Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 44,497 times

Advertisements

if you dont like those things dont come to florida. High property taxes, high house insurance because of hurricanes, low paying jobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving_mi_soon View Post
I am looking to move..... want to go south . I don't like the weather... I don't like the crime... I don't like the tax increase we just got..... I don't like the high property tax...I don't the fact that you can't find a job

Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,510,165 times
Funny what some of these insulting posts say.

we moved to Michigan from Southern CA (OC).

Here is what we found:

1. Considerably better public schools.

2. Considerably better health care.

3. Considerably better freeway system although in need of lots of repair.

4. Amazing traffic conditions.

5. fantastic real estate bargains. We bought water front property that would cost millions in CA.

6. Remarkable people. When we tell our CA friend what people here have done for us, especially people who barely now us, our friends do not believe us.

7. Drink water right from your tap!

8. really high property taxes, but other taxes are low.

9. A very poor economic situation with no recovery in sight. It is silly to say that things are collapsing or that the State is failing. the economic situation is very bad for anything automotive related and not likely to ever get better. automotive is a huge part of the State's economy but it is not the entire economy. Things wil balance out and the decline will stop. Will it ever get back to where it was? Not on cars it won't, but it could recover if they attract other industries.

10. Loads of clean fresh water. If anything there is too much water here. this is what will drive a renewed economy. High tech businesses need tons of water.

12. a really messed up government. we thought that CA's state government was a joke because it is so bad. I thought it impossible, but the government here is actually worse.

13. Heavily entrenched unions. Once good for workers, not just bad for business.

14. Amazing natural beauty. trees and grass everywhere. Eagles and haws land in our yard (chasing rabbits). Deer munch on our lawn. We are only 20 miles from Detroit and wildlife, woods, trees and flowers obscure the sight of the neighboring homes.

15. Smoking in Resturuants and other generally environmentally outdated thinking. Recycling is way behind other states.

16. A failing primary city (Detroit) the downtown is neat and shows some signs of recovery, but the surrounding neighborhoods aare post apocalyptic.

17. A far more wholesome atmosphere than OC generally. People are not so caught up in what you drive, wear, or what zip you live in.

18. Weeather is not as bad as we expected. A few days of extreme cold and wind are annoying. the mud is more of a problem than the cold. The weather is interesting and changes constantly. It is wonderful to take a walk on a cold morning or evening as long as there is no wind. The brisk air and clear skies are refreshing.

Overall we are glad that we moved. The economic situation is scary, but housing prices make up for that. This is blatantly a better place to raise children. If you do not like it here, then by al means go sit in a crowd in a warmer place. However if you lie it here, do not panic and run away because of the economy. Hard economic times are coming everywhere. This is as good a place to ride out the storm as any. In fact, because of the long term recession, there are some remarkable opportunities here for an enterpurnuer.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM

83 posts, read 66,074 times
None of us here have sold houses for millions in California otherwise we would not lament much.If i was a millionaire i would not care about a lot of things.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:20 PM

83 posts, read 66,074 times
In florida people do burger flipping.I have scratched that state long time ago and i am looking at getting a good education and finding the best state out there in the south..or southeast or southwest.No more north for me as i wasnt born in the north in any place in the globe.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 17,462 times
I dont think any one who sells a home for millions will be moving to Michigan. Unless there are palm trees and warm winters some where I never knew about.
Michigan is going down the tubes, I was reading posts from a year ago where all the yippie yahas were saying that michigan was doing fine, then 6 months later it was it is a hickup and will straighten out soon.
Now it is yes it is getting kind of bad but so is the rest of the country and we still have beautiful trees.
I can hear it in another year. Yes homes have dropped 70% and you can not sell one but we have such nice trees.
Spin it any way you want but Michigan is going down the tubes and any on in their right mind would not buy any real estate in Michigan. I would by junk bonds before Michigan real estate. you would have a better chance of gaining a proffit.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Here is what we found:

5. fantastic real estate bargains. We bought water front property that would cost millions in CA.

6. Remarkable people. When we tell our CA friend what people here have done for us, especially people who barely now us, our friends do not believe us.

9. A very poor economic situation with no recovery in sight. It is silly to say that things are collapsing or that the State is failing. the economic situation is very bad for anything automotive related and not likely to ever get better. automotive is a huge part of the State's economy but it is not the entire economy. Things wil balance out and the decline will stop. Will it ever get back to where it was? Not on cars it won't, but it could recover if they attract other industries.

10. Loads of clean fresh water. If anything there is too much water here. this is what will drive a renewed economy. High tech businesses need tons of water.

12. a really messed up government. we thought that CA's state government was a joke because it is so bad. I thought it impossible, but the government here is actually worse.

13. Heavily entrenched unions. Once good for workers, not just bad for business.

14. Amazing natural beauty. trees and grass everywhere. Eagles and haws land in our yard (chasing rabbits). Deer munch on our lawn. We are only 20 miles from Detroit and wildlife, woods, trees and flowers obscure the sight of the neighboring homes.

15. Smoking in Resturuants and other generally environmentally outdated thinking. Recycling is way behind other states.

16. A failing primary city (Detroit) the downtown is neat and shows some signs of recovery, but the surrounding neighborhoods aare post apocalyptic.

17. A far more wholesome atmosphere than OC generally. People are not so caught up in what you drive, wear, or what zip you live in.

18. Weeather is not as bad as we expected. A few days of extreme cold and wind are annoying. the mud is more of a problem than the cold. The weather is interesting and changes constantly. It is wonderful to take a walk on a cold morning or evening as long as there is no wind. The brisk air and clear skies are refreshing.

Overall we are glad that we moved. The economic situation is scary, but housing prices make up for that. This is blatantly a better place to raise children. If you do not like it here, then by al means go sit in a crowd in a warmer place. However if you lie it here, do not panic and run away because of the economy. Hard economic times are coming everywhere. This is as good a place to ride out the storm as any. In fact, because of the long term recession, there are some remarkable opportunities here for an enterpurnuer.
Great post Coldjensens!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,703,935 times
There is a total of 27 posts deleted in this thread.. people, please. Behave. Don't feed the trolls.
And just to stress this a bit more, I promise to give more infractions to anyone coming here to troll or attack.
Yac.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Here is what we found:

1] better than what, that answer is so general it does not mean anything, you have to compare a school to another school, not Michigan schools to ?

2] again better than what?

3] once again better than what? I have been on freeways that are much better than michigan and you last comment negates your first part.

4] once again compared to what? and where? you in this statement do not even give an example of where in michigan, detroit?

5] At least this has some real facts in it, Yes you can buy in Mi cheaper than you can buy a comparitivly sized home in cal. for much cheaper, but you forget to say that that same home in cal. will keep its high price and most likely advance more than MI will in the same time. or it is a better investment.

6] this is anecdotal at best. Your experiance is not every ones. I have heard this kind of story from people all across the nation. so it is not a reason to move to one state or another.

7] Again so? I have cleaner water where I am from, and do you mean detroit? I think not. so anecdotal.

8] Taxes are relitive, MIs taxes are higher than some less than others.

9] this statement is your opinion and you are intitled to it. I think it is an emotional responce instead of a thought out one but yours to have non the less.

10] I have no idea what this means, the great lakes were the most polouted in the nation in the 70s I know there has been a clean up effort but this is still anicdotal statment also.

11]?

12] yep.

13] yep.

14] No differant than other places and some are more beautiful than michigan. Try around north carolina south carolina, missouri,arkansas, alabama.

15] need to compare state to state

16] There is some money being pumped into detroit, but IMO it is wasted money just like the autoworld and the like in the 80s

17]not true, look at grose point, bay harbor, I know of many many places you get pulled over in gated developments if you drive rusted cars and are working there.

18] This statment depends on what you expect, if you expect palm trees you will be disapointed, if you expect dec. to may being cold and wet with limited sun, and jan and feb sub 0 you will not be disapointed. saying that the weather is not that bad is not accuarate.

19] Is it no curious how some quoat anicdotal statments as "great, right on" but question or delete anything that is not "MI is the greatest thing since sliced bread."

I thought that This type of thread was to give points of view to people who want to move from one place to anohter place.
No offence to any poster but I just do not agree with these statments as fact, opinions I do not argue with but disagree with.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM

27 posts, read 113,993 times
Default Me

I'd leave Michigan in a heart beat if my wife would agree. I have her half convinced to. The economy here stinks, the weather stinks and the job market stinks. Nuff said......

Old 01-25-2008, 05:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,780,889 times
Seems like a bunch of people leaving isn't going to help Michigan. Fewer taxes, less commerce, more houses on the market, weak economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan