Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 PM

133 posts, read 357,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Here a outline on not just industries but for what I think Michigan needs to do to bring itself back from it's current state. My outline is broken down into 3 Phases 1. The Hanging on phase 2. The rebuilding Phase and 3. Getting them back getting them new. Let me just say that this is just an outline and you can mix and match what industries and/or add other industries to the outline.

Phase I. Hanging on. (now to 2 or 3 years)
This phase is basically is to help Michigan (as a whole) hang in there for the next couple of years.

Here's what needs to be done:

A. Promote Tourism to the state. This is not just showing some commercials and hoping for the best. You need Representatives going out there knocking on doors from state to state and Canada to lure people to Michigan for vacations and holidays. It going to be a tough sell in some areas but It has to be done. Get the people in get them to in enjoy there stay and you may get them to someday stay permanently. Which actually leads into.....

B. Promote Michigan to retirees. There not much change from Tourism on that. Michigan has to get Representatives out there to promote Michigan to outsiders. Both A and B will help Michigan get some money in there coffers as least in the short term. Also this will expose Michigan and dispel the belief my many outsiders that Michigan is only about the size of Detroit.

C Mining. I know that there has been some huff about Mining in the U.P. because of environmental concerns but right now Michigan needs the money. So what I would say is you need a couple of people to watch the mining companies like a hawk just to make sure. Look China need metals and the U.P. seems to have it so let Michigan earn some easier money for know and if thing go right you can stop the mining later.

D.Cut back on social programs. I know this will not be very popular but I think I needs to be done. Cut back on everything from welfare to public work departments. Unfortunately Michigan can't afford itself for now and there needs to be cuts. This is going to spur a lot of people to leave the state and yes that kind of sad. But it might in the longterm be the best thing for the state. Sometimes you have to destroy somethings order to rebuild them again. Plus some of those people that leave might have the opportunity to do better elsewhere. No promise of that but Maybe.

Phase II 3 years. rebuilding
In this phase Michigan need to be even more aggressive to lure established and newer businesses.

A. Create a very friendly business Environment. This requires tax incentives and also more lax regulation of business. You need to get those business in the door no matter what it takes.

B. Send out extremely aggressive Representatives to lure small corporations and small businesses on east and west coast to Michigan. Look I basically have live in or near 3 big city Boston, New York City, And D.C. There are guy/gals in all those places that have new and fresh ideas for businesses/industries but they either try and fail to create there new business or don't bother going into a venture because other all the regulation and the absorbent cost of doing business there. Michigan need to find these people and get them to take the plunge and move to Michigan with business/business venture. Fresh new Ideas can be contagious if they are successful and if Michigan nurtures these people right more than likely they will be.

C. Work on urban renewal. This must be done. Yes you can attract people to Michigan but you have to make them stay. So in Certain areas of Michigan there needs to be urban renewal at this stage. There has be be a quick but well done fixing of infrastructure if needed in area. Blight in neighborhoods must be clear out and replaced by inviting surrounding. Like I said this is to keep those new businesses and new workers in city/state. If Michigan has to go into debt to accomplish this then so be it.

D. Put more taxes on out of state students. This is an extra income. Look from what I getting both here and actually from people who live near me is that Michigan has a very good college system and has plenty of student coming in from other states. So I this is one area where Michigan can still make money why not just hike up the cost a little more. I know, I know college is expensive enough and you might lose some student to the extra costs. But if have here correct about how good Michigan's college system is then I doubt your going to lose a ton of people in the end.

OK Here are some other industries Michigan can really get into as well I know most of these industries are already in Michigan. But didn't put them in Phase I because of the prohibitive start up costs of some of them.

E. Medical equipment production

F. Drug production

G. Green tech

H. Technology

Phase II. 5 - 10 getting them back/getting them new
In this Phase Michigan should be doing OK. But it can do more. Most of these industries below 1. either need a lot of capital output to get started 2. are deeply entrenched in other parts of the country and there will have to be aggressive negations to get them out of where they are 3. Have already been in Michigan and left on a bad note.

They are as follows:

Areo space companies

Stem cell research and development

financial company commodities and stocks companies.

Freight moving hubs.

insurance companies

Multinational/National banks.

Water from Canada. Yeah this last one sound weird so let me explain. Look there are more and more people being brought onto this earth than people going out. So the populations around the world are growing at a large rate. All of which need Fresh water. I know that desalination is one way of getting fresh water. But there is another way. Just look at Canada water, Ice, and snow everywhere. Sound like a business to be had there. And Yes I know the Ice caps are melting but I still think there's going to be plenty of fresh water up that way for a while. So why not cut a deal with Canada where Michigan can somehow be a large hub for either transporting water or storing water (Great Lakes) for world distribution. Know it sounds far fetched but when/if the fresh water start running out I think Nations will do what ever it takes to get to survive.

OK I'm done. like I said this Outline is mailable to changing needs. Good luck guy.

I believe in Michigan.

Sound's good,stuff i've been saying,got one problem...you don't have any representitive's that are even half way aggressive.Hate to say it,but on the business end,they don't have what it takes.So that part of your plan is shot,the rest sounds pretty good.Ok,work with me on this(and you have to understand at this point i'm laughing my arse off)Some business rep from Michigan go's to persay the West coast to try to get job's to move to Michigan,He would get chewed up and spit out,period.Look at the state of dissaray in Michigan,it's job's,it's economy,do you honestly think,for one minute,in the world of big money and big business,That any of these "leader's" have what it takes,I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:43 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
If any Business wanting to start here in Michigan they are going to find it hard with the Taxes they will be hit with. The idea of wind generators is great the only thing is unless you have a lot of land the local cities would not allow you to put one up in your back yard, Cause I know in my neighborhood the people who live here would call and complain, so you wouldn't be able to install it. The problem with Michigan is you have to many who complain and yet they sit on their hands and do nothing to help. These type of people are useless. I would like to have a wind generator at my house I would also like to get solar panel shingels but I can't find them. Could you or someone post a site that carries these items. The problem is my city of Roseville has more Ordinances then you can shake a stick at.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
Baystater,
Have you looked at the TAXES in this State? We are the State that will Tax a Business to death. We are all about TAX and SPEND, Not a State of CUT TAXES and BALANCE BUDGET. No we have people in Lansing who would rather sit and Fight each other then work with each other. MORONS!!!!! The people of this State elected these IDIOTS and now are stuck with them. So even with all your ideas which sound good they won't work here, Cause we have a Governor who BELIEVES in BLOWING AWAY MICHIGAN and you have to give her credit she is doing a Hell of a job.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default not as bad as jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
Baystater,
Have you looked at the TAXES in this State? We are the State that will Tax a Business to death. We are all about TAX and SPEND, Not a State of CUT TAXES and BALANCE BUDGET. No we have people in Lansing who would rather sit and Fight each other then work with each other. MORONS!!!!! The people of this State elected these IDIOTS and now are stuck with them. So even with all your ideas which sound good they won't work here, Cause we have a Governor who BELIEVES in BLOWING AWAY MICHIGAN and you have to give her credit she is doing a Hell of a job.
I understand your grudge with taxes in Michigan. But man you have no idea how bad they are in Ma. and especially in NJ. Trust me live in NJ for awhile you'll be thinking Michigan a dream. And at least the politicians you state (by your words) are just morons. The ones in Jersey ain't stupid. There just incredible corrupt and steal the public blind.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:55 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Michigan is lousy with engineers. Why more of them aren't putting their pointy little heads together and dreaming up some new industries is beyond me. Why not set up an airbus factory? Create a better line of childsafe toys, for which Americans are well know to pay ANY crazy price?

I ran into serious trouble with the service operation attached to a car dealership not that long ago and a friend of mine from California advised me to go to the state board that keeps these places honest. I was astounded to hear about this service in Calif. because Michigan doesn't have such a thing. Then maybe, thinks I, what we need is a grassroots one that serves the people. Even if it ran on donations like the Salvation Army I would expect it to do well.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 AM

112 posts, read 348,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Michigan is lousy with engineers. Why more of them aren't putting their pointy little heads together and dreaming up some new industries is beyond me.

Some are:

Grand Rapids Technology - Experimental Aircraft Engine Monitoring Systems (broken link)

Their products are popular all around the world. And with the weak dollar even more so, I would imagine.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:16 PM

133 posts, read 357,456 times

http://michiganconstructionnews.com/Resources/item3-8537.gif (broken link)

Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
I would like your dad to help me out! I have been trying to learn how to connect a wind generator to my house for a few months now and there is just not enough info around for me, I am very interested in a wind generator system for my home!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 PM

143 posts, read 327,479 times
The answer is not to go out and target/create incentives for a small niche, like we did for the film industry. The state should not focus on any one industry, whether it is technology, healthcare, or whatever. If Michigan were to lower taxes and reduce regulations, ALL industries would have a reason to move to the area. Businesses are always looking for ways to reduce costs. That would give us the diversified economy that we need. I think we can all agree on the dangers of relying on a single industry on which to base our economy.

It's not magic and it's not rocket science. I just think that there are too many people who are fighting to be the smartest person in the room while the obvious answer is right in front of them.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittenDweller82 View Post
With all the negative electricity flowing in this thread, I ask readers to put for some suggestions as to what industries would help this state become a new leader in the technological era. We all know what ties manufacturing has to Michigan, so what is the ticket to our success?
None, really. The US economy is shifting. It's never going to be what it was before. That is a reality we all need to accept now. Those who wait for it to bounce back (as Granholm has done) will be sorely disappointed.

It won't be one industry leading the way. I foresee more smaller businesses. I also foresee it will become more and more who you know not what you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan