Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM

5,585 posts, read 987,493 times

Advertisements

Having had lived near Jackson on the west side for nearly 30 yrs. This is what I really think of Jackson. Jackson is Ok to shop & dine. I absolutely hate living so close to Jackson. From my experiences we have had the misfortune of having a few uneducated neighbors seemingly feeling the need to scream derogatory & mean words when ever one is out side of their home. I've lived in 3 different locations around Jackson. always my family minding our own business, unfortunately we'd end up with a handful of neighbors who couldn't do the same like wise.

Some schools are fine, others not so much.

Everyone in Jackson looking/appearing gaunt -- haha. You need to take a better look around Jackson if you believe that.

Not so sure I believe the population is heavily prison employed.

I'm sure any city has mean & tough rough bunch. Ya, Jackson is no exception, like so many other places though.

Do I feel safe? only if I stay in the safer areas, & I have learned where they are at. I stay away from the south side, & keep a watchful eye out when I have to be on the east side. The north & west side are the safest areas of Jackson - IMO.

Strong points: various events, Shakespeare festival, Civil War Muster, the Cascades-water fall. Other events like so many other cities, -- annual fair, farmers markets through out Summer. Jackson has it's own famous ice cream Parlour, (21 scoop dare to be great). Various locations have live music, etc.

Weak points: like other cities,-- crime, also high unemployment. Some times when I need to be in a sketchy area - business related, I feel I need to dumb down, just so the rough & tough dudes don't think I'm all that & a rich gal. I figure if I act like an outcast,,,, just maybe they will leave me alone. You just don't want to show you're of higher superiority than what they are when you need to be in their territory. They watch you like a hawk.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan