Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

As as soon to be newly unemployed Michigander (geez, I left NC for this) I have a question about the program.

Is the No Worker Left Behind program still available? I am probably looking at going into a certificate or career training program at a community college or university.
I have been unable to find current info on the web or at the state site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM

21,134 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Sorry to hear that. It's been 11 years since I was last unemployed. I don't know about the "No Worker Left Behind" program, but the unemployment offices will be able to handle your questions about retraining. They call it Michigan Works.

Home - Michigan Works! Association

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Don't be negative - focus on staying positive. I lost my job in 2011 when my company went bankrupt but was able to land on my feet within a month. I think the difference is don't focus on being a victim - focus your efforts on landing that next opportunity within 3 months. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Don't be negative - focus on staying positive. I lost my job in 2011 when my company went bankrupt but was able to land on my feet within a month. I think the difference is don't focus on being a victim - focus your efforts on landing that next opportunity within 3 months. Good luck!

Not that I am, but it took nearly 100 interviews to get this one job--even though it sux. I am looking forward to finding out about the NWLB program as they were paying $10,000 for 2 years of school at community college or a 4 year university.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:40 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Not that I am, but it took nearly 100 interviews to get this one job--even though it sux. I am looking forward to finding out about the NWLB program as they were paying $10,000 for 2 years of school at community college or a 4 year university.

nwlb was started in 2007, and bolstered with federal arra funds in 2009. there was a very small window of time to apply, and that time has passed. you can still use michigan works for help getting a job, but the funds for nwlb are gone.

the city of Phoenix ran a similar program here using arra funds & it was an amazing deal - but very hard to get into - 500+ applicants for 25 slots in the lpn program at the local community college.

from what I recall at the time, michigan works was handing out $10k scholarships like candy for about a month, but in order to get one, you had to basically already be enrolled in a program(and most nursing programs have long wait lists, which didnt count as being "enrolled").., so most who got them weren't actually displaced workers, but full-time students who were in the right place at the right time.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 AM

OUCH!! guess I will look into programs that may still have money to give. At one time males could walk into nursing programs as under-represented?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
OUCH!! guess I will look into programs that may still have money to give. At one time males could walk into nursing programs as under-represented?
at least around my area they're glad to have ya, but you still have to get in line..

Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Sorry to hear.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
OP, for some reason it seems to me, probably from a previous post, that you are (were?) a teacher. If so, what about substitute teaching?

If I'm wrong, I apologize, and I don't mean to pry. It's just that I have been trying to help my son, who recently graduated from U of M Dearborn with a BA in Communications, to find work and I saw some substitute teaching jobs posted in various parts of Michigan, along with some full-time, permanent teaching positions.

Someone mentioned nursing. I have been an RN for 23 years, and from what I see at work and with various acquaintances that are in nursing school or have recently graduated, is that there is still a waiting list to get into most nursing programs and new grads are not finding work like they used to. When I graduated, we could pick which hospital we wanted to work at, often with a sign-on bonus. These days, even long term care jobs aren't that plentiful, and pretty much all hospital positions want a BSN combined with at least a year or two of experience. It's rough.

Best of luck to you, I know it's tough out there.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
OP, for some reason it seems to me, probably from a previous post, that you are (were?) a teacher. If so, what about substitute teaching?

If I'm wrong, I apologize, and I don't mean to pry. It's just that I have been trying to help my son, who recently graduated from U of M Dearborn with a BA in Communications, to find work and I saw some substitute teaching jobs posted in various parts of Michigan, along with some full-time, permanent teaching positions.

Someone mentioned nursing. I have been an RN for 23 years, and from what I see at work and with various acquaintances that are in nursing school or have recently graduated, is that there is still a waiting list to get into most nursing programs and new grads are not finding work like they used to. When I graduated, we could pick which hospital we wanted to work at, often with a sign-on bonus. These days, even long term care jobs aren't that plentiful, and pretty much all hospital positions want a BSN combined with at least a year or two of experience. It's rough.

Best of luck to you, I know it's tough out there.
In recent years, substitute services have gone 3rd party. One agency handles like 100-200 districts. It barely pays $75 a day and no benefits--at 52 years of age BC & BS is more than a convenience.
Then there is the matter of money during extended holiday breaks and between JUne and September. Subbing will be a stop gap temporary job.

And not to seem crass, but subbing at $75 a day for a week pays what MARVIN pays for the same week. Plus I do not have to spend $3.89 a gallon for gas to travel upwards of 20 miles one way.

A possible option may be to sub for the school year IF it still allows me to collect UIA when the subbing stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan