Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 PM

9,885 posts, read 9,496,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I haven't taken offense at anything, but was surprised that the OP would think an entire town of 8000+ would close everything for 4 or 5 months of the year. I guess coming from Chicago, 8000+ in population wouldn't make a decent sized apartment complex so fair question, even though it caught me off-guard. Plus we get more than our fair share of cutting comments from that area all Summer, so I tend to be suspect of any question like that.

Haven't been to a bar in YEARS for a drink (eat regularly at the Sportsmans Irish Pub downtown Ludville though... great food), but suspect they still do a good business regardless of the season. I would hope everyone that wants to, makes the trip up someday. It really is a nice area with quite a bit to offer if you don't expect large city amenities in a small place. We don't have the Opera, or Symphony; but do have a kick-butt summer concert series and community spirit not usually found in large cities. Just don't be surprised if the store clerks and restaurant wait staff actually stop to talk like they know you.
Hi - thanks for your thoughts - I wasn't aware of Ludington being 8,000 residents/people, well, when i was there a year ago in approx October, I enjoyed my stay for a few days but now i am thinking of the possibility of living there one day and what would that be like. We get snow in chicago but you get more lake effect snow, and what would that be like. Oh im not looking for a party lifestyle or any of that, but i do love the peacefulness and the beautiful lake michigan, and even when the skies were gray, Ludington had these beautiful dramatic clouds that looked like out of a painting, and the nice beach and small dunes where there are no parking meters were a refreshing change from here in Chicago and no crime or crazyiness like you have in the city here, and i dont even want to mention the crime report we get here in chicago would be nice to get away from all the big city life here. I think also people have better character and values and that is important to me. Seems people were more respectful in Ludington when i visited there. Something you cannot put your finger on but you sense it for sure.

Anyway, thank you for being patient with me - someone who has just had a taste of Ludington, and I'd love to live there one day or even take a longer vacation when i can & hopefully in June this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I think also people have better character and values and that is important to me. Seems people were more respectful in Ludington when i visited there. Something you cannot put your finger on but you sense it for sure.
Ludington is definitely a great place, but that is how it is in most northern Michigan towns...or I could go as far as saying...most smaller Michigan towns...not just northern Mi. I live in Mid MI. in a very small town and thats how it is here also, but it does seem to become more evident the farther north...West and East you go.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Ludington is definitely a great place, but that is how it is in most northern Michigan towns...or I could go as far as saying...most smaller Michigan towns...not just northern Mi. I live in Mid MI. in a very small town and thats how it is here also, but it does seem to become more evident the farther north...West and East you go.
Yes i believe that is true! What do you attribute it to?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,724,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Yes i believe that is true! What do you attribute it to?
We are not in such a rush as to lose sight that people are people and want/deserve to be treated the way we ourselves want to be.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,865,656 times
Quote:
We are not in such a rush as to lose sight that people are people and want/deserve to be treated the way we ourselves want to be.
Exactly. And I also think that to live in Michigan...especially northern Michigan, you have to embrace the weather, the swarms of tourists, and the fact that a lot of people are always talking bad about the economy how how these towns are all just tourist driven. There is a lot to each one...but I think all these factors kinda bond everybody together. You can feel it when you head north, and it is a GREAT feeling. You have to be a special breed to live in these areas, and you...for the most part, really have to love this state and take the bad with the good. Its a lot tougher to live here...then say a place that is always sunny and warm, so in a way we all kinda rally around that. We love our little town, but are gonna be moving to northern Michigan soon and cannot wait to be around such great people. We are moving to The TC area, but I could honestly live anywhere up there and be very happy.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:14 PM

I think your area of the state is like that, and seems to be insulated from the effects of what was going on in the news that was happening in Detroit recently, with the unions ... which Im thankful for,,, but i suppose that is an any state, downstate Illinois is totally different than up here in Chicago. I mean your not going to run into all the issues directly that happened when Michigan became the right to work state.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,970,755 times
Quote:
My cousin has a couple right across the road from them and they don't bother them at all. They live down on Hawley Road and at first were pretty apprehensive about having them so close, but says it is a non-issue now that they are up and running. I know a few who are upset, but it is so much better than having them all across the horizon in the Lake itself.
The royalties doled out to those near the windmills makes the view more palatable no doubt. Royalties indirectly stemming from gov't funded tax credits that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan