroit/ SE Michigan that's strong union. Up here in da UP , Marquette, the Unions prevail , especially in the Trades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
When unions first gained traction, I think the intent was to protect working men and women who worked in dangerous, industrial jobs from bad working conditions, low wages, and greedy corporations.

I'm still not sure how state office workers who sit behind a desk and teachers, etc, fit into the equation. What/who are they being protected from? The friendly elderly neighbor who pays taxes? The elected official they are negotiating with... who just so happens to be a person that they helped to elect?

If we are going to talk about the detrimental effects of right-to-work, lets stick to the people who can truly justify being unionized. Like coal miners and whatnot.
If any profession should have fair treatment, it's the Teachers. Historically teachers have been poorly paid for all the important things they do, like teaching our children. Way too many school districts short pay their teachers, just because they can, that's wrong. And, not all teachers are Union ether, maybe they should be!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
It's not just the Detroit/ SE Michigan that's strong union. Up here in da UP , Marquette, the Unions prevail , especially in the Trades.
All 20 of them, huh?

Talking about a depressed area.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Read the article. The Teabaggers were planning this far in advance of the worker protection proposition. We knew it already from ALEC and Walker, I just hadn't read the details.
I read it, democratic stupidity was the perfect catalyst. You should try living in Michigan some time, you might actually learn some things.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
All 20 of them, huh?

You do not know what you are talking about. Depressed area? You could not be anymore wrong. Before running off with your words, do some fact checking. Marquette County is not depressed, that's common knowledge , what rock did you crawl out from anyway. ?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
I read it, democratic stupidity was the perfect catalyst. You should try living in Michigan some time, you might actually learn some things.
Well, teach me the advantages of plutocracy, professor. In what ways is the Republican Party's favourite system superior to the 1950's and 1960's, when we had low income inequality and strong unions?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
All 20 of them, huh?

Marquette, MI is definitely not a depressed area.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There's quite a bit of stuff Union, some jobs you wouldn't think off. There's a food workers union that run a Welch's grape juice/jam plant in SW MI..... they haven't had a new hire in 6 years. Some packaging is union like International Paper in Kalamazoo who makes the cereal boxes for Battle Creek,( it's actually owned by the Coor's family).

From what I've noticed management tries to break them up by forcing mass overtime, (the packaging plant had a strike about be tired off non-stop 70-80 hour workweeks).

I hope RTW helps MI and from my perspective it will.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Corrugated. Here is a link to the job. It's Kalamazoo not Grand Rapids. I had it mixed up with another job. This is through a temp agency. I hate it when companies do that. Temp to hire. Blahhhh

Snelling Staffing Services - Job in Kalamazoo, MI - Machine Operator - Corrugated Container Facility
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I don't care for temp to hire myself. I've seen some companies demand you go through the temp service for 18 months before you can get on with them.....excessive IMO. This job you reference is actually Arvco Container and they will direct hire for $12-$14 /hour if you have corrugated flexo exp. They make boxes small enough for a thimble up to a box you could put a car in. They have a pizza box section which is probably about 40% of there business.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:06 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Please refrain from personal attacks and baiting each other. Most of you are long-time posters here so keep it clean. Thanks.

The Grand Rapids Press (now MLive) came out with an editorial yesterday slamming everybody involved with the latest lame duck power mongering. Thoughts?

Right to work in Michigan: Gov. Snyder, unions and lawmakers all disappoint with their behavior this week | MLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan