Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,156 times

Advertisements

My mother cosigned on a couple private student loans that I took out in college. I was paying the loans and one day when I went to submit my payments I was advised that a different company is now servicing my loans because of my co-signers bankruptcy (which I was not aware of.) The new company was United Garuntee. I contacted them and they told me that I didnt have to pay on these loans at this point because they are in a "claim" status now because of the bankruptcy (that my co-signer filed for.) I did not understand this and I continued to pay them 200$ a month for a 6 months. Every time I contacted them I had to let them know how much I was paying. I would ask when my next payment is due and they would reply there is no due date. At this point I stopped paying.

A couple of weeks ago my mothers bankruptcy was finalized and out of no where these loans popped up at a collection agency and they are telling me my loans are in default because I havent been paying. They want the whole amount or a large downpayment followed up with a payment plan.

United Garuntee has never asked me for money on these loans. So how can they be defaulted.
I have tried multiple times to set up a payment plan to pay like I was before all of this went down but apperently this is not an option.

I dont understand how my loans can go into a claim status because of something my cosigner did. This all seams sureal and I dont know what do. At this point I dont have a minumum of 5k to give them and I am trying to buy a house.

If my cosigner never filed for bankruptcy I would still be paying citibank (the original lender) and all would be ok. There was never any hardship or anything on my part.

What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
They can't legally ask you for payment if there is a pending bankruptcy. Since it is with a collection agency, you can start by doing a verification of debt or basically making them prove you owe them money. I suggest going to creditboards.com and asking over there.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,156 times
Thank you. My cosigners bankruptcy is not pending any more and that is why I am being contacted.

Why did the cosigners bankruptcy effect my loan when I was paying on it on time and in full at that point?

How is it fair to tell me I dont have to make my payments, never be contacted, and then out of no where request the entire amount of the loan to be payed?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
I know that regular student loans are not covered under bankruptcy, personal student loans, not so sure. Seems surprising that they would tell you not to pay because of the bankruptcy, then suddenly after the bankruptcy is done, it goes into collections. If they are able to be counted under a bankruptcy, then it would seem that the co-signer didn't add them in with the rest of the bills, orrrrrrr, they aren't counted because they are student loans. Strange that being a co-signer on student loans would have anything to do with a bankruptcy, since it isn't your bankruptcy and it wasn't in default. Gotta love red tape!

If that were me, I think I would contact the credit agency, send them a copy of the bankruptcy (if the loans were even on there), and see if they will forgive the loans- or, if you were sending in payments, send copies of the cancelled checks to Citibank and see what you can do there to show that you were never in default on the payments. Either way, it's going to be a pain in the butt.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM

....as an added thought, what happened to the $1200 you sent them over the six month period? Is it even showing up?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
They cannot tell you to pay because telling yo to pay when there is an active bankruptcy would be considered an attempt to collect the debt. That's a big no-no.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
They cannot tell you to pay because telling yo to pay when there is an active bankruptcy would be considered an attempt to collect the debt. That's a big no-no.
Why not? The OP is not filing for bankruptcy, the cosigner is.

It really doesn't matter as the student loans are non-dischargable under the US Bankruptcy Code.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I think it would only be considered a debt if the bank loans were on the bankruptcy- I just can't figure out the idea that the person who declared bankruptcy was a co-signer on a loan, the loan was not in default, and the only way that a co-signer would have to pay on the loan and have it considered to be theirs would be if it were in default. Plus....I can't recall reading in the previous posts (and I'm much too lazy to scroll around, it is Friday, after all!) if it was just a straight bank loan, or an actual student loan through the bank.

Years ago, I used to work for a CH 7 Trustee, combed through all of the schedules, and I know that if a debt is not added in, it isn't even counted. But the laws for CH 7 have changed so much since I worked there, that there's just no telling anymore. I even heard that they are not allowing utility bills to be added in on a bankruptcy anymore, wow. Interesting.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 14,492 times
Are the loans private, or actual student loans?

Why were the loans listed within your mothers bankruptcy? She would have had to itemized all accounts that she was planning on including within her bankruptcy. If you were not in default with your loans, she never would have been asked to resume responsibility of payment. She never should have listed the loan in the first place if she wasn't responsible for payment?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 PM

5 posts, read 7,666 times
Loans for students can be easily approved, very less paper work have to do. Bankruptcy chances increased, if students not pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan