Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM

8 posts, read 26,261 times

Advertisements

Hello

I was driving with an expired license, I never knew that it was expired. I did not got any communication in the mail from SOS. I called SOS they said sending communication is just courtesy and not mandatory by law.

I got a ticket today and have to appear in court in next 10 days.

Can you please let me that what should I do/say when in court.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Sorry? Hard to explain this one. Beg forgiveness and write a check...

Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortduck View Post
Hello

I was driving with an expired license, I never knew that it was expired. I did not got any communication in the mail from SOS. I called SOS they said sending communication is just courtesy and not mandatory by law.

I got a ticket today and have to appear in court in next 10 days.

Can you please let me that what should I do/say when in court.

Thanks
You mean to avoid penalty? With the citation they are locked into the law, since "ignorance of the law is no excuse".
Saying "I didn't know" might just make them more angry and precipitate a lecture on your responsibility as a citizen.
Better to throw yourself on the mercy of the court, slap your head and say "My bad", in other words, suck up - but not too obvious. Don't ask the judge "How's the wife and kids?" (if male) or say something like "Love your robe".

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Was awarded 2 points, do you think saying sorry Sorry and writing check can make the judge write off the 2 point. This is my first ever ticket.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM

No I did not meant avoiding penalty. I know I have to pay 150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
You mean to avoid penalty? With the citation they are locked into the law, since "ignorance of the law is no excuse".
Saying "I didn't know" might just make them more angry and precipitate a lecture on your responsibility as a citizen.
Better to throw yourself on the mercy of the court, slap your head and say "My bad", in other words, suck up - but not too obvious. Don't ask the judge "How's the wife and kids?" (if male) or say something like "Love your robe".

Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
I never had to go to court for expired tabs

Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
Quote:
Was awarded 2 points, do you think saying sorry Sorry and writing check can make the judge write off the 2 point. This is my first ever ticket.

Thanks
That could work. Say you made a bone-headed mistake. Cite your previous incident-free driving history and the hardship of points on your record which could affect insurance costs and everything else. As a citizen, you "hate to have even a small a blot on your record". Even though you forgot to renew, it shouldn't alter your safe driving record - they're different issues.
Pretty sure you're not the first to ever forget, and they probably see these cases all the time. It may be routine for them and they want to get a little money into their coffers (don't say this though).
Are you sure you must appear? If not, and you're concerned only about the points, that would be the only reason for your appearance. Now, I don't know if those points disappear at some point. I would get information from the court itself before my appearance. Ask how serious those points are and if they are permanent. They probably want to cooperate with the citizenry, and may even advise you on the best course of action. Don't know why the secretary of state couldn't advise you on this since they deal with licensing.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 07-17-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:

Thanks

Ain't no way outta that--unless you CALL LEE FREE

Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,180 times
tell the judge you have dementia

Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
You're only hope is to make sure that your license is renewed by the time you go to court. Explain that it was simply an oversight, that you didn't receive a renewal notice from the state (how long had it been expired?) and simply ask if there is any way for the points to be waived. Maybe there is. Maybe not. It doesn't hurt to ask...but you need to make sure your license is current at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan