Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times

Advertisements

People from Wisconsin are yellow and have holes in them. People from western Michigan are round like apples and people from SE Michigan are kind of smokey and smell oily. In the UP the people all look like Yetis.

Those from Ohio are nuts and most of them breathe through their mouths and have a vacant bored look on their face.

Hoosiers look like popcorn.

Canadians are all tall and wear hockey masks and say Eeh and aboot and oot all the time. Their mouths divide their entire heads in half.

Any other states you want to compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People from Wisconsin are yellow and have holes in them. People from western Michigan are round like apples and people from SE Michigan are kind of smokey and smell oily. In the UP the people all look like Yetis.

Those from Ohio are nuts and most of them breathe through their mouths and have a vacant bored look on their face.

Canadians are all tall and wear hockey masks and say Eeh and aboot and oot all the time. Their mouths divide their entire heads in half.

You forgot what we call ALL the people under the bridge, they are trolls plain and simple ! Things are so bad up here you folks do not want to come here, we are nothing but frozen tundra, trees and more trees and buried in snow most of the year. The last melt is somewhere in july. Fall starts in August...winter soon after and lasts till June. The bugs are so large some of them need to file a flight pan...horrible place the UP , stay home !

Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM

109 posts, read 205,427 times
I was in Cincinnati over the weekend plus last week. The temps seemed to stay in the mid eighties except some of the mornings, which were surprisingly cool. There are some differences through out the state but none that really is of concern. Detroit people by nature seem to be a bit more aggressive to me while some up north almost have some weird misconceptions about city living. LOL West Michigan kinda rest in the middle and the UP is a land of their own. Flat lands are found through the first 2/3rds of Ohio and Indiana, and the only true hills in lower MI are way on the north end, mainly northwest. I have never actually been to cheese and beer land. Chicagoland is a bit like do your own thing and leave me alone. LOL I believe the biggest differences are just city versing country, like every where else. The southern charm really is not seen until Kentucky.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percynjpn View Post
I know I'm asking for what's probably a gross generalization, but how do you think folks from Michigan and her neighbors differ (or are like) one another? I may be moving to your lovely state in the near future, and I'm just curious (originally from Western MA).

Thanks.
One difference is the whole big lakes and rivers, streams, the outdoors, the winter make people of Michigan and it's neighbors more like one another than anything else. They have a similar accent.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakkelsey View Post
I was in Cincinnati over the weekend plus last week. The temps seemed to stay in the mid eighties except some of the mornings, which were surprisingly cool. There are some differences through out the state but none that really is of concern. Detroit people by nature seem to be a bit more aggressive to me while some up north almost have some weird misconceptions about city living. LOL West Michigan kinda rest in the middle and the UP is a land of their own. Flat lands are found through the first 2/3rds of Ohio and Indiana, and the only true hills in lower MI are way on the north end, mainly northwest. I have never actually been to cheese and beer land. Chicagoland is a bit like do your own thing and leave me alone. LOL I believe the biggest differences are just city versing country, like every where else. The southern charm really is not seen until Kentucky.
"Southern charm" ?....forget about it. does not exist period anywhere ! Even in those special places that seem so perfect, behind the scenes there is racial hatred , all hate, they hate Yankees, anyone who in their eyes wants to take away their Guns , snow , unions , birth control , and anyone that wants to make them clean up the front lawn, cars on blocks, refrigerators , washers , junk. Ya the true south is not what it may look like on the surface. They will smile all the while stabbing you in the back....

That said , Michigan ( southern part ) is full of folk from the south that came to work in the car factories, most hate that too, but its been a salvation over many decades when the opportunity was slim at home. Many brought their culture with them.junky front yards and the like. Sometimes I have thought there were more hillbillies in Michigan than in the true South where they came from....They also brought the fundamentalist religions , the right wing ideals too, Rand Paul and the Rebel flag. Ya other than some great vittles ( southern chefs are hard to beat ) the old south has a dark side,like the devout southern preacher a bible in one hand and a gin bottle the other.

Yes there are some good things about the South , the wind through the live oak trees late in the day , Kentucky bourbon, Tennessee music , and Atlanta sweet peaches ( girls )... Then there is the food , a breakfast like no other, true barbeque, brisket , ribs , eatable corn bread, country ham & red eye gravy.
Not everyone is a hillbilly ether, way too many stereotypes from people watching reruns of The Dukes of Hazard.. The South brought us Tennessee Williams , Hank Williams , Bert Reynolds and a whole lot of talent from Elvis to George Jones.

My off topic here is meant to wake up a lot of people that may think Michigan people are just Michigan born and razed. Tis not so , a whole lot of the South has settled in Michigan, a lot of Chicago folks in SW Michigan , if for some only on the weekends There is the Dutch in Holland. ( wealthiest county in the State ) Michigan is a melting pot for the world, the good and the bad. What holds it all together is the Great Lakes. Nature at its best no other State can match.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
"Southern charm" ?....forget about it. does not exist period anywhere ! Even in those special places that seem so perfect, behind the scenes there is racial hatred , all hate, they hate Yankees, anyone who in their eyes wants to take away their Guns , snow , unions , birth control , and anyone that wants to make them clean up the front lawn, cars on blocks, refrigerators , washers , junk. Ya the true south is not what it may look like on the surface. They will smile all the while stabbing you in the back....

That said , Michigan ( southern part ) is full of folk from the south that came to work in the car factories, most hate that too, but its been a salvation over many decades when the opportunity was slim at home. Many brought their culture with them.junky front yards and the like. Sometimes I have thought there were more hillbillies in Michigan than in the true South where they came from....They also brought the fundamentalist religions , the right wing ideals too, Rand Paul and the Rebel flag. Ya other than some great vittles ( southern chefs are hard to beat ) the old south has a dark side,like the devout southern preacher a bible in one hand and a gin bottle the other.

Yes there are some good things about the South , the wind through the live oak trees late in the day , Kentucky bourbon, Tennessee music , and Atlanta sweet peaches ( girls )... Then there is the food , a breakfast like no other, true barbeque, brisket , ribs , eatable corn bread, country ham & red eye gravy.
Not everyone is a hillbilly ether, way too many stereotypes from people watching reruns of The Dukes of Hazard.. The South brought us Tennessee Williams , Hank Williams , Bert Reynolds and a whole lot of talent from Elvis to George Jones.

My off topic here is meant to wake up a lot of people that may think Michigan people are just Michigan born and razed. Tis not so , a whole lot of the South has settled in Michigan, a lot of Chicago folks in SW Michigan , if for some only on the weekends There is the Dutch in Holland. ( wealthiest county in the State ) Michigan is a melting pot for the world, the good and the bad. What holds it all together is the Great Lakes. Nature at its best no other State can match.
We just vacationed on Lake Michigan near South Haven and loved it. It was our fourth time in the area and we plan on coming back. BUT I will say when you drive off the beaten path a little right off the Blue Star highway, and in some cases right on it, you see incidences of the same type of poverty that you see in rural Missouri (my home state) and other states further south I've traveled. Get away from Lake Michigan, and if you just snapped some pictures of the homes in various states of disrepair during summer you'd have no idea what state you were in.

I chatted up some folks removing fallen trees and limbs from the area near the shore we vacationed in. Nice folks, but they are exactly the type of folks you run into in rural Missouri - just slightly different accents.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:15 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Funniest thing I've read.
EVER!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
We just vacationed on Lake Michigan near South Haven and loved it. It was our fourth time in the area and we plan on coming back. BUT I will say when you drive off the beaten path a little right off the Blue Star highway, and in some cases right on it, you see incidences of the same type of poverty that you see in rural Missouri (my home state) and other states further south I've traveled. Get away from Lake Michigan, and if you just snapped some pictures of the homes in various states of disrepair during summer you'd have no idea what state you were in.

I chatted up some folks removing fallen trees and limbs from the area near the shore we vacationed in. Nice folks, but they are exactly the type of folks you run into in rural Missouri - just slightly different accents.
I lived just outside of South Haven for 5 years. The whole area is blue collar , and yes there are some real trashy places that are so close to the Lake. Strange , as those lots on the water start at 1 million ! Many if not most are people from Chicago south side including the metro area of Indiana. The accents you hear Are from Chicago , Not Michigan.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

I agree. Take a drive down the road between M43 and the Van Buren state campground. I see run down mobile homes, junk in front yards, cars on blocks (or just cars falling apart).

Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,206,727 times
IMO the biggest difference is driving. People from Ohio drive so slow... probably because down in Ohio the speed limits are typically 65, 60, or even 55 on the freeways, whereas in Michigan EVERY highway is 70 mph (and some are 75 in the UP I believe).

So if you come up on someone who is slowing down traffic, you can usually guess where they are from before even seeing their license plate (hint: south of the border).

People from Indiana seem to drive reasonably fast at least. In fact, on I-69 it seems like the only time you see an Indiana plate is when it is zooming by you, as they seem to be going faster than everyone else. Maybe they are just too eager to get out of Indiana. lol

I have also noticed that people from Kentucky seem to be confused about the rules of the road... in which you are suppose to pass on the left. Often, on 3 lane highways (aka I-75 that runs through Kentucky) you can drive in the middle lane and just about everyone from Kentucky will pass you on the right (in the "slow lane") rather than go into the "fast lane", even when both lanes are open. It's very odd.

It's become a running joke when driving through Kentucky that anyone who comes up and passes us correctly (on the left) must be from another state, and that if they come up on us and then pass on the right for some reason, must be a local. Looking at the plates as they go by, it generally turns out to be true. lol

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 08-08-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan