U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM

95 posts, read 221,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Too small??
The OP stated "around 5k-20k", so probably too small.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 35,028 times
Yeah, anything under 5k is too small for me. Sorry. I'm interested in Traverse City and Petoskey. Can anyone tell me what those two cities are like? I'd like to visit them sometime this year.

I guess I should explain why I created this thread. Well, I'm 18 years old and I will be going to college soon. I'm planning on doing a 2-year vet tech program at a local college. So, I mean, 2 years isn't that far away and I'm so sick and tired of living next to Detroit. I've had it with big cities. My aunt lives in a small city close to me. I had my graduation party there. I love it! No loud noises or gunshots at night, not so crowded, nicer people. Cool little shops and restaurants. It's just nice and quiet and cozy. So I'd like to visit some other small cities just to get a feel of them, if I like them or not. I also go up North a lot, and it just seems that people up there are more caring and friendly. I don't like where I live anymore. I want to see trees, animals, water, nature, etc. when I look out my window. Not graffiti and boarded up drug houses.

Last edited by Pocooo; 07-09-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM

302 posts, read 655,975 times
If you are interested in up North locations like Traverse City, Marquette and Escanaba, don't forget Michigan's oldest city (founded in 1668), Sault Ste. Marie! With a population of 14,144 the Soo fits into your desired population range, and right across the St. Mary's river in Canada we also have Sault Ste. Marie Ontario with a population of 75,141 if you want a taste of a bigger city from time to time.

Sault Ste. Marie, MI | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Downtown Sault Ste. Marie 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

022 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

PA020133 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

downtown 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Downtown Sault Ste. Marie | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

P9280047 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Museum Ship Valley Camp | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
We have the Museum Ship Valley Camp here, an old Lake Freighter turned into a Great Lakes ship museum. They have a lot of cool exhibits, including some of the lifeboats from the Edmund Fitzgerald!

The Locks X | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The Soo is also of course home to the Soo Locks.

Methodist church | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The Soo is home to many historic churches.

PA060066 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

LSSU banner | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
If you are looking at colleges, Sault Ste. Marie is home to Lake Superior State University, which occupies the site of Historic Fort Brady.

Bald Eagles | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And where ever you go in the Upper Peninsula, you aren't far from nature! These Bald Eagles were hanging out in my backyard for almost a week last fall, right here in Sault Ste. Marie not far from downtown!

You should also look at Houghton, I've heard it's a pretty cool town and they have Michigan Tech out there too. I also liked Menominee when I visited, they have the DeYoung Family Zoo near there which is amazing, and it's only an hour away from Green Bay. Not sure of the college options in the Menominee area, though.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM

494 posts, read 717,977 times
I would add Marshall to the list.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,231 times
Unhappy sadie66,

Hello, Anyone from north Carolina, have any info on cities, close to beach, ocean reasonable housing, wanting to move there but not sure whats a good city heard things and have 14 yr old granddaughter with me, have to worry about her safety first, but need to be at least no more than 15 miles from beach anyone help please i am:think up north and desperately want to move asap just want to do it right please help please thanks Sadie

Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 PM

302 posts, read 655,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie66 View Post
Hello, Anyone from north Carolina, have any info on cities, close to beach, ocean reasonable housing, wanting to move there but not sure whats a good city heard things and have 14 yr old granddaughter with me, have to worry about her safety first, but need to be at least no more than 15 miles from beach anyone help please i am:think up north and desperately want to move asap just want to do it right please help please thanks Sadie
You'll want to make a thread in the North Carolina forum //www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/, they'd be best able to help you there.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:32 PM

493 posts, read 1,324,751 times
We visited Traverse City a few weeks ago for the first time in many years, and enjoyed the quaint downtown area.
I would think that the major downside of living there year-round would be the influx of the unwashed masses in the summer.
It seemed crowded enough at the end of May, before schools were out for the summer.
The other problem might be the cost of living and property.

We drove from St. Joseph to Mackinaw City along Lake Michigan, and down Lake Huron to Bay City and around the Thumb to Port Huron. I was photographing lighthouses. Downtown Alpena was nice, but it was hard to find the selection of good hotels on that side of the state.

From the photos, it looks like Sault Ste. Marie has been cleaned up since we visited in 1989. At that time, we were happy to be staying on the Canadian side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan