Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 AM

84 posts, read 89,794 times

Advertisements

Another thing that I like about Empire or Traverse is that the street-names are reassuringly-solid
But in a town such as Gaylord one might find it hard to avoid settling for the Faux-Deutsch-Straße
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
Thanks for your comments. The north of the main part of Michigan seems like a new world for us. And it is within driving distance of Detroit or the major cities. Next, we must look at the property tax: and we're keeping our fingers crossed. Meanwhile, why is it that, say, Gaylord or Troy just won't make the grade for some folks?
Gaylord is real nice...but just something about it turns me off a bit. It may be that it is so close to I75. They are also one of the first to see snow, and the last to see Spring. Empire is a tiny town...not much there at all, but it is a neat little town in a fantastic area.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Another thing that I like about Empire or Traverse is that the street-names are reassuringly-solid
But in a town such as Gaylord one might find it hard to avoid settling for the Faux-Deutsch-Straße
Gaylord's very pretty and very resort-y with its close proximity to the ski and golf resorts -- but you just can't beat the primo Lake Michigan towns like Traverse or Holland. Those areas are really the "crown jewels" of Michigan in terms of beauty. People come in from all over the Midwest to vacation along the Lake Michigan shore.

Troy is an entirely different ball of wax. A big, densely populated suburb with a lot of office buildings. Families move there primarily for the schools and proximity to freeways. Very nice, but not what comes to mind when I think "retirement."

Take a look at Petoskey as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM

192 posts, read 494,162 times
I would throw Grand Haven and Ludington into the mix. Both great walkable towns to shopping and the beach, but you do have to deal with the influx of tourists.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripper View Post
I would throw Grand Haven and Ludington into the mix. Both great walkable towns to shopping and the beach, but you do have to deal with the influx of tourists.
Ditto for South Haven. Practically anywhere on the Lake Michigan shore is going to be fabulous.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Well, here's our progress report. Much as we like Maine or Wyoming, we believe Michigan may have more to offer. And that's on the little research we've had time for. And though Empire or Traverse would probably be our first choice (for anywhere south of Holland might be too muggy), we think that the local property tax might be prohibitively high. Additionally, some parts are prone to electric power outages, which would put us to the expense of installing our own generator, if to live there. And so we'll keep Gaylord or Troy in-mind for its affordability, &c

Last edited by BoCosmo; 08-07-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Well, here's our progress report. Much as we like Maine or Wyoming, we believe Michigan may have more to offer. And that's on the little research we've carried out so far. And though Empire or Traverse would probably be our first choice (for anywhere south of Holland might be too muggy), we think that the local property tax might be just too high. Additionally, some parts are prone to electric power outages, which would put us to the expense of installing our own generator, if to live there. And so we'll keep Gaylord or Troy in-mind for its affordability, &c
If taxes are a concern, I would recommend looking at townships as they provide less services and therefore typically have a lower rate than cities.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM

89 posts, read 194,320 times
If you would like close proximity to Detroit, but a beautiful area, I would also look into Clarkston, MI. Could also check out Independence Township and Brandon Township. Peaceful, close to lakes, woods & amenities.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Thank you for Clarkston, which is elevated enough to keep us cool – as is Cadillac, which I found today. It's encouraging that gasoline prices are competitive in each; and, I suppose, the closer we'd be to a city, the better the chances of finding employment, if needs be. And I must admit, I had visions of sending my dear wife out to work, while I tend slowly to our garden and animal companions. The drawback to acclaimed seaside towns is that there isn't much work in them. In any event, it's a pleasure for us to survey the state of Michigan

Last edited by BoCosmo; 08-08-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan