Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I hear ya! For me it's now a health issue because I have high BP, which I help to control through running. Before anyone points it out I know it's true that had I taken up skiing I could get plenty of exercise in the winter. At this point, I'm just counting the days until I see bare ground again. Two months of deep snow is about all I can tolerate, and we're now at three months where I live.
Can you run indoors on a treadmill? I know it's not exactly the same as being outside, but it's better than nothing.

If this helps, just try to remember that if you lived somewhere with warm winters, it would be way too miserably hot to go running outdoors from about May-October. My dh and I went to Florida back in late February and everyone we talked to who lives there told us that the summers there are the same as the winters here in terms of getting outside and doing anything strenuous. You just walk outside during the summer months there and its like being wrapped in a hot, damp towel. Ditto South Carolina and much of Georgia. I hate cold winters as much as the next person, but I think those summers would be even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
i agree..i'd rather have a long cold winter then a long hot sticky summer. I remember being in georgia and even at 10:00pm at night it was still 95 degrees. I was praying to god for just a simple breeze.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Can you run indoors on a treadmill? I know it's not exactly the same as being outside, but it's better than nothing.

If this helps, just try to remember that if you lived somewhere with warm winters, it would be way too miserably hot to go running outdoors from about May-October. My dh and I went to Florida back in late February and everyone we talked to who lives there told us that the summers there are the same as the winters here in terms of getting outside and doing anything strenuous. You just walk outside during the summer months there and its like being wrapped in a hot, damp towel. Ditto South Carolina and much of Georgia. I hate cold winters as much as the next person, but I think those summers would be even worse.
I think next year a treadmill or stationary bike is something I'll have to invest in. There is a gym in town where they've got everything, but it's expensive to join. I know down south or in the desert it gets horribly hot in the summer. I remember back in early Jan it was still clear enough so that I could take my run. I know I was thinking how much it helped to shorten the winter. We started getting plenty of snow right after that, and it just continued on ever since. Now looking back it seems like Jan was ages ago already. I love Michigan, but I'm just not a snow person. I know in a couple of weeks we should be past all this. I'm hanging on to that fact. I keep thinking of how wonderful the lilacs are when they bloom. I find thinking about them helps.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
i agree..i'd rather have a long cold winter then a long hot sticky summer. I remember being in georgia and even at 10:00pm at night it was still 95 degrees. I was praying to god for just a simple breeze.
We visited Orlando once in early October and it was in the 90s when we got up in the morning and humid enough to drink the air. Ugh! I had hoped it would have cooled down by October but it was just miserable.

You were in the Atlanta area, weren't you? As miserable as it sounds, I imagine that coastal Georgia is even worse.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I know in a couple of weeks we should be past all this. I'm hanging on to that fact. I keep thinking of how wonderful the lilacs are when they bloom. I find thinking about them helps.
Me too! I keep thinking about how beautiful it will be in a few weeks when the trees get buds on them, the grass turns green, and you can feel the warm sun on your arms. I think living somewhere with a cold winter gives us so much more of a sense of appreciation when we do get nice weather, and they say that being able to truly appreciate things is one of the greatest ways to have a good quality of life.

Lilacs...mmmmm...

Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
I do love how the snow looks, but I am so ready for it to melt off. I'm tired of feeling like that kid in the snowsuit off the Christmas Story, lol.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I'm bored sitting inside looking at the grass when hearing the last few weeks of the Midwest getting lots of snow. I want to go back out snowboarding.
Looking at the grass? Yikes!
Come up this way, we still have about 2 feet of snow pack. We have a long ways until we see grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan