Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 31,384 times

Advertisements

Poetic:
Thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely be applying to U of M- Ann Arbor and Flint (they just opened an accelerated 2nd B.S. program), as well as Wayne, Oakland, and MSU.
I love this forum, you guys have all been helpful! I keep telling Socal people that MI people all seem pretty nice so it looks like snowmen (in my front yard) won't be my only friends when I get to MI.
I'll be MI 12/14-12/17 to get my first hand experience of MI and I can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM

14 posts, read 67,503 times
Both Wayne State and UMich are great schools, I'm not sure about nursing/physician's assistant, but they're both really good med schools. Wayne State is downtown Detroit, UMich is in Ann Arbor, probably about an hour from Detroit? Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by an6el177 View Post
Hi all, I joined to get some information on Detroit, MI. My boyfriend and I live in sunny Orange County/L.A. and are planning on relocating to MI for his new job as an editor (obviously he's in the automotive industry). I've read that the suburbs are a nice to live in and we're ideally looking for a loft/condo/townhouse/home with an enclosed garage. Does anyone have any recommendations for what city?

Also, I was in the middle of applying to undergrad second degree programs and grad schools in nursing/physician's assistant studies here in SoCal. Now I have to look into MI's university/colleges. Does anyone have any advice for attending school in MI? What the reputation of some of the local campuses are? Financial aid for out of state/re-located students? I was interested in these schools but don't know how far they are from Detroit: Davenport Univ, Michigan State Univ, Univ of MI, Wayne State Univ, Central MI Univ, Grand Valley State Univ, Univ of Detroit Mercy, Western MI Univ.

I'm basically following my boyfriend to MI otherwise he won't take the promotion. The editor of Detroit has moved here to OC, and now my boyfriend is switching places with him. I haven't told my parents, family, and friends yet...so any advice would be appreciated! Thanx!

Old 12-05-2006, 06:30 PM

14 posts, read 67,503 times
P.S. I live in Livonia (like 20 miles west of Detroit) and I'm not a big fan of it, neither are most of the people who live here. It's a relatively safe community, but it's like 96% white and there's not much to do.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 23,673 times
can any of you guys tell me of some cool hangout places in near dearborn? I'm 22 and I want to go somewhere to meet some people and make some new friends there.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 AM

16 posts, read 129,745 times
Michigan is hurting real bad. The only place you can find job security here is in law enforcement. With so many lay-offs the crime has gone up.
You mentioned the auto industry - i found these articles ~~

GM's big shakeup
Automaker ups job cuts to 30,000 jobs as it shuts plants, facilities in plan to save $7B a year.

Over the course of the next three years, Chrysler will reduce its workforce by approximately 20 percent across both salaried and hourly employees. This will affect about 26,000 people -- 19,000 hourly and 6,800 salaried (including 1,800 'supplemental employees' on temporary contracts) -- through a combination of retirements, 'special programmes', layoffs and attrition.
Ford executives plan calls for the elimination of 25,000 to 30,000 jobs and the closure of 14 plants, as well as a 10-30 percent reduction in white-collar costs.
Unemployment in Michigan, the base of Ford operations, stands at 7.0 percent, up from 6.3 percent in July. The state is suffering the second highest unemployment rate nationally, trailing only Mississippi, which is still recovering from the effects of Hurricane Katrina.

Michigan lost 28,600 jobs between June and July, largely due to cuts in the auto industry.

Think twice before you move. I love Michigan and have lived here my whole life - but my family and i cant afford to stay here anymore.

Hope this helped.
~ Wendi

Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 PM

11 posts, read 67,871 times
The only time we went to Detroit, we got lost & ended up in front of the police department. Hubby says, let's go in & ask for directions! He no sooner said that & out walks an officer in full body armour! Needless to say.... we got out of there. Will we go back? Not unless it's life or death ... ours! Oh... the other thing ... I hope you enjoy "sitting still" on a 10 lane expressway for 30 minutes! Lots of traffic! Nope ... that's not for us!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 35,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by an6el177 View Post
Hi all, I joined to get some information on Detroit, MI. My boyfriend and I live in sunny Orange County/L.A. and are planning on relocating to MI for his new job as an editor (obviously he's in the automotive industry). I've read that the suburbs are a nice to live in and we're ideally looking for a loft/condo/townhouse/home with an enclosed garage. Does anyone have any recommendations for what city?

Also, I was in the middle of applying to undergrad second degree programs and grad schools in nursing/physician's assistant studies here in SoCal. Now I have to look into MI's university/colleges. Does anyone have any advice for attending school in MI? What the reputation of some of the local campuses are? Financial aid for out of state/re-located students? I was interested in these schools but don't know how far they are from Detroit: Davenport Univ, Michigan State Univ, Univ of MI, Wayne State Univ, Central MI Univ, Grand Valley State Univ, Univ of Detroit Mercy, Western MI Univ.

I'm basically following my boyfriend to MI otherwise he won't take the promotion. The editor of Detroit has moved here to OC, and now my boyfriend is switching places with him. I haven't told my parents, family, and friends yet...so any advice would be appreciated! Thanx!
Hi. I would get a ring on my finger before moving to Detroit from OC. You are a good girlfriend...

Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
I was born and raised in Cadillac, Moved to So California, aka,Mexifornia. in the 70`s. With the Illegals flooding the state it`s time to put California in my rear view mirror.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-01-2007 at 07:44 PM..

Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 35,737 times
It is unfortunate you had such a bad experience in California. It is all what you make of it. There are many beautiful places to live if you can afford it....places that we don't get so hung up on the negativity. There are others who aren't so fortunate, I understand. Good for you though, enjoy retirement in Michigan.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,805 times
Sounds like a mass migration out of Mexifornia.. No longer can you make a middle class wage in SoCal without feeling like you have to dodge the border patrol.

Vandalism is crazy too. The graffiti in LA is horrible!-it's abunch of thug's scribbles, and it's every friggen where.

I'd actually prefer to live in Mexico someday; where my money could buy me some safety and space in some gated neighborhood. Whats the big deal-LA's the same thing as Mexico, right!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan