Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times

Advertisements

One of the 47 states you must have missed was New Jersey. There all gas stations are full service, and it is very common for the attendants to hold out their hand for a tip. If you can't afford a buck or two -you probably shouldn't be driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 02:58 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
A Shell station that was always self serve started having attendants who came to pump people's gas for them. If I should have tipped I guess I just didn't think of it at the time. I did quit going there because I like to pump my own gas. I have no idea if this station has continued on as full service or gone back to self serve. I can barely afford gas when it gets as high as it's been. I'd rather not have to tip for something I can do for myself.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
One of the 47 states you must have missed was New Jersey. There all gas stations are full service, and it is very common for the attendants to hold out their hand for a tip. If you can't afford a buck or two -you probably shouldn't be driving.

Hate saying it but many out this way ( same in Ohio ) do not know proper tipping etiquette vs back east along the coast.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Not normal, but just somebody's bright idea. I notice many places encourage tipping but without the hard sell. Could be a desperate sign of the times.
A local bartender stopped serving me for some reason after the first drink - I'm assuming because I didn't tip. Speculation, but I can think of no other reason. Like I said, just an individual decision.
Well the bartender was absolutely right to stop serving you. I don’t know about gas station attendants but I do know that places get away with paying servers and bartenders WAY below minimum wage because people are supposed to tip. Asking that person to serve you without tipping is like asking them to work for you without paying. You can say all day long you don’t believe in that system but you benefit from it with the lower price you pay because the place doesn’t pay their staff a living wage. Your $4 drink would be a $7 drink if they paid the people working there a living wage. So if you want to be the jerk who doesn’t “pay into that system” inform your server that you don’t tip because you don’t believe in it so they can make the decision how much free work they do for you. I’m sure you are a coward and would never do this and will continue to benefit from a system that is set up on the assumption that people will do the right thing. Or you could do the right thing and tip them the few dollars that I highly doubt with break your bank. I always tip just a dollar or two more than what is considered average and I get fantastic service every where I go. You would think this would be common decency. That is how those people pay their rent.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Homeless people do this sometimes.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:09 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pky0 View Post
Well the bartender was absolutely right to stop serving you.
Gotta disagree on that point.
First for clarification, I am a tipper....usually 20% plus and I tip my drinks, although I usually run a tab and tip the total at the end.

But if the bartender is an employee he has a responsibility to his employer to provide good service to the customers. Even the occasional customer who doesn't tip. It is not the bartenders job, duty, right or responsibility to decide who gets served and who doesn't short of intoxication concerns.
Now you can be a little slow in offering another round but how does the bartender know the guy won't leave a 20 when he walks away?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
It'll be a cold day in Hell (not Hell Michigan, lol) when I'll tip a gas station attendant for pumping gas. Not that I've seen that happen in Michigan for like 30 years or more.

That's like these people putting tips jars out when you pickup takeout through a drive-through window. They've got balls to do that if you ask me...

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I was in Sault Ste Marie last month and needed to get gas to head back to the Metro. I got out and looked at the pump and saw there was no card reader, then a dude jumped out of the station building pumped my gas for me. He was super professional about it and I'm pretty sure it was his job. I was really confused by the whole situation. I remember my wife sitting in our car asking, "Uh.. so... do we tip him? How much do you tip a gas pumper guy?" Ultimately we had no idea. He handed my card back and rushed off to the next car before we could.

No idea if that was proper etiquette on my part, but yeah - there are placed in rural Michigan where this happens.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Here in Oregon the attendants don't seem to even expect a tip. They just take my card, give it back, pump the gas, and ask me if I want the recept. The only clue I might get that they are trying to get a tip is if they clean my windshield, which is not often. But if they do it, I keep a couple dollar bills handy in my car and give them one.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM

133 posts, read 75,215 times
Quote:
Even if you're on your way to your minimum wage job that doesn't cover the basics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Here in Oregon the attendants don't seem to even expect a tip. They just take my card, give it back, pump the gas, and ask me if I want the recept. The only clue I might get that they are trying to get a tip is if they clean my windshield, which is not often. But if they do it, I keep a couple dollar bills handy in my car and give them one.
People don't tip gas station attendants out west, whether or not they clean your windshields. That seems to be an East Coast thing, possibly because employers pay less back east?.

People originally started tipping food workers because employers were able to get away with paying criminally low wages. That's still the case in most states where employers are allowed to pay their employees below the federal minimum wage on the theory that they'll get enough tips to make up for it. In many states employers don't have to pay their workers any more than $2.13/hour and in a lot of other states it's not much higher. https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

I can understand tipping gas station workers if they're being paid such low wages, but in Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Montana, and Minnesota employers have to pay their workers at the state minimum wage. The minimum wage in Oregon is $10.75/hour.

Of course you still might want to give them a tip. It can be tough to get by on minimum wage in places with a high cost of living. But in case you were wondering, it's not expected and actually seems kind of strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan