Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times

Advertisements

I believe Michigan economy has the room to get better, and maybe even rise as well as California, or such state with a wealthy economy. I also see Michigan as a family friendly place, and well educated as well as clean. I like to get the point of views of other people rather you live in Michigan or not. Do you think Michigan economy has room to get better? If so how well do you think it will get. I also would like to know what is your impression of Michigan as a whole, as well as how do other people you know see Michigan. I'm concern that people may see Michigan as a poverty, and clamity area. So with all that being said, please give me your point of view.

(http://www.visitgrandrapids.org/downtown-exit-main.php - broken link)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-29-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Michigan is great. Toss out the deadwood that would rather live in the South and get back to business of growth. Ditch the Granmole and company, too.

The state will be wealthier and more prosperous once GM/Ford/Chrysler/UAW are GONE.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:30 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I wonder is this is a college students post? Hypothesis anyone.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
MI needs some pruning. First thing that MI has to get rid of is most of the families who flooded in during the 20th century with only a pulse and four limbs b/c of the Big 3. These families are fat cats now keeping MI down and most of the decendants don't fall far from the tree. They are flooding back to places like TN, NC, SC, GA, AZ, NV so this is happening as we speak. It's time for new people to have a chance based on their merit, not b/c grandpa joined the union back in 1936. Manufacturing in the US is dying and wait until China starts making cars with their labor costs and disregard for the environment. Once MI reinvents itself based an educated labor force and innovative initiatives packaged around its unique offerings, such as the Great Lakes, perhaps the state will be a leader in the Union again. Otherwise, it's hello Iowa, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by Cato the Elder; 11-06-2007 at 05:51 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 AM

86 posts, read 267,744 times
That first picture looks like where Arcadia Bluffs golf course washed out into Lake Michigan!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default Buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Michigan is great. Toss out the deadwood that would rather live in the South and get back to business of growth. Ditch the Granmole and company, too.

The state will be wealthier and more prosperous once GM/Ford/Chrysler/UAW are GONE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
MI needs some pruning. First thing that MI has to get rid of is most of the families who flooded in during the 20th century with only a pulse and four limbs b/c of the Big 3. These families are fat cats now keeping MI down and most of the decendants don't fall far from the tree. They are flooding back to places like TN, NC, SC, GA, AZ, NV so this is happening as we speak. It's time for new people to have a chance based on their merit, not b/c grandpa joined the union back in 1936. Manufacturing in the US is dying and wait until China starts making cars with their labor costs and disregard for the environment. Once MI reinvents itself based an educated labor force and innovative initiatives packaged around its unique offerings, such as the Great Lakes, perhaps the state will be a leader in the Union again. Otherwise, it's hello Iowa, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As outsider I couldn't agree with both of you more. I just going to wait a watch a bit until I think all the deadwood is gone and then. Buy! Buy! Buy!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 AM

47 posts, read 152,081 times
Default Pictures

Those pictures almost brought tears to my eyes.
We moved out almost 3 months ago and are starting fresh all over again in a new place here in Wichita, KS. Believe me we had no choice, I couldn't find a decent job to support a family of 5, after getting let go from a car supplier, they even told me that the project that I was working on will be done in India. So much for being loyal to my american made cars. It was hard leaving family and friends and everything that we ever knew. I am back working again and getting a paychek so that is good but my heart still in Michigan, I will miss the beautiful lakes.
I wish and hope that things will turn around for the state. I agree that Michigan needs pruning all over the place from Lansing all the way down to Kwami K. That's were most of the pruning should take place and put some people in charge who care about the people and not about their wallets.
I still feel like all of this things that we have been going thru since March is all a bad dream and that I will wake up from it.
Stay positive and just know that Michigan is a beautiful place to be, it has a lot to offer. Just like the saying goes, "You don't know what you have till it's gone".
God bless....................

Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times
Default I would love to retire there

We were in Flint in August and, although parts look like a war zone, the southwest part of town apparently is doing well as far as sustaining commerce. Decent hotels, restaurants, and all of the big-box stores.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s, when times were good. But people have to realize that those days are gone and move on. Southeastern Michigan needs to reinvent itself. I agree that the sooner the Big 3 mentality and its adherents are gone, things will get better. Look at the cities like Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor that didn't revolve around the auto industry, that are doing well and have a stable population.

Not sure if either of us could take the winters, especially after living in mild climates since 1975. But being retired would make a difference. My father-in-law and his wife still live in Flint Township, have a huge freezer and pantry and, if the weather is that bad, they stay inside.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Michigan has almost nothing BUT room for improvement right now, to take your question literally. But there is a ton of potential here.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
I'm surprise to hear all the good comments on Michigan, because I thought I was about the only one who thought Michigan had time to recover. I'm glad others oppinion was close to mines. I also agree that Michigan was almost built on the Motor City, and when GM goes down the whole state falls with it. Michigan poverty is starting to get out of hand... but I'am starting to see more reconstruction in the major cities ( speaking other than Detroit. ) Michigan has great potential, and needs to start showing it. With all the water surrounding Michigan, our economy should be booming... but then again I'm sorta glad our economy isnt excellent because the state may become more expensive as well as the home market.
Thanks again everyone for all you replies, rather you have or havent posted a comment on this thread please do so... hearing more oppinions on Michigan economy is helping me and hopefully even others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan