Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 12,950 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I just moved to the area because of a promotion I got at work, and we're so happy to be here! Michigan is just BEAUTIFUL! Although, the weather has been kind of wacky the past few days haha

We're currently residing in Orion Township, just down the road from the Great Lakes Crossing Mall. I was hoping I could get some insight on some fun things to do around here! We're both in our twenties and ready to find our "go-to" bars and other hangout spots. Does anyone have any ideas of some top places we need to check out?

We can't wait for it to warm up so we can enjoy the beauty all around us more. We're really loving driving around just to everything in, but we're ready to have some fun and meet some great people!

Thanks for your help, everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
You're in a nice area, welcome to Michigan! This is mud season and wacky weather season but it will get better soon. Then you'll be complaining about the hot, muggy summer. Then it will be fall and gorgeous. Then it will start snowing, which is all kinds of cool at first. Then by Jan-Feb, you'll be praying for wacky spring weather and a glimpse of sun.

My bar-going days are long gone so I can't give you any recommendations, just a "howdy neighbor."
You are very close to a few awesome concert venues though - Pine Knob, Meadowbrook, The Palace.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandismiles817 View Post
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I just moved to the area because of a promotion I got at work, and we're so happy to be here! Michigan is just BEAUTIFUL! Although, the weather has been kind of wacky the past few days haha

We're currently residing in Orion Township, just down the road from the Great Lakes Crossing Mall. I was hoping I could get some insight on some fun things to do around here! We're both in our twenties and ready to find our "go-to" bars and other hangout spots. Does anyone have any ideas of some top places we need to check out?

We can't wait for it to warm up so we can enjoy the beauty all around us more. We're really loving driving around just to everything in, but we're ready to have some fun and meet some great people!

Thanks for your help, everyone
On a nice day, take a drive over to Kensington Metropark. You might dine in Milford - I have no info on eateries there, but it's a trip I'd like to make.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Stoney Creek Metropark is only about 15 miles away (the step child of Kensington) and worth checking out. Six miles of running/rollerblading trails with canoe rental, frisbee golf, golf, swimming etc.

Downtown Rochester has some bars popular with the OU crowd/late 20's mix. Coyote Joe's in Shelby Twp is pretty fun for dancing. It's big with all the Hall Rd 20 somethings. Downtown Pontiac has a lot of bars/dance clubs for Friday/Sat night (Tiki Bob's, Reunion, Clutch Cargos, Tonic, Elektricity). Royal Oak and Ferndale are a bit further of a haul but also have lots of fun hangouts. Do one city each weekend and see which vibe you like most. (For example, Nine Mile and Woodward in Ferndale, 11 Mile and Main in Royal Oak & downtown Pontiac). Sagebrush Cantina in Lake Orion is a fun spot too - and a few local places nearby.

Kudos on the promotion and welcome to Michigan!

PS - Google Metro Times Best of Detroit 2013 - You'll see the local weekly's (staff and readers) picks of everything from coffee shops, thrift stores, places to see shows, bars, restaurants etc. http://metrotimes.com/bod/2013

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM

10 posts, read 12,950 times
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! And thanks for the Best of Detroit suggestion... that was a huge help!

We're so happy to be here =)

Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
Welcome!

Yes, we are all eager for nice/warmer spring weather around here. Spring is coming around a little later than normal this year, but then again last year it came early and pretty much skipped over and went to hot summer early. Hopefully this year we get a nice helping of those nice sunny 60-70 degree days that are enjoyable for most outdoor activities.

You are up in Orion Township, so you are on the northern edge of the Metro Detroit area. That area is excellent if you are interested in outdoor recreation, more space, and more local type places. If you are looking for more big city/cultural spots/urban/hot-spot/young professional type nightlife then you will be looking closer-in spots like Downtown Detroit, Mid-Town, Royal Oak, Ferndale.

You'd have to give us a little more about your interests, since there are so many things to do.

Close-Up your way:
- Downtown Clarkston: Clarkston Union (great food & beer), The Woodshop (great food too)
- Biking: Some great rail-trails -Poly Ann Trail, Paint Creek Trail. Good mountain biking too in places like Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, Bald Mountain Recreation Area
- Hiking - numerous trails at Bald Mountain Rec Area, Holly Rec Area, Pontiac Lake, Addison Oaks
- Concerts - DTE Theater (formerly known as Pine Knob) - great line-up of summer outdoor concerts
- Downtown Lake Orion - Sagebrush Catina (excellent food, can be long waits on the weekend)
- Holly - if you ever want an amazing brunch, go to the historic Holly Hotel on Sunday mornings
- Downtown Rochester - nice downtown with some good places that are busy on the weekends - Rochester Mills Brewery, Main Street Billards.

I'm sure others will talk about the usual Detroit area hotspots too. Royal Oak is the hot-spot for the twenty-something bar scene, but its a good 30 minute drive from your area. Downtown Rochester is much closer, but more low-key than the amped-up scene that can be Royal Oak on the weekends. Definetely make the trip to downtown Detroit and Mid-town, but to get the best experience you'll probably need someone to tell you where the best places are to go.

In the summer, you cannot beat an evening at Comerica Park watching the Tigers.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Welcome to Michigan Unfortunately, I have no idea where anything is over there (I'm in the U.P.), but it's really nice to see that you two can already see the beauty around you, and believe me- it only gets better. My husband is from Michigan (I'm from California), and I've lived both downstate, up north, and now the gorgeous U.P., and I'll tell you what; I LOVE it here, Michigan has to be the U.S. best kept secret, I think it's just awesome-

So glad you like it, there is SO much to like!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
On a nice day, take a drive over to Kensington Metropark. You might dine in Milford - I have no info on eateries there, but it's a trip I'd like to make.
We really like Clancys. Nothing fancy, just a diner with purple upholstery, but the food is good and prices are reasonable. My daughter claims they have some of the best chicken fingers she ever had, and all she eats is chicken fingers. There is a Dairy Queen just outside the Buno road entrance for Kensington (on Milford Road). Downtown Milford has a couple of other nice places to eat, but they are mostly bar type places and a bit expensive if you are paying for seven plus, so we do not eat at them enough to remember the names. For chain dining, you can go South on Milford road to the Wallmart complex in New Hudson. There is a Leos coney Island, McDonalds, Applebees and something else (Chilies maybe).

Kensington is fabulous. Plan to spend the whole day there. I have spent over 1000 days there and never stopped loving the place (I worked there for 5 years, and still visit frequently).

Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM

364 posts, read 877,803 times
Welcome to Michigan :-) Where are you from?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,237 times
Michigan has a lot of great places, Detroit is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan