Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 AM

137 posts, read 532,234 times

Advertisements

Awwwww really????? We were kinda interested in a place around Munising too! It's not a bad location for work and such. I wonder if people around Munising are more defensive about being yoopers cuz they're originals?! Whereas people around Ironwood might be transfers from other parts of the state/country? All I do know for sure is we are getting SOOOOOO antsy about getting up there. We just can't wait!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
I lived in MUnising for 11 years, and while its a beautiful area, I absolutly hated it there. The people were clannish, rude, and overly defensive about being "yoopers". Then 6 years ago we moved to the western UP, near Ironwood. What a difference!! It's just as beautiful here, jobs are a little more plentiful, and real estate is dirt cheap. You won't believe how cheap until you check into it.
But about the job situation, I've been working for a staffing agency (temp agency) in a factory for over two years, and before that I worked in convenience stores and motels or nursing homes. All of these are great places to look for work and while you'll never get rich, the quality of life and low cost of living here are more than worth it. Just don't judge the whole U P by certain areas. This community welcomed me and I've made some great friends here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM

32 posts, read 94,046 times
Hello. I was born and raised in Minnesota, but have lived in the Houghton-Hancock area for 20 years. We will be leaving soon in order for my husband to be employed. Yes, I would say it is easier to find a non-degree required job around here. Most jobs are low paying, and part-time, with no benefits. I have been lucky all these years that I have had a steady job with benefits.

There are many good things about the U.P. The people are nice. The scenery is beautiful. If you like outdoor activities in the Winter, this is paradise. Not so good if you don't like very long, very cold, very snowy Winters. Winter really does last from November through March. September and October are not very warm, and April is cold and wet.

Real estate is still reasonable here compared to a lot of places, although it has tripled since I have been up here.

Gas, groceries, utilities, etc. are high up here. Also, you are 400 miles from the nearest major airport, which is a pain if you like or need to travel.

Many of the people have been here all their lives, and have a very narrow and naive view of the world. They have been sheltered in many ways. But they are wonderful, caring people.

The crime rate is very low. Many people don't lock their cars or their homes (I do). After you are here for a while, you see people you know when you go to the store. Places to shop are very limited.

Any further questions, just ask.

Lisa

Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM

22,907 posts, read 28,233,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianhorselover View Post
Hello. I was born and raised in Minnesota, but have lived in the Houghton-Hancock area for 20 years.

The crime rate is very low. Many people don't lock their cars or their homes (I do). After you are here for a while, you see people you know when you go to the store. Places to shop are very limited.

Have the gangs started showing up in Houghton/Hancock yet? I know that in parts of rural Minnesota, gangs have begun to be a problem, especially around the Reservations. What is most of the crime around Houghton/Hancock? Is it drug-related?

I can't recall the name of the military base that closed in the U.P. a few years ago. South of Marquette, I think. ??? Anyway, I heard that place has had some crime and gang problems over the past few years. Is it spreading beyond that area?

Do you prefer one city (Houghton/Hancock) above the other? If so, why?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM

I am not aware of much gang activity around here, thank goodness. I would say most of the crime that takes place is probably drunk driving and domestic violence. Also breaking and entering. Robberies. Sometimes arson. Kids calling in bomb threats to the schools.

Houghton has grown a lot since I've been here. Hancock not so much. Taxes are higher in Houghton. The hills are steeper in Hancock. Some streets are closed during the Winter.

Lisa

Old 03-06-2007, 03:32 PM

22,907 posts, read 28,233,446 times
Quote:
Also breaking and entering. Robberies.
That's what worries me. Lots of burglaries tends to indicate a growing drug culture --- addicts financing their habit through theft. Is this a problem in Houghton/Hancock, or just occasional? Since you said that many folks leave their doors unlocked, I can't imagine this is a severe problem.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:29 AM

Hi arabianhorselover. Thanx TONS for the information!!! It's too bad you will be moving to find employment for your husband What do you consider high for gas, food, utilities, etc? Here in N.W. Ohio, gasoline is around $2.50 a gal., our electric runs about $90 a month, gas is $120 a mo. in the winter.....food....a gal. of milk is anywhere from $2-$3, hamburger is $1.89-3.69 a lb., chicken breast is $2.69 off sale, bread is $1.99, cereal $2-$5 a box, etc......are those comprable to the prices up there? Our property tax is about $700 for 1/2 yr. for a corner city lot. Almost all of the places we've looked at up there, the taxes are that for the entire year. Thanx again for the information you're so kind to pass along.

Quote:
Hello. I was born and raised in Minnesota, but have lived in the Houghton-Hancock area for 20 years. We will be leaving soon in order for my husband to be employed. Yes, I would say it is easier to find a non-degree required job around here. Most jobs are low paying, and part-time, with no benefits. I have been lucky all these years that I have had a steady job with benefits.

There are many good things about the U.P. The people are nice. The scenery is beautiful. If you like outdoor activities in the Winter, this is paradise. Not so good if you don't like very long, very cold, very snowy Winters. Winter really does last from November through March. September and October are not very warm, and April is cold and wet.

Real estate is still reasonable here compared to a lot of places, although it has tripled since I have been up here.

Gas, groceries, utilities, etc. are high up here. Also, you are 400 miles from the nearest major airport, which is a pain if you like or need to travel.

Many of the people have been here all their lives, and have a very narrow and naive view of the world. They have been sheltered in many ways. But they are wonderful, caring people.

Lisa

Last edited by Torrid; 03-07-2007 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Needed to add more

Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 AM

The AFB is K.I. Sawyer AFB, in Marquette.....We won't be moving there anytime soon, lol. Everything I've heard about it has not been good. High crime, white kids fighting Native American kids.....They say rent is dirt cheap there tho lol..wonder why I've also heard the gangs from GB were trying to go into Iron River. I dunno if that's a thing of the past but, either way we've not been looking into that town for residency....just in case. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Have the gangs started showing up in Houghton/Hancock yet? I know that in parts of rural Minnesota, gangs have begun to be a problem, especially around the Reservations. What is most of the crime around Houghton/Hancock? Is it drug-related?

I can't recall the name of the military base that closed in the U.P. a few years ago. South of Marquette, I think. ??? Anyway, I heard that place has had some crime and gang problems over the past few years. Is it spreading beyond that area?

Do you prefer one city (Houghton/Hancock) above the other? If so, why?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 AM

I wouldn't worry for a minute about moving to Marquette. It's still the nice small town it always was as far as I know.

Yes, there are drugs around Houghton-Hancock. There are drugs everywhere. However, it is not bad. It does not affect our daily lives here. Walking around the streets you do not see people who are stoned. Alcohol is a much bigger problem, I think. And it is a bad problem on the Indian reservation. But they are working on it.

We live out of town, so our electricity is through the REA. Our bill has always been high. Right now it averages $140.00 per month. The cheapest gas here right now is $2.54. A gallon of milk is about $2.89. Generally, when we go away from here, prices are lower.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:42 PM

417 posts, read 1,127,893 times
Default Munising.......

Torrid, don't dismiss Munising just on my word, I had some very unpleasant experiences while living there that really soured me on the place. Plus I found it depressing that we got so much lake effect snow, it literally snows every day from November through the middle of April, whereas if you go 20 miles inland it could be sunny & springlike. Many years we had remnants of snow in shady parts of our yard on Memorial Day, and I am not exaggerating!
But as for the difference in peoples attitudes between Munising and the Ironwood area, I have to say its due to the isolation of Munising. Here we're closer to more metropolitan places like Duluth, Green Bay, etc, The only place anywhere near Munising is Marquette, and its an hour and fifteen minutes away. It may look close on the map, but believe me, it isn't, and you have to consider that M-28 runs along Lake Superior for some distance and is closed sometimes in the winter due to white-outs. A shopping trip to Marquette is a day-long expedition because you have to figure in two and a half hours drive time, round trip. Property taxes were more in the Munising township where we lived, and Real Estate is more expensive than it is here. We sold our house for $80,000 there and bought a $40,000 house here.
I'm puzzled as to why you said it wasn't a bad location for "work and such" in Munising? The biggest employers there are the Paper Mill and the Prisons (there are 2 nearby). Otherwise, unless you work for the Forest Service, you're stuck doing minimum wage work in the motels, restaurants, or Nursing Homes. Commuting to Marquette isn't practical, although many people do it because they have no choice. Your wages would be eaten up by gas costs and car maintenance, because there aren't many well paying jobs even in Marquette.
I admit I'm biased against Munising - anyone else have an opinion to offer about the town?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:35 AM

760 posts, read 2,439,777 times
Hmmmm........... I'm not sure where to begin or what to say, LOL. We are from downstate Grand Rapids area and moved to Marquette here in da U.P. For gas, utilities, grocery shopping we have noticed an average of 10% higher costs which in the grand scheme of things is not much. Especially considering many things are cheaper (real estate, taxes, etc).
A word of warning to whoever was considering the city of Marquette to live in..... Marquette itself was discovered about 10 years ago (according to the locals) by the people from big cities (elsewhere) who like to buy second homes. Real estate (and rentals) in the city of Marquette is NOT cheap!!! Everywhere in the surrounding area is much cheaper then downstate but not the city of Marquette itself.
Positive note. EVERYONE has been SOOOOOOOO friendly up here. Some days we almost feel like we moved to another planet, people are so friendly up here. Definitely not what we were used to downstate or where we lived in CO or CA!
This winter had been an odd one in which we have not recieved any major snowfall at all until this past weekend. The funny thing is our neighbors were practically racing with their snowblowers to come over and do our driveway for us! We've never paid any money, or even asked them too (as soon as 2 inches drop they whip out their snowblowers). However we do bake some goodies and take them over to them as a thank you gift!
Someone mentioned the old K.I. Sawyer air force base. When we first moved up here we ended up living there for the first 4 - 5 months due to our not being able to find a place we could afford that would allow our largish dog. Yes there is some petty crime and yes there are drugs (never saw any "gang" activity but then I've lived in larger cities all my life <Grand Rapids, Chicago, Denver, San Diego> so my definition of gang may vary from others). However we never had a problem. The base is quite large and there are better areas and there are worse areas. The landlords are so desperate to rent there that you call the shots. We had ours drive us around pointing out his vacancies 'til we found one in an area that we liked. IF we don't buy a house this summer we'll probably move back there for awhile while we save up more money (we now have 2 large dogs). The rent is cheap and I know we can pick and choose what duplex we want.
I find the whole "there are no jobs available" comments funny. While living downstate we wrote out a list of what we wanted out of an area in which we wish to raise our kids. This area hit every single one on the nose except a robust economy. So what! Make it work. The cost of living (real estate especially) is much cheaper then downstate especially if you are outdoors junkies like ourselves who could really care less about shopping/malls/etc.
We were fortunate that my wife was able to transfer with her company and I took a menial job paying $7.50 an hour. So what!! Decide what is more important to you then go with it!
We literally moved up here without a dollar to our name (in-laws paid for the moving truck we were so broke). Now we've been able to save up a tidy sum and are eye-balling several properties in the area we wish to settle, all of which are under the $50k mark. Granted we'll be commuting to Marquette for work but for our personal preferences, Marquette is to big to live/raise a family in (yes we're oddballs).
In regards to whoever said Muinising is an hour and fifteen minutes from Marquette.............. I guess you're just a slower driver then I am. Except in the city limits I always go 5mph over the limit. From my house by the Superior dome in Marquette to my buddies place in downtown Munising it takes me 50 minutes. Granted I haven't driven it in the midst of a snow storm, that is just regular road conditions. I used to commute an hour one way everday when I lived downstate so maybe that's why it seems like nothing to me.
Granted, these are all just MY personal perspectives but just thought I would throw them out there for what it's worth

For whatever reason (maybe 'cause it's late and I'm tired) if anyone is wondering my wife and I together only made $27K last year (her full time, me part time <I watch the toddler and baby during the day and work at night). I think to successfully/happily move up here you need to 1) shift your ideas of money and what you *think* you need and 2) be flexible!
We earn less then half of anyone in our extended families but are much happier!

Will probably delete that last part tomorrow due to being to personal. But to tired right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan