Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
TY for your reply. Your advice is GOOD advice!!! I will also take your advice about the house with a garage I do wonder though, why do a lot of places not have an indoor toilet but, have saunas? That just struck me as odd. Also, are there newspapers online from any of the cities/towns? I know about The Mining Journal....any others? TY for your advice.
I'm from southern Wisconsin and own a cabin 19 miles west of Hurley, WI. My wife and I spend most of our time in the Ironwood, Bessemer, and the Wakefield area in the western U.P. We are considering moving to the U.P. when I retire in approximately 10 years. There are several businesses in the Ironwood area a person could check out for employment possibilities. Jacquart Fabrics manufactures a number of items including the "Stormy Kromer" cap that is famous in the western U.P. and northern Wisconsin. There is also a plastics manufacturing company, but I can't remember the name of it.
A newspaper link that I read is: ironwoodglobe.com
Good luck finding your own piece of paradise in the U.P. I can't wait till I get mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 02:38 PM

137 posts, read 530,834 times
Waheeeeeeeeee, I've missed a lot! LOL!! Sorry I've not been around much to answer each individual post. I'll try to answer as much as I can remember reading.
First and foremost, Paintballer......I have lived in Ohio for MANY years and do love it here (except this God-forsaken city) but, nothing...and, I mean, absolutely nothing feels "like home" more than the U.P. to me. It IS where my heart is. It's not easy to explain in words...you just have to experience it for yourself to truly know what I mean. I'm not moving for better money or a bigger and better house....All of that means nothing compared to the peace your soul feels when you are truly where you're suppose to be.

mariatherese......Did you get to move back to the U.P.??? What part did you move to?

npmcel.......TY TY for the info you passed along. I have actually been looking into the I.M. area. I grew extremely fond of a home in Bessemer....but, so did someone else LOL.....cuz, it's not for sale anymore. I have become more open to different possibilities....The only place I am still not sure of is Iron River and around that area. Seems, everytime I read about crime, it's in the Iron River area.

kellyburke......I have been doing research up the wazoo lol. If you are interested in purchasing a home, http://www.upmls.com is the BEST site I have found for searching. It has every possible city/town you can think of.

Depthcharge......TY for your input. Any and all info that can be past along is greatly appreciated!! It's funny you mention Stormy Kromer....a friend of mine and I were just discussing the hat (and the guy) the other day lol.

Just another reason the U.P. is sooooo appealing to me......On my birthday, my car was broken into. About $1,700 worth of stereo equipment, etc. was taken.....And people wonder why I want to move! LOLOL!!!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,841 times
Default Don't be so quick to judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwizard4
Avoid Sault Ste Marie. That is the "armpit" of Michigan. The Soo has Indian gambling if that is your choice in life to sit in smoke filled rooms filled with flashing lights, whistles and bells and grumpy people.
Sault Ste. Marie is NOT the "armpit" of Michigan!!! I have lived here my entire life and while it is a small town and we do have a large Native American population, we are not defined by that. And what's the difference between "Indian gambling" and regular gambling? Do you have a problem with Native Americans? And another thing, A LOT of cities and town have gambling! It's a good economical investment, especially for a tourist town such as the Soo. I would be interested in knowing how much time you have spent in Sault Ste. Marie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
The Soo, for us, is out of the question. I can't remember the posters name but, they were absolutely correct when they said the Soo is a close-minded, wannabe big city. I was absolutely SHOCKED when a motorist honked at me and flipped me off for driving the speed limit! LOL. I could not believe I was in the U.P. at that moment! It was just like I was here. Nowhere else in the U.P. did we ever experience anything of the like!

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience in the Soo but you have to remember that that was only one person that you had a bad encounter with. Besides, being on the border we have many people that don't actually live there but are there regualarly. We are a college town and where ever there are college students there is bound to be a loud car sterio or two and just because we're a small town in the U.P. doesn't mean we all drive perfect or don't get upset sometimes. Personally I've never had anyone flip me off for going the speed limit so perhaps something else influenced the situation. Don't write the Soo off so quickly. I loved growing up here and miss it dearly while I'm away at school. If there were jobs in my field in the Soo I wouldn't hesitate to move back home after I graduate.

Last edited by Marka; 12-30-2006 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 AM

9 posts, read 51,685 times
Hi Torrid...thanks so much for your questions and all the replys you got...it helps me in my plans to move to the UP...Best of luck to you both and Happy New Year!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 16,758 times
I am currently in Houghton and love it. I am originally from downstate Michign. If you do some digging you should be able to find something as far as a job. Cost of housing is low and you get more house for less $$

The people are great. I have never been somewhere where people you don't know will start a conversation with you in the store. Most people are smiling and friendly. Occasionally you will get the "outsider" feeling. The area is beautiful, but like jobs you will have to do some digging to find YOUR favorite spot or activity. I feel I have extensively explored the Keewenaw and I know there is MUCH more to do.

I will say that living in the UP is much different than visiting it. Winters are long, but summers are more celebrated. I felt like I was home when I visited Houghton too. I can't explain why, I honestly don't know. If I had it to do over, I would move to Houghton again or consider Marquette.

Just so you know the Hougthon paper (the mining gazette) has pretty much the same stuff as the mining journal. Good luck finding something!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper at heart View Post
Hi Torrid...thanks so much for your questions and all the replys you got...it helps me in my plans to move to the UP...Best of luck to you both and Happy New Year!
Hi Yooper! You're very much welcome!! I am really happy I found this forum. The people here have given me lots to go on. Good luck with your move and the new year as well!!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soosnowangel View Post
Sault Ste. Marie is NOT the "armpit" of Michigan!!! I have lived here my entire life and while it is a small town and we do have a large Native American population, we are not defined by that. And what's the difference between "Indian gambling" and regular gambling? Do you have a problem with Native Americans? And another thing, A LOT of cities and town have gambling! It's a good economical investment, especially for a tourist town such as the Soo. I would be interested in knowing how much time you have spent in Sault Ste. Marie.

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience in the Soo but you have to remember that that was only one person that you had a bad encounter with. Besides, being on the border we have many people that don't actually live there but are there regualarly. We are a college town and where ever there are college students there is bound to be a loud car sterio or two and just because we're a small town in the U.P. doesn't mean we all drive perfect or don't get upset sometimes. Personally I've never had anyone flip me off for going the speed limit so perhaps something else influenced the situation. Don't write the Soo off so quickly. I loved growing up here and miss it dearly while I'm away at school. If there were jobs in my field in the Soo I wouldn't hesitate to move back home after I graduate.

Hi Soo. Please don't get defensive. I liked the Soo, yes..I did.....I just don't think that's where we "belong". Coming from a city that has 2 big colleges (A branch of OSU and Northwestern) I understand wherever there's college kids there's bound to be loud car stereos. That is why we wouldn't choose the Soo. For that matter, we are not considering a move in ANY bigger city. We are looking for a country setting outside of a decent sized city. Far enough away from the hustle n bustle but close enough we don't have to drive hours for a gallon of milk.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajinxyqat View Post
I am currently in Houghton and love it. I am originally from downstate Michign. If you do some digging you should be able to find something as far as a job. Cost of housing is low and you get more house for less $$

The people are great. I have never been somewhere where people you don't know will start a conversation with you in the store. Most people are smiling and friendly. Occasionally you will get the "outsider" feeling. The area is beautiful, but like jobs you will have to do some digging to find YOUR favorite spot or activity. I feel I have extensively explored the Keewenaw and I know there is MUCH more to do.

I will say that living in the UP is much different than visiting it. Winters are long, but summers are more celebrated. I felt like I was home when I visited Houghton too. I can't explain why, I honestly don't know. If I had it to do over, I would move to Houghton again or consider Marquette.

Just so you know the Hougthon paper (the mining gazette) has pretty much the same stuff as the mining journal. Good luck finding something!
Hi zaj. It's good to know you are enjoying your time in the U.P. At this point, I'm ready to go NOW LOL. Would you happen to know of anyone renting out a home big enough for us, 3 dogs, a cat, a fish and a turtle???? LOL!!!!! We were very interested in a home in L'Anse but, it was sold......BOOOO!!! I did notice the Mining Gazette and Mining Journals were close to the same. I noticed one newspaper lists things for the other, hehe. As for jobs, we're willing to take whatever comes our way.....as long as it pays our bills Anywho, if ya hear of any good deals, would ya pass them along? TYVM! Have a good week!!!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM

4 posts, read 16,758 times
L'Anse is nice. Great hiking! I will keep an eye open.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajinxyqat View Post
L'Anse is nice. Great hiking! I will keep an eye open.
TY TY TY TY!!!! Did I say TY?? I would forever be in your debt !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan