Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 22,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You do not know what you are talking about. Depressed area? You could not be anymore wrong. Before running off with your words, do some fact checking. Marquette County is not depressed, that's common knowledge , what rock did you crawl out from anyway. ?
Most of the UP has been losing population for years. Lots of threads about the welfare mentality and lack of jobs up there for many if not most counties. Marquette is just one of 15 so stop cherry picking the only area up there that's doing ok, in large part because of NMU. Most are not doing ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
Agreed, Marqutte county and the city cannot be compared to the rest of the UP which is remote and depressed economically, always has been. There are good unions and bad unions, the teamsters ran the Machine shop where I worked in the ground but the Paper workers and railroads have unions that work with management and ownership. The UAW and the corrupt pigs down state have no bearing on the union and ownership relationships above the bridge which is more like the rest of the country than the dysfunctional environment of the downstate auto industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulusgeek View Post
Most of the UP has been losing population for years. Lots of threads about the welfare mentality and lack of jobs up there for many if not most counties. Marquette is just one of 15 so stop cherry picking the only area up there that's doing ok, in large part because of NMU. Most are not doing ok.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM

167 posts, read 431,411 times
Well said Coldjensens; well said.......

Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regulusgeek View Post
Not true, Marquette County is the largest in the State. We have about 80,000 people in our trade area. What this means is we are a large part of UP economy. Almost everything leads back to Marquette. Our population has grown over 10 percent since the last measure. We did not have a down turn during the recession.Building Never stops, real estate did not loose value. I know what's going on, I live here, built a home here, invested here, all in the last 5 years.
We are not alone, the Marionette area is booming with ship building contracts. There are greater needs in that area for skilled worker than any other, except Marquette. Things are looking up in the Copper Country too. Tourist continues to provide income along with MT. More and more people have chosen to retire up here, that alone is starting to change the UP as the word gets out from around the Country. We continue to win many awards as best places to live, retire, invest. The future looks bright up here, new mining interest are also in the works. We now have a nickel mine, only one in the US. Production starts next year.
Yes, there are counties that have not changed, some , like Baraga with unemployment over 20 per cent.Things are improving, as the economy grows again.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
unions are a good thing
strangling industry unto death as a form of pay back for past minority grievances (AA dominated unions) is not beneficial to michigan.
signed a former steel worker

Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I read it, democratic stupidity was the perfect catalyst. You should try living in Michigan some time, you might actually learn some things.
Why discount the outsider opinion since other posters who do live in Michigan don't share your views either?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Please refrain from personal attacks and baiting each other. Most of you are long-time posters here so keep it clean. Thanks.

The Grand Rapids Press (now MLive) came out with an editorial yesterday slamming everybody involved with the latest lame duck power mongering. Thoughts?

Right to work in Michigan: Gov. Snyder, unions and lawmakers all disappoint with their behavior this week | MLive.com

I think that's a very reasonable column. Even as a pro-right to work person, the more I think about the way this went down, the more uneasy I feel about it. Watching Snyder talk about the new law... something just didn't feel quite right. I am not so sure that he actually wanted anything to do with it. But it sounds like there was a LOT of pressure from a lot of different places.

Hopefully, when this all shakes out, Michigan will be better off. I think that's a possibility. But we need to get back to having a stable environment, one way or the other. I think Democrats and Republicans both share responsibility to make things stable again, but unfortunately I don't think either side has that on their "agenda" right now.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Respectfully disagree, the Democrates had nothing to do with what Synder and is cohorts in crime did. Very underhanded in my book.
The Republicans must take major blame for what is NOT happening, with their just say no policy. It's now all in their box they boxed themselves into.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I think that's a very reasonable column. Even as a pro-right to work person, the more I think about the way this went down, the more uneasy I feel about it. Watching Snyder talk about the new law... something just didn't feel quite right. I am not so sure that he actually wanted anything to do with it. But it sounds like there was a LOT of pressure from a lot of different places.

Hopefully, when this all shakes out, Michigan will be better off. I think that's a possibility. But we need to get back to having a stable environment, one way or the other. I think Democrats and Republicans both share responsibility to make things stable again, but unfortunately I don't think either side has that on their "agenda" right now.
Snyder is very pro-business, in good ways and bad. I too think he was put under a lot of pressure from conservative business owners (many from West Michigan too), and they laid out an entire plan earlier this year. Probably went something like: Snyder said he didn't want to support it because it was too divisive, Prop 2 was gathering petitions to get on the ballot in the Spring (?), but it wasn't expected to pass, but the momentum of voters coming out against Prop 2 would give the Republicans the upper hand on the streets of public opinion, they could even do it in lame duck session whether they retained power in the House and Senate or not, they lined up the votes in the House and Senate probably even before November's election, planning for a vote on both floors in lame duck, got Snyder to agree that we've got X, Y, and Z in place and it won't be as divisive, they lined up major business owners for support, put more pressure on Snyder, Snyder signed on when he felt like it was not political suicide...Boom, the rest is history. We now know he can be bought.

Of course, it's all conjecture. But I can't imagine how else he flipped on the issue in what appeared to be hasty fashion (but really only appeared that way).

For the media to portray this as something that was conjured up and voted on in a week is....haha....hilariously sad.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
I agree, Mag.

This has been in the works for quite a while, and long overdue.

For the record, I was a UAW member for some years in Michigan.

Y'all are much better off now.

I'm not sayin' that there will be a sudden influx of businesses moving to MI right now, but this law will be a factor in the decision making process.

When Michigan does well, the country does well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan