Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

What carriers do most people use in Traverse City for their cell phones? Any issues? It's a rather remote location (no huge cities nearby), so I'm wondering how cell phones work in the area for permanent residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
I don't live in Traverse but have made many a cell call from there whenever I'm in town. I'm with Verizon and have had zero issues with it. Traverse isn't a small place anymore, and the surrounding countryside has good cell reception too.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM

63 posts, read 129,269 times
Hate to burst your bubble, but Traverse City is not remote. Any of the major cell providers will work. There are a few dead spots in Leelanau county, but that's it.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Most providers publish a coverage map, but I would like to know how reliable they are, and if there is any FCC oversight at all on this issue. The FCC hasn't required providers to offer these maps since 2002, with the assumption that in the name of competition they would offer them anyway. I don't get this logic since the companies seemingly could distort or falsify them. Lobbying?
There is a bit of information here:
Understanding Wireless Telephone Coverage Areas | FCC.gov

A user's complaint database:
Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile

Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Most providers publish a coverage map, but I would like to know how reliable they are, and if there is any FCC oversight at all on this issue. The FCC hasn't required providers to offer these maps since 2002, with the assumption that in the name of competition they would offer them anyway. I don't get this logic since the companies seemingly could distort or falsify them. Lobbying?
There is a bit of information here:
Understanding Wireless Telephone Coverage Areas | FCC.gov

A user's complaint database:
Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
I did find coverage maps for Grand Traverse County from ATT, the carrier I have. It appears to be mostly good. But reliability is the issue. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBass View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but Traverse City is not remote. Any of the major cell providers will work. There are a few dead spots in Leelanau county, but that's it.
Thanks. I realize TC isn't remote as it has grown a lot in the past decade. I guess I meant "remote" when compared to SE Michigan. I think TC has a lot to offer, and growth comes with good and bad aspects. I'm glad to hear that the cell providers have good coverage in the area.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,150 times
All carriers are good in Traverse City.

However, when you get into some of the more rural and remote parts of Northern Michigan coverage can become an issue. AT&T generally seems to have the best overall coverage throughout Northern Michigan. Sprint and Verizon do have some dead zones in more remote areas.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,195 times
I actually just moved from Michigan. I am in sales and do a lot of traveling across the country and have visited a lot of towns in Michigan, including Traverse City and surrounding areas. I use Verizon Wireless and don't recall any coverage issues in or near Traverse City. Like all the major networks, you will have some rural areas where you just don't get coverage, but Verizon is by far the most reliable provider (IMO).

Not sure if you signed-up with any particular provider yet, but here is a link to the Verizon Wireless dealer locations in Traverse City: Traverse City Verizon contact info - Traverse City, MI weekly coupons for Verizon

Here is a link showing coverage of Michigan (looks like Verizon states almost complete coverage of the entire state of Michigan): 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless

Hope this info is useful.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM

197 posts, read 459,169 times
Outside of the city, coverage is pretty poor in some locations. My brother had Alltel and he was the only one in our family to get coverage at my Mothers place near Buckley. My Sprint and my sisters ATT couldn't get coverage there. Verizon bought Alltel since then.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,474 times
I have At& T and never had any issues with service in Traverse City while visiting. A buddy of mine has Sprint I think, maybe Verizon, but I'm pretty sure it's sprint and his phone has zero service at his parents house in Gaylord. My AT& T worked just fine but not his. I know Gaylord is not TC, but I just wanted to give you an example of where one service works in northern Michigan compared to another that does not. His phone works if he goes downtown Gaylord, and TC and just about any major city with cell towers. But as soon as he gets outside of town it stops. Personally I never cared for Sprint. They were my first cell provider and I'd lose service 1/2 way down my in laws driveway, every single time. 100% dead zone. I gave them a shot years later because they said they have a wider area of service. 1/2 down my in laws driveway.... no service. Took the phones back the next day lol

Even though I find them expensive AT&T has been pretty reliable for me and I travel in northern Michigan often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan