Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,279,724 times

Advertisements

I had a job interview in Traverse cit yesterday, and I have one in Indy on Monday. I think the one in TC went well and the Indy one is pretty much a lock. I think TC would pay enough to make it worth it but it will not nearly be as much as I can earn in Indy. So now the dilemma. Move for $$$ or move for location. TC will give me more challenges when it comes to the care for my 11 year old. I'd have to hire someone to watch him during the summer and thats an added expense I would not have in Indy. But that is about the only draw back. Just wondering what others have done or would do. I'll keep you posted as to what and where we go. I already know your answer Michiganmold man lol but you can still answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,912,049 times
Lol...no, talking to you...it sounds like TC may not quite be to your liking. I would hate to see another person leave Michigan, but you definitely have to make the decision that is best for you and your family. Who knows...maybe you will end up staying put, after all...I know how much you love heading to Northern Michigan!

Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Crap I put location OF money lol Did I really give you the impression I did not like TC? I love TC, but I have to be able to make a living

Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM

63 posts, read 129,573 times
JGatti, what are the housing costs in Indy vs TVC? Housing within the Traverse City limits can be expensive for something "decent".

Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,781,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I had a job interview in Traverse cit yesterday, and I have one in Indy on Monday. I think the one in TC went well and the Indy one is pretty much a lock. I think TC would pay enough to make it worth it but it will not nearly be as much as I can earn in Indy. So now the dilemma. Move for $$$ or move for location. TC will give me more challenges when it comes to the care for my 11 year old. I'd have to hire someone to watch him during the summer and thats an added expense I would not have in Indy. But that is about the only draw back. Just wondering what others have done or would do. I'll keep you posted as to what and where we go. I already know your answer Michiganmold man lol but you can still answer
I left Michigan but I find it a great place to go every summer for vacation but for me it wasn't a choice between TC and Indy -- if those were the two choices, I'd go with TC because I'd prefer living there to Indy.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM

864 posts, read 1,723,767 times
Factor this into your equation. Where will you go if you don't like this job or outgrow it? With Traverse City, you'll have fewer choices than Indianapolis. That's one of the reasons I don't currently own a house. In this economy, you have to be mobile. Employment is not as secure as in the past and you may have to move to a larger city or a completely different geographical region for future employment. You'll really limit your future job prospects in a town the size of Traverse City unless you treat it as strictly temporary.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBass View Post
JGatti, what are the housing costs in Indy vs TVC? Housing within the Traverse City limits can be expensive for something "decent".
I figured we would have to rent in Indy to start, but to be honest the housing in TC is cheaper. You can get a lot more house for less money. Taxes are higher but in the area we were looking in Indy the housing to buy or rent it higher. Another bonus of TC is that every house I looked at was in an area that qualified for zero down financing. Nothing in the area in Indy. So we could realistically buy faster in TC.

I received the initial offer from Indy today and I will be turning it down. So we'll see if they counter.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM

792 posts, read 2,327,756 times
Does your 11-year-old have special needs, or do most kids that age need to be watched these days? When I was 11, 11-year-olds roamed freely without supervision or even watched younger kids, and I would guess that kids on their own would be safer in a place like TC than a big city like Indy. Why would you have to pay for childcare in TC but not Indy? In any case, your son won't be 11 for long.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
Does your 11-year-old have special needs, or do most kids that age need to be watched these days? When I was 11, 11-year-olds roamed freely without supervision or even watched younger kids, and I would guess that kids on their own would be safer in a place like TC than a big city like Indy. Why would you have to pay for childcare in TC but not Indy? In any case, your son won't be 11 for long.
As a matter of fact my son has type 1 diabetes. When I mention care, if I am starting work at 7am and he is starting school at 8 and needs to catch the bus etc. I won't be there to do anything for him unless I make him get up with me, eat, shots etc. Not sure how that will go lol In Indiana I have some friends who would live close to use and they have a son the same age and are willing to help out. Also keep in mind it's only going to be me and my boys. The wife is staying in our current area for a new job and finish school. Then she will make the move to either or.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan