Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:15 PM

53 posts, read 177,499 times

Advertisements

I was thinking, Wind Mills for power always seem like a good idea. Wind is free, and while the cost to build them and put them up, in the end it is a great way to "Go Green".

If we put huge Wind Mills for power along the Shores of the Great Lakes, image what we could do with all that energy?

Hell, put them on top of the Mackinaw Bridge for that matter, and power a city!!

Just a thought. I don't have a degree in renewable resources or anything!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:14 PM

265 posts, read 801,564 times
I hope they never will as they ruin the landscape. They don't even generate that much energy anyways. Do you want to see this on the Lake Michigan shoreline?

On a side note, they are wind turbines. They are not milling anything.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM

198 posts, read 508,383 times
We have these things in Texas and they are butt ugly. Luckily we have lots of equally butt ugly empty land to put them on here. I can't image lining the great lakes with them. You would ruin one of the defining things about Michigan. The great lakes shoreline. Have you ever seen one of these things come apart? It's pretty spectacular. They aren't the panacea that people think they are.
Just me 2 cents.
Regards,

Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Governor Jenny ststed that the wind turbine would be the salvation of the MI economy.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:18 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageman View Post
I was thinking, Wind Mills for power always seem like a good idea. Wind is free, and while the cost to build them and put them up, in the end it is a great way to "Go Green".

If we put huge Wind Mills for power along the Shores of the Great Lakes, image what we could do with all that energy?

Hell, put them on top of the Mackinaw Bridge for that matter, and power a city!!

Just a thought. I don't have a degree in renewable resources or anything!!
Studies have been conducted to build offshore wind turbines in Lake Michigan that wouldn't be visible from land:

http://www.trainingupdate.org/industry-news/Pages/WindTurbinesinLakeMichigan.aspx (broken link)

This idea is gaining traction, from what I hear.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhtex View Post
We have these things in Texas and they are butt ugly. Luckily we have lots of equally butt ugly empty land to put them on here. I can't image lining the great lakes with them. You would ruin one of the defining things about Michigan. The great lakes shoreline. Have you ever seen one of these things come apart? It's pretty spectacular. They aren't the panacea that people think they are.
Just me 2 cents.
Regards,
Yeah, when I was in Texas I saw those!! It was insane, there were a TON of them!!!

Well, they could still put them on the Mackinaw Bridge!

But yeah, I agree it would be an eyesore. Wonder if there is any way around that.

Hey, they have invisible drum shells, so you never know!! Now I'm just having fun.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Studies have been conducted to build offshore wind turbines in Lake Michigan that wouldn't be visible from land:

Wind Turbines in Lake Michigan (http://www.trainingupdate.org/industry-news/Pages/WindTurbinesinLakeMichigan.aspx - broken link)

This idea is gaining traction, from what I hear.
Great link magellan!! +rep!

Quote:
In October 2008, the Michigan State University Land Policy Institute released a study analyzing wind potential in the Great Lakes and found that 100,000 turbines off Michigan’s coasts could produce 321,000 megawatts of energy.
Does anybody know how much that could power? I am unfamiliar w/ the science involved.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:23 PM

217 posts, read 607,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageman View Post
Great link magellan!! +rep!

Does anybody know how much that could power? I am unfamiliar w/ the science involved.
I dug up one article that says New York City uses 10,500 megawatts of power during the summer and that basically 1 megawatt can power 350 apartments.

If that article is accurate, 321,000 megawatts of power would be enough to power about 30 New York Cities or probably the entire state of Michigan and then some.

Thanks, also, to magellan for posting that article. I've always wondered about sticking a wind farm out in the middle of Lake Superior ever since hearing about a proposed offshore wind farm in Massachusetts and am glad to see them researching such ideas.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost79 View Post
I dug up one article that says New York City uses 10,500 megawatts of power during the summer and that basically 1 megawatt can power 350 apartments.

If that article is accurate, 321,000 megawatts of power would be enough to power about 30 New York Cities or probably the entire state of Michigan and then some.

Thanks, also, to magellan for posting that article. I've always wondered about sticking a wind farm out in the middle of Lake Superior ever since hearing about a proposed offshore wind farm in Massachusetts and am glad to see them researching such ideas.
WOW!! That is just AMAZING!!

I too, and glad they are doing the research!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Governor Jenny ststed that the wind turbine would be the salvation of the MI economy.
I think she was talking more about companies being located here to build them and create jobs. Michigan leads the country in idel manufacturing facilities.
If I'm not mistaken Brighton is home to one of the companies that build these wind turbines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan