Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
IMO the biggest difference is driving. People from Ohio drive so slow... probably because down in Ohio the speed limits are typically 65, 60, or even 55 on the freeways, whereas in Michigan EVERY highway is 70 mph (and some are 75 in the UP I believe).

So if you come up on someone who is slowing down traffic, you can usually guess where they are from before even seeing their license plate (hint: south of the border).

People from Indiana seem to drive reasonably fast at least. In fact, on I-69 it seems like the only time you see an Indiana plate is when it is zooming by you, as they seem to be going faster than everyone else. Maybe they are just too eager to get out of Indiana. lol

I have also noticed that people from Kentucky seem to be confused about the rules of the road... in which you are suppose to pass on the left. Often, on 3 lane highways (aka I-75 that runs through Kentucky) you can drive in the middle lane and just about everyone from Kentucky will pass you on the right (in the "slow lane") rather than go into the "fast lane", even when both lanes are open. It's very odd.

It's become a running joke when driving through Kentucky that anyone who comes up and passes us correctly (on the left) must be from another state, and that if they come up on us and then pass on the right for some reason, must be a local. Looking at the plates as they go by, it generally turns out to be true. lol
Then there the cheese heads. Wi. Drivers come to Chicago much to the dismay of the locals.They drive slow in the hammer lane , and fast on the off ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM

76 posts, read 122,103 times
Have not read entire post, but 75 in the U.P. is wishful thinking. The only highway at 70 is from the Straights to the Sault. Everything else is 55, unless otherwise posted.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
Have not read entire post, but 75 in the U.P. is wishful thinking. The only highway at 70 is from the Straights to the Sault. Everything else is 55, unless otherwise posted.
We DO need higher speed limits, so many flat highways and with so few vehicles.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
[quote=darstar;30812298]"Southern charm" ?....forget about it. does not exist period anywhere ! Even in those special places that seem so perfect, behind the scenes there is racial hatred , all hate, they hate Yankees, anyone who in their eyes wants to take away their Guns , snow , unions , birth control , and anyone that wants to make them clean up the front lawn, cars on blocks, refrigerators , washers , junk. Ya the true south is not what it may look like on the surface. They will smile all the while stabbing you in the back....

That said , Michigan ( southern part ) is full of folk from the south that came to work in the car factories, most hate that too, but its been a salvation over many decades when the opportunity was slim at home. Many brought their culture with them.junky front yards and the like. Sometimes I have thought there were more hillbillies in Michigan than in the true South where they came from....They also brought the fundamentalist religions , the right wing ideals too, Rand Paul and the Rebel flag. Ya other than some great vittles ( southern chefs are hard to beat ) the old south has a dark side,like the devout southern preacher a bible in one hand and a gin bottle the other.

quote]

I don't know, but I've met some major rednecks from Michigan with no roots to the south what so ever. They acted more redneck than people from Kentucky and Tennessee.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM

[quote=tallydude02;30911625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
"Southern charm" ?....forget about it. does not exist period anywhere ! Even in those special places that seem so perfect, behind the scenes there is racial hatred , all hate, they hate Yankees, anyone who in their eyes wants to take away their Guns , snow , unions , birth control , and anyone that wants to make them clean up the front lawn, cars on blocks, refrigerators , washers , junk. Ya the true south is not what it may look like on the surface. They will smile all the while stabbing you in the back....

That said , Michigan ( southern part ) is full of folk from the south that came to work in the car factories, most hate that too, but its been a salvation over many decades when the opportunity was slim at home. Many brought their culture with them.junky front yards and the like. Sometimes I have thought there were more hillbillies in Michigan than in the true South where they came from....They also brought the fundamentalist religions , the right wing ideals too, Rand Paul and the Rebel flag. Ya other than some great vittles ( southern chefs are hard to beat ) the old south has a dark side,like the devout southern preacher a bible in one hand and a gin bottle the other.

quote]

I don't know, but I've met some major rednecks from Michigan with no roots to the south what so ever. They acted more redneck than people from Kentucky and Tennessee.
Yes I have too. Mostly rural areas as I see it, could be Some of that southern charm rubs off!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post

I have also noticed that people from Kentucky seem to be confused about the rules of the road... in which you are suppose to pass on the left. Often, on 3 lane highways (aka I-75 that runs through Kentucky) you can drive in the middle lane and just about everyone from Kentucky will pass you on the right (in the "slow lane") rather than go into the "fast lane", even when both lanes are open. It's very odd.

No, that describes drivers from Ohio. Buckeye drivers still do not know what "slower traffic keep right" means.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post

US 2 is now 65mph, correct?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
US 2 is now 65mph, correct?
No , not that I am aware of anyway. There is no place in da UP except the I-75 stretch, with a speed limit above 55. Short of that , maybe an airport runway or two , where 65 is way too slow !!

The driving in the hammer lane thing is quite annoying to many drivers, in all our Midwest states. The problem is , Michigan tops the pile with what we call " Michigan turns" where you must get into the fast lane in order to slow down to get across the median and go the other way. I hate these turns, I know it saves a lot of money not building cloverleafs but also can cause accidents let alone the frustrations of millions who travel our roads on a daily basis.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
Default There is Illinois, and then there is Chicago.

My wife and I attended Southern Illinois University in Carbondale and, while many of our friends there were from the Chicago area, the locals are mostly farmers, ex-coal miners and hillbillies in general.

Other than SIU, a major employer is the federal prison in nearby Marion.

Proximity to Kentucky is definitely a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan