Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
This isn't actually about which side the guy is on, the point was that he is mentally unbalanced enough to threaten a man and his family because people now have a choice whether or not they want to join a labor union. Not exactly end of the world stuff, yet he is making threats like this. He needs help, but first he needs to be somewhere where he cannot live out these threats. Did we learn nothing from yesterday's massacre in Connecticut about how mentally unbalanced people carry out their threats?
I would say no we didn't learn anything from yesterday's shooting. If we had learned anything from any of these other mass shootings then perhaps this one might not have happened. It's the same dialogue after each of these episodes, but nothing ever changes. My own reaction to the breaking news was in three words: I'm not surprised. We should have learned from Columbine if that was the supposed "wake up call." I'm in the wrong thread for all this, but over all it's just time for people to stop with the hateful talk and threats no matter what one's politics are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Rev. Charles Williams is just a loon.

As much as a sideshow the Detroit City Council meetings are, he was restless to the point where the DPD had to drag him out of the room/building.

What's scary is he has followers every Sunday morning who entertain his lunacy.

That said, the loons are on both sides of the political spectrum.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM

71 posts, read 114,608 times
When Henry Ford started his first auto plant he CHOSE to pay his workers 150% more than the average factory at that time. He also helped create the the 8 hour work day as well as the 5 day work week. Too bad their is not too many business owners like him around anymore. Most to all companies now pay the absolute least that they can and still get by with and many times don't get very many quality workers because of that. They seem to not realize that lower quality workers can also cost them more money in the end. I work for a Natural Gas Company in Tennessee, a job where most would think that you would make pretty decent money, yet they pay almost nothing compared just about any state north of us and are currently struggling to get somewhat decent employees that are even capable of doing the work. The economy and life in general would be so much better if people weren't so damned greedy. The problem with states like Michigan is that there are too many places for companies to go now for cheaper labor including overseas, not to mention they have to compete with other countries. More globalization is hurting our country IMO but what do I know. Here in Middle Tennessee there are constantly new companies/factories moving in and there are quite a few jobs to pick from, you just have to have two or three of them to be able to get by.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNYOOPER View Post
When Henry Ford started his first auto plant he CHOSE to pay his workers 150% more than the average factory at that time. He also helped create the the 8 hour work day as well as the 5 day work week. Too bad their is not too many business owners like him around anymore. Most to all companies now pay the absolute least that they can and still get by with and many times don't get very many quality workers because of that. They seem to not realize that lower quality workers can also cost them more money in the end. I work for a Natural Gas Company in Tennessee, a job where most would think that you would make pretty decent money, yet they pay almost nothing compared just about any state north of us and are currently struggling to get somewhat decent employees that are even capable of doing the work. The economy and life in general would be so much better if people weren't so damned greedy. The problem with states like Michigan is that there are too many places for companies to go now for cheaper labor including overseas, not to mention they have to compete with other countries. More globalization is hurting our country IMO but what do I know. Here in Middle Tennessee there are constantly new companies/factories moving in and there are quite a few jobs to pick from, you just have to have two or three of them to be able to get by.
Glad you mentioned Henry Ford. He wanted his workers to be able to afford his product. This is the opposite of the current model - pursuing the cheapest labor in the U.S. or elsewhere at all cost. The workers are the customers, and it is their demand which grows the economy, not the super rich "job creators". We tried this trickle-down model, and it is still in effect after 35 years. What do we have today? A Wall Street crash, bailout, near depression, and undesirable levels of employment.
All because of Social Security, Medicare, unions, "welfare queens", the 47% slacker Americans?? Give me a break.
The WalMart workers and others in Asia cannot afford to buy the products they produce, and those are strictly for export. Workers in China are committing suicide over working conditions there. A model for America?

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-15-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Pro-Union Activist Threatens the Michigan Governor: 'We'll Be at Your Daughter's Soccer Game

Bone chilling.
After the slaughter that happened in Connecticut yesterday, I hope that someone is taking this thug's statements at face value and the police have been notified.

The unions don't have to look very far to see why they have such a bad name to so many Americans. They have done it to themselves through violent outbursts like this.
Too sad.
That guy is a freakin' jerk, but why do you assume that unions automatically support those dumb statements? He talks like a base individual, a preacher and performer with a chance to run his mouth in front of an appreciative audience. He is too dumb to realize that his words may be actionable - but he's a freakin' preacher, and maybe even a phony since he says nothing of substance.
He is one who could give a black eye to the movement, but he will never be a name to reckon with. I'm pretty sure most don't take his words seriously - but I know you need ammo, so there's some.
On the other hand the fact that you and others hold the the jerk Breitbart's site, along with Fox and The Blaze etal, in high esteem, speaks to why we are in trouble today.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-15-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Wonder what would happen if a Tea Party member said they were going to Obama's daughters' soccer games?

Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
Is this any worse than the people who protest at a soldiers funeral? That has to be one of the most despicable things I have ever heard of people doing. I don't agree with what this douche said but I don't see him as stalking. It sounded more like he wanted people to carry the protest into Dicks personal life is how I took it.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,246 times
Maybe if everyone keeps fighting and arguing 'whose right' we'll have less anger, violence, and hate?

Let it go already, nobody's right and nobody is winning.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Glad you mentioned Henry Ford. He wanted his workers to be able to afford his product. This is the opposite of the current model - pursuing the cheapest labor in the U.S. or elsewhere at all cost. The workers are the customers, and it is their demand which grows the economy, not the super rich "job creators". We tried this trickle-down model, and it is still in effect after 35 years. What do we have today? A Wall Street crash, bailout, near depression, and undesirable levels of employment.
All because of Social Security, Medicare, unions, "welfare queens", the 47% slacker Americans?? Give me a break.
The WalMart workers and others in Asia cannot afford to buy the products they produce, and those are strictly for export. Workers in China are committing suicide over working conditions there. A model for America?
This is it in a nutshell. The top few want everything and think everyone else should live on scraps. People struggle to get by and then the wealthy are outraged and shocked if people need assistance. If no one can afford anything then how are small businesses supposed to thrive?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNYOOPER View Post
When Henry Ford started his first auto plant he CHOSE to pay his workers 150% more than the average factory at that time. He also helped create the the 8 hour work day as well as the 5 day work week.
That's a fairy tale. Henry Ford's wage raises were selective, non comprehensive and conditional. Henry was indeed considered to be a class traitor (at first). As of 1914 (the time of $5/day, Henry' business was well known in 1903) most of the industrialists shared the "idea" that workers lack mental capacity and self-discipline to make good use of extra money and extra free time. Thus, working lower classes a lot for very little is sorta public service industrialists provide to workers and society at large. Henry was not an exception. He helped to invent institute of the social workers as we know it to make sure workers are not squandering all that extra $ he bestowed upon some of them. #1 cause of $5/day were quite nasty work conditions at Henry' assembly lines, you had to be a robot, literally, disposable robot since getting hurt at the line was a norm. Turn over was extremely high at $2.68/day. It was humanely impossible to work for more than 9 hours at Henry' assembly lines speeds. Recruiting and training costs were high.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-15-2012 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan