Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
It is the continual increase of taxes on the middle class that has lowered middle class take home pay.

Why didn't UAW members go on strike when the bosses lowered starting pay to $14 per hour?
Plain and simple, it is the Right wing ( Conservative Republican) agenda to eliminate the middle class in America, as we now know it. Until someone can provide/prove any actions that disprove what I have said, then fire away, However before you say anything, read what I have said carefully. Cause and effect is most definitely part of the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,619,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
What's amazing to me is how forum posters love billionaires and their taxpayer subsidies and bailouts, but despise the lower "spoiled" working class and believe they are under-worked and overpaid. America has never been like this, except maybe in the 1920s (I wasn't there).
Here is part of the RTW mentality:
How lowering middle class wages, in the name of "competition", to third-world levels could possibly be good for our country is beyond me - but seems to be desirable by many. Third-world countries have detestable working conditions and no middle class to speak of.
Congressional repubs oppose all measures to bring outsourced jobs back to America, and get support from posters here. Is this forum loaded with plutocrats or what?
I sure agree with you about America never having been like this before. I wasn't here in the 1920s either, but I'm not a young person anymore either. I've never seen people who aren't millionaires and billionaires favor this group when most are in the average working class themselves. We've now got an uber rich class who feel that they are the only people worthy of consideration. They think others should work for the lowest wage possible while they themselves can't bare the thought of anything less than essentially everything.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Plain and simple, it is the Right wing ( Conservative Republican) agenda to eliminate the middle class in America, as we now know it. Until someone can provide/prove any actions that disprove what I have said, then fire away, However before you say anything, read what I have said carefully. Cause and effect is most definitely part of the answer.

You do not think the middle class got hurt when LBJ raised middle class taxes to pay for his "Great Society" welfare programs?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,779,462 times
The very pro-business publication Grand Rapids Business Journal paints a pretty interesting pictures of RTW and economic development. Not sounding so promising.

Economists look at right-to-work states for links to job growth | 2012-12-17 | Grand Rapids Business Journal

Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,981 times
Quote:
It is the continual increase of taxes on the middle class that has lowered middle class take home pay.

Why didn't UAW members go on strike when the bosses lowered starting pay to $14 per hour?
* OK, just to be clear, whom do you blame for these "increasing taxes"?
* You are saying that unions did not accept that starting pay rate?
What "news" organization gave you this information?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I sure agree with you about America never having been like this before. I wasn't here in the 1920s either, but I'm not a young person anymore either. I've never seen people who aren't millionaires and billionaires favor this group when most are in the average working class themselves. We've now got an uber rich class who feel that they are the only people worthy of consideration. They think others should work for the lowest wage possible while they themselves can't bare the thought of anything less than essentially everything.
What you and I have described here is creeping plutocracy, and a gradual takeover of government by the uber rich over decades via their lobbying. Registered lobbyists in Washington for 2012 number 12,000 and their spending is $2.5 billion. How can Joe Lunchbox compete with this? What gets me is the forum support for this approach to governance.

This favoritism has always been with us to a degree, but trickle-down economics and Citizens United have put it on steroids, and now it seems the lower classes are having less and less control. In some cases, corporations are writing their own legislation and, under the radar, handing it over to accommodating congressmen.
Now RTW, which is backed by billionaires with certain governors in their pocket, seems to be part of the "grand plan". The idle oil-rich billionaire Koch Brothers, among others, have been using their money toward this for years. Whatever it takes to marginalize the lower working class - one small step at a time.
Selling RTW-for-less $$ as "job creation" rather than "customer creation" - no wonder some companies, who don't view their own employees as customers, like it.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 12-17-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
You do not think the middle class got hurt when LBJ raised middle class taxes to pay for his "Great Society" welfare programs?
Sorry , not the answer, only conjecture on your part, name specifically what part of LBJ's programs actually did what you say.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,547,379 times
Quote:
* OK, just to be clear, whom do you blame for these "increasing taxes"?

The politicians of all varieties.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,343,891 times
Quote:
here is what's behind RTW.
It is Wall Street billionaire Koch Brothers and right-wing organizations like ALEC and including republicans, setting their sights on the democratic rust belt states, since they already have the low-information red states in the pocket.

The Ed Show
This

Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
This
Agreed! but then, just about everyone who follows politics is aware of the evil Koch Bros. and their huge amounts of money, that, is so large that they can buy almost anyone.Too bad they lost big time this last election, sure cost them a lot, for little or no return......then, they can afford it, money buys a stronger, louder voice most anywhere.They always live to play another day.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan