Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 AM

494 posts, read 804,490 times

Advertisements

We are in desperate need of DE Regulation. All the regulations are the reason why we are getting killed at the pump as we lack refining capabilities especially in this state.

Per this we are now paying the highest in the whole country.
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...ntinental-U-S-

NOBODY should be use to 2 let alone 3-4+ dollar a gallon of gas. The oil etc IS there ( highest in decades ) but the refining ( To convert it to gas ) is NOT.

Need to utilize ALL of our resources and thus green, oil etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
What we are in need of is LESS corporate GREED, more accountability and less FEAR mongering. Deregulation, XL Pipeline and TArsands oil will ot solve our problem.

When big oil is making RECORD profits it is NOT because of shortages--it is because of price gouging and manipulating the market.
Once oil became a commodity that is traded on a daily basis on Wall Street, and big oil can leverage futures the only winners are Big Oil.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Other reason gas prices are so high is because of the printing presses (thus suppliers are demanding more of our dollars since the value is declining) and the instability in the middle east (thus the market manipulation because of the fear of the suplly being limited).

Theoretically, we can drill into our finite reserves now, but it's only a short term solution. And as we saw with the BP oil spill, we would take significant ecological risks doing so.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
I'll happily pay $.30 more a gallon here if it means not having fewer regulations on companies like BP, Enbridge, etc.. Small price to pay really.

What does your last sentence mean? We need to utilize all resources thus green, oil, etc..?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Less regulations will mean MORE spills and leaks like the one in Alabama--and the taxpayers left to pay the cleaning bill..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM

104 posts, read 241,599 times
I was reading the other day, I think it was in FP, about oil practices in Saudi Arabia. Since they have a country to maintain with a status-quo, and that status-quo is paid for in part by oil, they have to be very careful about how they treat the market so that they may draw even in their budget. They can do two things: Put more oil onto the market and sell more at a lower price or put less onto the market and sell at a higher price. Since the oil market is global, what the United States puts on the market impacts Saudi Arabia.

I think that if you wanted cheaper gas, the best thing to do would be to nationalize American oil production. Maybe then Newt could make his $2.50 a gallon gas pipe dream into reality.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Let's keep in mind that the oil extracted from under our soil is not ours despite what oil company commercials suggest. Their well-thought-out and scripted ad-agency creations will use words like "we" and "our" while showing American iconic images in the hope that we will accept them as home-grown "just folks" who care. Big Oil is pretty much a handful of multinationals which really have no need to compete with each other.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Actually. It was just reported that Chicago has the highest gas prices in the nation now averaging $4.44 a gallon. But I was just going to make a thread about this. These gas prices are absolutely out of control. I went to work this morning and couldn't believe my eyes when I got off this afternoon. I am so sick and tired of these unstable and unpredictable ass gas prices. My Dad told me there used to be a time where gas prices actually stayed the same for a while, no one had to go to sleep hoping the gas prices doesn't shoot up another .30 cents by tomorrow morning or leave for work early to catch the pumps before it goes up from $4.09 to $4.29 a damn gallon. I could only dream of a life like that. That's before the stock market or whoever decided to finger fu*k the oil companies of course.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'll happily pay $.30 more a gallon here if it means not having fewer regulations on companies like BP, Enbridge, etc.. Small price to pay really.

What does your last sentence mean? We need to utilize all resources thus green, oil, etc..?

I am sure everyone else scraping to get by will appreciate that.

Last sentence. It means we should not sacrifice one for another.

Ofcourse there is the issue of the speculators as well and thus the source of who/what is driving our prices up into the unknown. Unsure of what the answer is here?

Regardless this needs to be put to a end one way or another ( even if it means government intervention ) and gas prices need to be brought back to more reasonable levels. It is gonna kill our economy. It certainly won't help the state either ( bringing business/jobs aka growth ) with having the highest gas prices in the nation.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM

109 posts, read 205,505 times
I cannot help but think back to 9/11 when just out of speculation prices skyrocketed. If it was not for the state jumping in the public would of suffered greatly while the billionaires would be getting more billions. There are many issues, but I cannot believe a lot of it is anything but greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan