Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the comments everyone, please countinue to post many more.
What effects would Michigan have if China stop trading with us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
In a global free market (globalization if you will) a nation cannot maintain high wages and cheap prices. High wages produces high prices and low wages produce low prices other expenses being the same. This is due to the fact that wages/salaries are a large component of price dynamics.

American consumers salivation for cheap(er) prices are fed by American corporation’s salivation for higher profit margins. It’s a marriage made in heaven but like most marriages in America, the romance and happiness will be short lived.

Companies can only increase their profit margins by capturing market share and sales volume at the expense of higher wage companies. So early on those who offshore and use cheap labor by other means will gain the most. Overtime, however, other American companies that want to stay in business have to do the same thing and eventually the buying power of the American consumer is reduced because due to being paid less.

It’s the transition period of going from a high wage nation to a lower wage nation that is the most profitable. As soon as low wages saturate the American workforce, there is no more advantage to be gained from having a cheaper labor component cost of price over the competition as the price point for labor has reached equilibrium. At that point the standard of living of Americas middle class and poor will be effectively eroded, while corporate elites get richer by profiting immensely from turning America into a moderate, if not low wage nation from that of a high wage nation.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In a global free market (globalization if you will) a nation cannot maintain high wages and cheap prices. High wages produces high prices and low wages produce low prices other expenses being the same. This is due to the fact that wages/salaries are a large component of price dynamics.

American consumers salivation for cheap(er) prices are fed by American corporation’s salivation for higher profit margins. It’s a marriage made in heaven but like most marriages in America, the romance and happiness will be short lived.

Companies can only increase their profit margins by capturing market share and sales volume at the expense of higher wage companies. So early on those who offshore and use cheap labor by other means will gain the most. Overtime, however, other American companies that want to stay in business have to do the same thing and eventually the buying power of the American consumer is reduced because due to being paid less.

It’s the transition period of going from a high wage nation to a lower wage nation that is the most profitable. As soon as low wages saturate the American workforce, there is no more advantage to be gained from having a cheaper labor component cost of price over the competition as the price point for labor has reached equilibrium. At that point the standard of living of Americas middle class and poor will be effectively eroded, while corporate elites get richer by profiting immensely from turning America into a moderate, if not low wage nation from that of a high wage nation.
Ouch. Fonts too small for these old eyes.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
"American consumers salivation for cheap(er) prices are fed by American corporation’s salivation for higher profit margins. It’s a marriage made in heaven but like most marriages in America, the romance and happiness will be short lived."
And, of course, nothing more amusing and/or sad than a Chevy with a "BuyAmerican" bumpersticker parked out there in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
I will still check all my replies, but from here on out I will stop posting a thank you comment. You will see fewer of my replies on the same thread to messages, and questions. Due to making new threads, I cannot keep track of each and every message thanking everyone. So thank you everyone who have posted comments and those to come in the future. I look forward to reading you comments but my replies and thank you messages will rarely be seen. (I posted this message due to the fact many people I run into like to see replies from the person who post the thread and see how their comments help the person who posted the thread.)
Thank you-
Moderator please read my reason for editing this thread.

Last edited by 100%Michigan; 11-13-2007 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Moderator may close this thread.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 AM

83 posts, read 66,393 times
The rich in America will be very few and they will have to invest overseas.The standard here will be leveled out with China if not get below China.Mark my word as America has nothing going.If you think technology..think again...The rest of the world catched up and there is no WWII position for America left...Americwill be nothing but a replacement of other countries standard and it could go lower with all this population.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 AM

83 posts, read 66,393 times
I see green if Michigan focuses on farming as food prices will grow like oil and there is room for the metals and other raw materials...Nobody really needs technology unless it`s cheap...Already..foreign oil companies dont need extraction technologies...So its only food and raw materials...

Old 12-08-2007, 08:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,185 times
Default Detroit will turn things around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think we should look at the “changing world” abstractly instead of nominally. In other words, instead of seeing the assembly line worker or the nuts and bolts worker as the poster child of who will be hurt by the changing world, we need to look a little deeper so that no one is given a false sense of security. Manufacturing jobs were threatened because people in other nations could assemble goods a lot cheaper. Well…..manufacturing is not the only profession that can be done cheaper someplace else. Engineers, Computer scientist, Architects and a host of others professions can be just as easily off shored as manufacturing and in fact are. The only professions in America that are safe are professional services where it is imperative that the service provider be local….like a doctor, physical therapist or any health care related profession, lawyers, judges, police, fireman, cashier, waitress, retail clerk, food service personnel….for example.

America for a long time drained the brains from the rest of the world. The best and brightest of many then third world nations could only find opportunity in the US. Many were attracted here to attend prestigious US universities which are in abundance and lacking in their own nation. If you look at the graduate schools of American universities, they are close to being majority foreign students. The trend now is that more of these bright foreign students are going back to their native country and finding opportunities and not become a benefit for the US economy. Another trend is that many nations like China and India are evolving their own highly accredited top notch universities. Therefore, the “brain drain” trend that benefit the US economy is slowing as the best and brightest of many nations are staying in their own country to the benefit of their countries economy and competitiveness.

Somehow American seems to have this notion that we are inherently the smartest people on earth. We keep thinking that knowledge capital is ultimately what is going to keep the US economy on top of the world. What? Did I miss something? The last I checked US students were not even ranked in the top 10 globally in math and science testing and the trend is that we keep falling further behind. As I pointed out earlier, the majority of Graduate students at the best universities in this country, certainly in disciplines like, Engineering and computer science, are foreign students. If we cannot drain the brains of other nations like we have done in the past, how do we expect to maintain intellectual advantage? We can’t.

This country is going to take a BIG hit reality check over the next 10 years that will force some structural changes in America. Old paradigms will have to be scraped and our nation will have to be “reinvented” to stabilize itself to compete in a changing world.
How can you not look at the 'nuts and bolts' when it is the nuts and bolts that holds this city together. If everyone who lives in the city keeps putting their city down, don't you know that it makes for a low morale. I guess the question is, what are YOU doing that is going to change Detroit for the better? Certainly all the negative talking is not motivating anyone into doing anything positive: if anything, it would discourage any prospective business from moving here and discourage anyone from thinking that there is anything they can do to make things better.
Yes, my neighborhood may be just a hole in the wall but as the hole gets bigger the whole wall will come down. Improvement has to start somewhere and it may as well be in my neighborhood. I have created a blog at blogspot 'views of detroit' to do my part in promoting good news of the city. We all must do our part and not just shove all the blame on others. Yes, this whole nation is in a pickle, but its the 'nuts and bolts' that assists in holding things together.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETI View Post
I see green if Michigan focuses on farming as food prices will grow like oil and there is room for the metals and other raw materials...Nobody really needs technology unless it`s cheap...Already..foreign oil companies dont need extraction technologies...So its only food and raw materials...
A lot of the good farm land has been paved under, houses built for urban sprawl. Farms and orchards require land -- and land is at a premium.

Too bad someone doesn't really get working on building alternate energy cars -- affordable ones that the average person could look at.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
Those who say we need to get rid of the Big 3 don't know what they are talking about...Yes we need to clean up the absurd waste, huge bonuses, executive's pay, abuse of the workman's comp system.. Instead of giving all these ridiculous bonuses to management (how they sleep at night is beyond me) why not hire someone to clean up all the crookedness....If the Big 3 only banked their profits and saved for a rainy day, they wouldn't be in this predicament. All these buyouts and bonuses were not give out years ago....WHY NOW?? You don't need a degree to figure that out....MY GOD executives just because it's not YOUR money personally doesn't give you the right to waste it....We are on this earth to help each other....I truly believe that's how we are going to be judged. We all make mistakes, noone is perfect but for the love of God, let's all wake up.....

One more thing, I forgot to mention. All of you that buy foreign cars, did you know that NONE of them donated to Katrina and other catastrophes...ONLY the BIG 3 did....So not only are you supporting foreign countries by buying their cars, you are also showing your indifference to humanity....Foreign countries are laughing at us.....we need to end NAFTA...once and for all and we need to bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

Last edited by Yac; 05-18-2009 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: 2 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan