Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,929 times

Advertisements

You said you have seen a lot of "entry level jobs" in the marquette/houghton area that require a college degree. im desperatly trying to move to marquette and i cant find anything. and, i have a college degree. im willing to do about anything at this point....in or out of my field. if you have any suggestions let me know. thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 PM

137 posts, read 532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrnelson View Post
You said you have seen a lot of "entry level jobs" in the marquette/houghton area that require a college degree. im desperatly trying to move to marquette and i cant find anything. and, i have a college degree. im willing to do about anything at this point....in or out of my field. if you have any suggestions let me know. thanks so much
Hey there Ya don't need a college degree to pump gas....or run a cash register I just check out the Mining Journal and see what's listed. If you're willing to do "anything", I'm sure you can find something. At least, that's what I hope for anyone wanting to move to the U.P. Good luck!!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,675 times
I chose to move to the UP (Ishpeming, to be exact) with my boyfriend when he had to relocate for his job a couple of months ago. Follow the good advice of previous posters when they tell you to find employment before you move here, and you will save yourself a struggle. Or make sure that you have a nest egg. There are jobs, but many of them are part-time with zero benefits. Competition is fierce.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 50,414 times
I am from northern LP, and loved every minute of it. I went to college in the UP (Soo), and found people there to be very "to-themselves". It was a beautiful town, but I was pretty lonely.
You might consider the northern LP - East Jordan (main business is East Jordan Iron Works), Boyne City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Boyne Falls, etc. areas have countryside and small towns. Traverse City is an hour to 1-1/2 hours away (we considered that the BIG city when we were growing up). Businesses are growing too.
I moved a few years ago to Ypsilanti, and with the exception of the fact I met my incredible husband here, I miss the upper LP. You said that you were looking for "that perfect spot where people are social but, not up your whoopsie daisy and in your business all of the time." The towns I mentioned are perfect for that.

Good luck in your search for happiness. I wish you the best.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:20 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
My family's summer vacation home is in the St Ignace area. I personally enjoy Marquette and Houghton whenever I have the chance. Michigan Tech offered me a full scholarship, but I'm more a city person and really enjoyed my time at UM in Ann Arbor instead (plus, I decided that engineering was not for me).

Downstate ski areas get too crowded and expensive. The UP is still a secret to many people. You can go on vacation and eat well. My parents have probably considered moving to Munising or some town that gets "cut off from the outside world" in winter, but I don't think I could handle it.

In retrospect, letting those Buckeyes have Toledo and acquiring the UP was a win-win for Michigan!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:17 AM

56 posts, read 369,806 times
In my view, the U. P. is a wonderful place for 6-9 months out of the year, but just WAY too desolate and isolated for year-round living. As SusanC said, many of the folks there are really "into" themselves and less than socially inclined-----from that standpoint, alond-----I would think the Northern LP might be a much better choice!

Old 03-04-2007, 10:32 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,814 times
Default Different towns have different attitudes

I lived in MUnising for 11 years, and while its a beautiful area, I absolutly hated it there. The people were clannish, rude, and overly defensive about being "yoopers". Then 6 years ago we moved to the western UP, near Ironwood. What a difference!! It's just as beautiful here, jobs are a little more plentiful, and real estate is dirt cheap. You won't believe how cheap until you check into it.
But about the job situation, I've been working for a staffing agency (temp agency) in a factory for over two years, and before that I worked in convenience stores and motels or nursing homes. All of these are great places to look for work and while you'll never get rich, the quality of life and low cost of living here are more than worth it. Just don't judge the whole U P by certain areas. This community welcomed me and I've made some great friends here.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 AM

TY for the advice flown......We are currently in the Michigan Works database
Quote:
Originally Posted by flownmuse View Post
I chose to move to the UP (Ishpeming, to be exact) with my boyfriend when he had to relocate for his job a couple of months ago. Follow the good advice of previous posters when they tell you to find employment before you move here, and you will save yourself a struggle. Or make sure that you have a nest egg. There are jobs, but many of them are part-time with zero benefits. Competition is fierce.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 AM

TY Susan. We will keep your advice in mind....Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanC View Post
I am from northern LP, and loved every minute of it. I went to college in the UP (Soo), and found people there to be very "to-themselves". It was a beautiful town, but I was pretty lonely.
You might consider the northern LP - East Jordan (main business is East Jordan Iron Works), Boyne City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Boyne Falls, etc. areas have countryside and small towns. Traverse City is an hour to 1-1/2 hours away (we considered that the BIG city when we were growing up). Businesses are growing too.
I moved a few years ago to Ypsilanti, and with the exception of the fact I met my incredible husband here, I miss the upper LP. You said that you were looking for "that perfect spot where people are social but, not up your whoopsie daisy and in your business all of the time." The towns I mentioned are perfect for that.

Good luck in your search for happiness. I wish you the best.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:58 AM

In retrospect, letting those Buckeyes have Toledo and acquiring the UP was a win-win for Michigan! [/quote]........Oh yeah! I agree......Toledo is getting to be just as nasty as Detroit. Drove up that way last weekend and all I can say is YUK!!!!! lol.....Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan