Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM

84 posts, read 89,615 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I, each well into our sixties, wish to find a house in which to spend our retirement. We have a cat and two dogs; and we've invited my wife's elderly female companion to come and stay with us. Our ambition is to settle somewhere elevated, cool, spacious, etc, but within reach of, say, a curry house, fish and chip shop, branches of some major supermarkets, affordable gasoline, etc. And though we're considering moving to Maine or Wyoming, we now like the look of Michigan. For instance, my wife (a Missourian, raised in California) and I (an expatriate Englishman) are attracted to Holland in her case, and Grosse Point Shores, Oxford, Troy, Gaylord, Empire, Traverse City in mine: and we'd welcome some advice. We plan to move by the end of this year; and, into something like a 3-bed, 3-bath, 2-car home

Last edited by BoCosmo; 08-06-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,259,449 times
What is the budget you are consdering for your purchase? That will helps us find you some good deals. I'd vote for Holland, Grosse Pointe Shores, Traverse City and Empire from your list and drop the others. Add Petoskey to the list.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tip. We hope to have available up to $ 300 000 in cash, and maybe some for an awd-vehicle to get us through the snow, etc

Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,502,588 times
I would agree with the PP but I suggest you look at Grosse Ile as well if you are considering S.E. Michigan (lots of retirees and more pleasant than Grosse Pointe IMO). However nothing in SE Michigan compares to TC or Holland really. Unless you want the amenities that go with denser population (pro sports, theater, museums, and more restaurants, people, etc), there is no beating the west side of the state and TC is pretty much the crown jewel.

$300,000 will get you a nice house most places. Probably not water front, but possibly water view or with indirect water access if you want it. If I were retired, I woudl consider a condo instead to eliminate yard care and snow removal.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Thank you too. Living in an apartment may be easier than in a house. But I do think that gardening, is good exercise and good for the soul. And when I view images of Empire I'm impressed with the clarity of the air, colour of the sea, etc. The absence of haze on the horizon is delightful

Old 08-06-2013, 04:51 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,576,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
Thank you too. Living in an apartment may be easier than in a house. But I do think that gardening, is good exercise and good for the soul. And when I view images of Empire I'm impressed with the clarity of the air, colour of the sea, etc. The absence of haze on the horizon is delightful
The color of the water on Lake Michigan is especially breathtaking up in that area (Empire, Traverse City, etc). I don't know why, but it is a much more beautiful blue than in the southern part of Michigan. There is no trick photography in the photos you've seen. It really looks like that.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,874,566 times
$300, 000 will get you a spot on most any lake in Michigan. Up this way, (Traverse City way) I have seen a ton of amazing houses on lakes for waaay less then that. Our waters are amazing, and our air is just as good!

Last edited by michmoldman; 08-06-2013 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks for your comments. The north of the main part of Michigan seems like a new world for us. And it is within driving distance of Detroit or the major cities. Next, we must look at the property tax: and we're keeping our fingers crossed. Meanwhile, why is it that, say, Gaylord or Troy just won't make the grade for some folks?

Last edited by BoCosmo; 08-06-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,621,516 times
Anywhere around the Traverse City area should be wonderful for you. Lake Michigan is beautiful throughout northern Michigan. Not only do we have the big lake, but there are many, many smaller lakes to enjoy as well. We've got vineyards, good shopping, great food, entertainment, social functions. As long as snow and cold during the winter aren't an issue then there is much to offer up here. Autumn is beautiful with the changing colors. One thing about this far north in the LP is it's not that far to go up over our "Mighty Mac" into the UP. Now up there you've got the spectacle of Lake Superior. Michigan is blessed to have these Great Lakes. Good luck in making your final decision.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,070,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCosmo View Post
Thanks for your comments. The north of the main part of Michigan seems like a new world for us. And it is within driving distance of Detroit or the major cities. Next, we must look at the property tax: and we're keeping our fingers crossed. Meanwhile, why is it that, say, Gaylord or Troy just won't make the grade for some folks?
We spent a winter in Gaylord, Waters, actually- which is right outside of town- we were in a cabin on Otsego Lake. The winter was heavy snow that year, over 200 inches- but I will say this- it is positively beautiful there, even in the winter, and I loved every minute of it. Well...except for the one night we were driving and had a whiteout, lol.

There is a Meijers and Walmart there, not sure about the types of restaurants you are interested in, though. I have to say, it is beautiful there-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan