Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times

Advertisements

Not really actively looking yet to move, but putting it out there we'll be someplace btn. LA and San Diego by the end of 2009

Old 11-22-2007, 08:43 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
I love Michigan, more specifically, I love the dunes, Lake Michigan, Michigan football, and family here. I nearly moved out of state when I was laid off for the 2nd time in 2 years...I was going to head to Pennsylvania, just to sort of start fresh and get away from things for awhile, plus there was a job that I could get in Pennsylvania that I would love. However, I got a new job offer here, that I am not particularly fond of and it pays pretty much the same as my last job, so I decided to stick it out a year before I moved - my family was huge in influencing me to wait one more year before moving out of state. Then I met my girl friend and I will still as long as we are together - if we break up I'll probably move out of state. I know you shouldn't make decisions based on girl friends, but love makes you do dumb things and I do love this state.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
You have made some very good points in your post.

CAD = Computer Aided Design/Drafting

Entry level CAD operators are starting at $15 - $20 an hour. More if they have some college and/or experience. Psst! They're making far MORE in the south (SC and NC) even at the entry level.
Oh I know what CAD is lol. Im a graphic Design grad, what I meant to say is why push the HS program and count him out for college?

Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Oh I know what CAD is lol. Im a graphic Design grad, what I meant to say is why push the HS program and count him out for college?
Perhaps the teacher was not so much counting him out for college (there are MANY college grads out of work) but it's always good to have a "trade" to fall back on when times are lean. I am a college grad, but back in the recession of the 80's I couldn't beg a job, but my husband who was NOT a college grad managed to get jobs, albeit menial ones, just so we could stay afloat until things got better. He always seemed to find "something". Me, on the other hand? I was always told that I was "over qualified".

One can never have too many skills in the old "toolbox".

Old 11-26-2007, 03:52 PM

86 posts, read 456,784 times
Quote:
I am a college grad, but back in the recession of the 80's I couldn't beg a job, but my husband who was NOT a college grad managed to get jobs, albeit menial ones, just so we could stay afloat until things got better. He always seemed to find "something". Me, on the other hand? I was always told that I was "over qualified".
When I first graduated college and was in desperate need of any kind of paying work I could find, I found I actually got more calls for interviews when I left my college education off my resume, rather than including it!! But that did make it difficult to explain the gaps in my employment that were caused by my taking classes.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times
For a second I thought maybe I wrote that quote! We are also leaving Michigan and moving to Texas. A person can stay "loyal" to their state for so long until you realize your family comes first. I just cant see us getting ahead in this state. Its scary moving but I hope we are doing the right thing.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 AM

47 posts, read 152,098 times
Default You Are 100% Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyez492 View Post
For a second I thought maybe I wrote that quote! We are also leaving Michigan and moving to Texas. A person can stay "loyal" to their state for so long until you realize your family comes first. I just cant see us getting ahead in this state. Its scary moving but I hope we are doing the right thing.
We didn't want to move either but it was either move out of state or try to apply for the same job that other 15-20 maybe more people are applying for.
We miss family and friends and everything else that Michigan has to offer (except jobs) but it was a smart move.
It is a smart move trust me, it hurts sometimes but that's life.
We were just in Lewisville, Dallas over the holiday weekend from Wichita, KS. and it is a happening place, tons of life, shopping and the economy is great there.
Good luck

Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Perhaps the teacher was not so much counting him out for college (there are MANY college grads out of work) but it's always good to have a "trade" to fall back on when times are lean. I am a college grad, but back in the recession of the 80's I couldn't beg a job, but my husband who was NOT a college grad managed to get jobs, albeit menial ones, just so we could stay afloat until things got better. He always seemed to find "something". Me, on the other hand? I was always told that I was "over qualified".

One can never have too many skills in the old "toolbox".
That is so true, doesnt hurt to have different skills. I grew up in this city and college was never mentioned to me as a child. So I guess its a sore spot.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyez492 View Post
When I left it wasn't because I couldn't get a job -- but for the fun and adventure of going somewhere different. If you get to a place that's right for you and your family it doesn't have to be scary or too difficult. It can be very interesting. To me it would be scarier to be without a job and think you could get to a point where you didn't even have enough money left to leave.

I met a guy here from Michigan who graduated and couldn't get a job -- he and friends had a vague plan to travel to Phoenix and try to find jobs -- but they stopped at a 7-11 to get something to eat and drink and he told the clerk he was traveling to get a job -- the clerk told he he could have a job there so he let his friends travel on and stayed. He said it was just so great to be offered a job that he grabbed it.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:53 PM

38 posts, read 105,100 times
Have Fun Living in Texas!....lol! I just moved back to Michigan from Texas and would not go back there if you paid me! Keep in the back of your mind this: The grass is not always greener!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwart View Post
I think michigan is the greatest state for summer cottages on the lake. But michigan sucks the rest of the year. It is way too cold and the big cities like Detroit, Flint, and Lansing are getting worse and worse every year because of all the auto plant layoffs. Grand Rapids is ok. I'm headed to Texas where there is hot weather, cheap real estate, and people enjoy going into the big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan