Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times

Advertisements

Here's a picture of this store: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Ypsilanti.JPG

I meant to title this thread "A&P in Ypsilanti... when did it close" but what seemed like a spam filter forbade a title with an ampersand. And in case you had forgotten, A&P is a supermarket chain now only found in Northeastern states, but it used to be all over the USA. Not sure but I am assuming the stores with the A&P name in Michigan closed a very long time ago, but A&P owned Farmer Jack which went out of business in 2007.

Also, could the CVS next door to the A&P/O'Reilly have been a Peoples Drug drugstore long ago? That was a Washington DC-based chain found all over the East Coast but I am not sure about Michigan. They were bought by CVS in 1991.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
May be a Cunningham Drugs?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
A LONG time ago. That storefront has been an autoparts store for at least 20 years. It was Murray's, until a couple years ago when the Murray's was rebranded O'Reilly (funny story, I moved from Ann Arbor 7 years ago to CA. When I left, they were all Murray's. In CA, there are a bunch of O'Reilly's, and have been so for a long time. I spend last summer in Ann Arbor, and I come back to O'Reilly's).

In 97, I lived down the street while spending a year at EMU, driving past that Murray's every day. It had been a Murray's for a while by then.

Something else interesting about A&P: with their massive expansion post-WWI, they had a policy where they would open a store and sell everything at a loss to drive out the competition. It worked, and the Robinson-Patman Act was passed to prevent it. That's now 15 USC 13.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
A LONG time ago. That storefront has been an autoparts store for at least 20 years. It was Murray's, until a couple years ago when the Murray's was rebranded O'Reilly (funny story, I moved from Ann Arbor 7 years ago to CA. When I left, they were all Murray's. In CA, there are a bunch of O'Reilly's, and have been so for a long time. I spend last summer in Ann Arbor, and I come back to O'Reilly's).

In 97, I lived down the street while spending a year at EMU, driving past that Murray's every day. It had been a Murray's for a while by then.

Something else interesting about A&P: with their massive expansion post-WWI, they had a policy where they would open a store and sell everything at a loss to drive out the competition. It worked, and the Robinson-Patman Act was passed to prevent it. That's now 15 USC 13.
Now Wal*Mart has perfected the practice and found a new wau around 15 USC 13--poverty wages for employees and cut-throat [rocong from vendors driving them pout of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: