Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

By quite a bit. Good or a bad thing?

Top US States for New Manufacturing Jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Great. Never a bad thing. I just hope MI is working just as hard to try and DIVERSIFY it's economy.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 AM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Great. Never a bad thing. I just hope MI is working just as hard to try and DIVERSIFY it's economy.
Yep i agree.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Except.. that report is based on BLS data, so assembling a "Big Mac" is a "manufacturing" job..

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Except.. that report is based on BLS data, so assembling a "Big Mac" is a "manufacturing" job..
Uhhh, no. That's classified under "food and beverage server." How do they classify "pool boys" in Arizona?

A little more analysis:

http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/18702

Last edited by magellan; 07-03-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM

391 posts, read 906,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
By quite a bit. Good or a bad thing?

Top US States for New Manufacturing Jobs
It's a great, great thing...particularly because it's not all auto-related manufacturing. Now, if some of those jobs can keep Michigan college graduates from leaving our state that would be icing on the cake.
I'm afraid that's a ways off though.
Anyway, great news and thanks for sharing it.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
It's a great, great thing...particularly because it's not all auto-related manufacturing. Now, if some of those jobs can keep Michigan college graduates from leaving our state that would be icing on the cake.
I'm afraid that's a ways off though.
Anyway, great news and thanks for sharing it.
I'm actually thinking it doesn't really matter if Michigan college grads leave the state. They're generally not paid well and don't have a lot of disposable income. Getting people in their late 20's, early 30's to move here (or back here) is a better bet. They're more likely to be settled in their career track, more likely to start businesses, etc..

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'm actually thinking it doesn't really matter if Michigan college grads leave the state. They're generally not paid well and don't have a lot of disposable income. Getting people in their late 20's, early 30's to move here (or back here) is a better bet. They're more likely to be settled in their career track, more likely to start businesses, etc..
I don't understand......if MI college grads can't make good coin in Michigan.....then why would others move there?

At first glance, I was quite happy for MI folks with the added jobs. So.....I decided to reach out to my old boss in SE Michigan to see if his 'lil venture was hiring.

They sure are!

Woot!

They want 5 years experience in the machining trade, wheel in the old toolbox worth about $2000, and efficiently edit/create G code.

12 bucks per hour to start.

Manufacturing wages have not changed in 20 years.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Texas, Red States Beat Blue States On Jobs, Growth - Liberty Crier

Whoops.

2001 - 2011 data.

Michigan couldn't have possibly done worse.

While I applaud MI's efforts, there is still a long....long.....way to go......

You folks know that I love Michigan with all of my heart.......but......I can't overlook the devastation that has occurred.

Send water.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Yaz
I do not know whether or the info you shared is accurate & where that site got the information for the basis of the article you shared via a link but I absolutely do know that your link came from ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council. ALEC is very definitely a conservative, some would call right wing, association that very actively disseminates info that is pro business & anti anything liberal or moderate for that matter. Some of the best known members of ALEC are the infamous Koch Brothers.
My point is, that I would be cautious in completely agreeing with and sharing info from a site or organization, whether it be a left or right-leaning group, because there is likely to some measure of coloring or interpreting of raw data going on that favors the beliefs of the organization, in this case ALEC. Rather I would personally choose to show job stats from the nonpartisan Bureau of Labor Statistics web site.
In fact, the data does cover an entire decade during which Michigan did perform extremely poorly in jobs but more recent data does lend credence to the notion that the state has turned the corner & is headed in the right direction with job growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan