Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,956 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to Michigan in a few weeks for a new job in Livonia. I am originally from Chicago. I currently live in the heart of downtown Chicago so restaurants, bars and various activities are very close to me. I'm looking for help choosing an area near Livonia where lots of young professionals live. I also NEED to live in an area with lots of cultural activities. Such as restaurants, art galleries, museums, etc. I don' want to commute any farther than 30 minutes to and from work in Livonia. Its also important to me to live in a diverse neighborhood. Some areas that were suggested to me: Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Detroit Riverwalk, Ann Arbor and Birmingham.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
I moved to the area from Los Angeles which is a city similar to Metro Detroit where you need a car to get around. So you can live anywhere in Metro Detroit and drive to any restaurant, art gallery, museum you like. However, I think you might be looking for an urban feel with shops and restaurants where people walk around. If so, than I would recommend downtown Royal Oak or downtown Ferndale. This is where you will find cafes, restaurants, etc. If you want something even more upscale with than you should look at Birmingham. You also may want to look at downtown Plymouth or downtown Ann Arbor. Museums are nice, but really? Will you be going to a museum on such a basis that you need to live close to one??? Museums like the Henry Ford Museum (nothing like it in the world) is in Dearborn, Cranbrook is in Bloomfield, Detroit Institute of Arts is in Midtown. I do not recommend Detroit riverwalk right now. It will take another 7 to 15 years before Downtown Detroit will have the dense population and amenities worthwhile. It is being developed but it still needs more time. So, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Birmingham, Plymouth, and Ann Arbor.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Firstly, no place in Michigan will rival anything like downtown Chicago so you might need a little adjustment period. Nonetheless, the most similar to Chicago of the places you were suggested would probably be Ann Arbor in terms of diversity.

After that Midtown/Downtown Detroit would probably be your next option which has a lot of cultural amenities and a fair amount of YPs. It's not as big or contiguous as downtown Chicago, but it's the most urban compared to the other areas. Though actually, it's very hard to move here because so many people are trying to move downtown with no much space for them to move to... there's not much major development going on.

Birmingham is a popular area for professionals in general and it's very upper-class (relatively expensive). But it's much more of a dense suburban setting; ie, large SFHs on small lots, relatively few condos and apartments, and a walkable downtown but very small.

Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield are your typical suburban settings; Mcmansions, strips malls, and the like. Not very urban.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:46 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdneveles1 View Post
Hello,

I am moving to Michigan in a few weeks for a new job in Livonia. I am originally from Chicago. I currently live in the heart of downtown Chicago so restaurants, bars and various activities are very close to me. I'm looking for help choosing an area near Livonia where lots of young professionals live. I also NEED to live in an area with lots of cultural activities. Such as restaurants, art galleries, museums, etc. I don' want to commute any farther than 30 minutes to and from work in Livonia. Its also important to me to live in a diverse neighborhood. Some areas that were suggested to me: Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, Detroit Riverwalk, Ann Arbor and Birmingham.

Thanks for your help
For culture, Livonia and most suburbs ain't it.
Some neat stuff in Dearborn, North Woodward corridor (hipster action), and Detroit itself (the best). Detroit's cultural gems are largely hidden away and not advertised, so it could be fun to connect with other "insiders" to hunt down and explore them. Although the scene is smaller in scale than Chicago, there should be enough to keep you busy. Except for Ann Arbor, that's it.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

123 posts, read 224,431 times
Based on your "NEEDS" Ann Arbor would be your best bet. You would also have a slight advantage in your commute since Ann Arbor to Livonia on M-14 in the morning and returning in the evening is somewhat easier than the other way around.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Downtown/ Midtown Detroit. It's the closest you will get to downtown Chicago as far as the whole urban feel thing goes. Ann Arbor is the next best thing.

After those two the scales are smaller and the commutes are worse. I would go with the Woodward Corridor (Royal Oak, Birmingham, ect).

Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
What is your budget and are you looking to rent a home or apartment? What is your age?
I really like Birmingham area but some find it boring. You may like Royal Oak area which has what I feel is a younger population and more things going on in terms of bars. I think they may have some loft rentals too if you are interested in that.
I am a quiet person and grew up near West Bloomfield and would own a home there but it is more family living with shopping plazas and just has a different feel then RO. I am not familiar with Ann Arbor but hear especially from people moving from out of state that they enjoy it there. Some parts though are a college town area and I would not be a fan of living in that as I would assume some apartments would be filled with that.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:23 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,941,150 times
Others have hit on the usual places:

Downtown / Midtown - obviously not anything like Chicago, but still has the "edge", kind of like up-and-coming area thats you mind find in Chicago. Still kind of urban pioneer-like. It is not for everyone though. It lacks many of the ammenities and creature comforts that one would find in an area like Chicago, specifically retail. Tends to be a mix of hipster, student, and young professional. One of the major benefits to living downtown is that if you work in downtown, but you wouldn't really get this and still have a reverse commute out to Livonia.

Ann Arbor - great overall town, unlike really anything else in Michigan. The town is great for students and also young professionals. Unlike some college towns, there is a large young professional crowd in Ann Arbor and many times of businesses that cater to this crowd. Actually, has a favorable, all-highway commute to Livonia.

North Woodward Corridor - (Ferndale, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods, Berkley, Birmingham). All of these are solid potential areas for young professionals with downtown Royal Oak being the center of nightlife in the area. Birmingham being a second - more upscale, more expensive, and generally more older crowd area of nightlife. Plenty of housing options including rental homes, apartment buildings, and loft-style open floor plans. Nothing like Chicago, as these areas are all bedroom communities, but are more densely populated communities that attract many post-college grads, young professionals, and younger families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan