Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 37,946 times

Advertisements

from the Flint area

Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
Just wondering how bad the problem is.
What is your story and why you want to make the move and where?
My Husband a 33.5year Ford employee took a buy out to help SAVE FORD MOTOR COMPANY. He was a very passionate competent part of this company.

Now he says we have 5 reasons for LEAVING MICHIGAN: November, December, January, February and March!!! We don't care for the cold weather!

Honestly Fords gave my spouse a wonderful education, he will be able to work, I plan to transfer with my company, I'm a nurse, wherever they have openings once we sell our dream house.

Grandholm put the kick in our desire to GET THE HECK OUT. How can we pay more with less lady? SEE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN TAX AND SPENDERS ARE IN CHARGE. GRRRRRRRRRR (please think before electing HILLIARY)

The south S. Carolina probabley. Cheap houses and lower pay but better cost of living too. THE BEACH THE BEACH THE BEACH

Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,468 times
Default Trapped

Still trying to figure out whether moving out of state is the best option. I'm a network engineer who lost a job of 7-years in May, found temporary work as a contractor from May to October, and am now looking again. My biggest problem is that I purchased a house in 2003 in Holt for 173K and still owe 126K on it. The house next door was sold in a foreclosure this year and the other houses that were put on the market in the subdivision this spring are still for sale. Houses simply don't appear to be selling.

I'm pursuing several job opportunities in the area and even one up in Petoskey. If none of these pan out, I guess my decision gets made for me since there just aren't that many jobs available in my field within a reasonable commute. If I can't commute, I have to move and if I have to move I don't see moving to somewhere else in MI. The job hot spots seem to be NC, TX, AZ -- if I had to choose a location independent of job availablity, it'd probably be UT,NV, or ID (some place with less snow, low humidity, and more sunshine). My crystal ball shows MI getting worse economically and probably no recovery for at least 7 years.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:38 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,317 times
We left MI in 2004 because we simply couldn't survive there! My husband couldn't find a job that paid him well enough. His only choice was factory work and we both went to college! The job market was what drove us out. We tried CA where he had family and within a couple weeks we he had a well paying job he enjoyed. We were able to pull out of our financial problems and now we're in Texas and he's finishing up air traffic control school. If we had stayed in MI we would've never pulled out of our money issues. We tried so hard and nothing helped until we left. I was born and raised there and so I know the wonderful things MI has to offer. Something has to be done about the job issues.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM

47 posts, read 152,090 times
Default Hey, Princessmichigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessemichigan View Post
We are trying to get out of Michigan fast! I like it here, we live in a very nice area, Canton to be exact. I could have seen our family staying here for the rest of our lives, although we all hate winter. My husband lost his job in June due to the company downsizing, he was with the company 16 years, and he can't seem to find another one. He's getting called for an interview here and there, but companies are intervewing a lot of people just for one job, so that makes things a little more difficult. There are a lot of people unemployed here at the moment. So we have started looking for employment in other states. We just can't continue to live this way. We've exhausted our savings, we didn't think it would take this long to find employment. We need to get out fast!
What part of Canton are you living in, we lived just north of Palmer West of Morton Taylor, in the Franklin Palmer sub. So sorry to her about your situation, we were in the same shoes. We just loved Canton, great place to live and raise children but me loosing my job and not being able to find another one really made life hard for us. We pretty much gave our house away back in April, it was only on the market for 2 weeks and it sold, then my wife and I worked 10-14 hour days to get my mother in laws house ready for us to move into, it took us a full month to flip that house in Westland, I will never forget this experience for as long as I live.
And then the move, we are so grateful for the memebers of our church that came over to help us move from Canton to Westland, we moved a 4 bedroom house, 2 car garage, 10x12 shed into a 3 bedroom, 1 car garage and a 5x5 leaky shed. You have to move and do it before things get worse, once the 13,000 plus FORD lose thir jobs, things will get much worse. Let me know if you need some info on the company that I work for here in Wichita, KS. I didn't even know where Wichita was
Good luck and please drop me a line.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,607 times
Default Back to the original topic......

We're hoping to leave Michigan because:
1. Economy/jobs. To put it simply, the whole situation stinks!
2. Climate. Sure, the winters are milder than 40 years ago, but not mild enough.
3. Fear that state budget troubles will only get worse
4. Property Taxes - not bad in our area now, but for how long???

BUT we have to sell our home first, and we're not holding our breath. It's been on the market for 7 monthes with NO offers and only three viewings.
So.........we might be here awhile yet. If we ever do leave, though, we're heading for the plains states.

Last edited by us2indaup; 11-03-2007 at 08:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 PM

BUT we have to sell ur home first, and we're not holding our breath. It's been on the market for 7 monthes with NO offers and only three viewings.
So.........we might be here awhile yet. If we ever do leave, though, we're heading for the plains states.[/quote]

That's us here in Derby, Kansas, the plains states. We like it down here. Good luck with your house, we just had an offer today for my mother in laws house in Westland
very low offer but we are taking it.
God help us all

Old 11-03-2007, 08:04 PM

[quote=
God help us all[/QUOTE]

Amen! And congrats - a low offer is better than we've had!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Amen! And congrats - a low offer is better than we've had!
Keep up the faith and be POSITIVE about it. We pray for all of our friends and family members that we left behind, maybe they will follow us soon to KS.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
Keep up the faith and be POSITIVE about it. We pray for all of our friends and family members that we left behind, maybe they will follow us soon to KS.
Thanks - we're trying to be optimistic, but with winter at hand..........
Well, at least we're not pressed to move now, like many poor souls in MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan