Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 PM

250 posts, read 932,791 times

Advertisements

Driving in the snow and ice isn't that bad. Just remember to turn INTO your spin on the ice and never slam on your breaks when you slide on the ice. Stop well ahead and go slowly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 PM

864 posts, read 1,719,920 times
Well, like I said -- it depends on where you live. In the Boyne area, where I grew up -- most ppl had their driveways done via front end plows The banks got roof high and I remember one year even having to have a front end loader come in to get rid of snow because there was no place else to put it. Snow blowers just didn't cut it. Not all winters in MI are mild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Are you kidding? I don't mind snowblowing the driveway at all. You do have to get a two-stage if you live in a heavy snowbelt area, preferably with self-propel. And if the snow is not deep and heavy enough for that, then just shovel.

I'm amazed at what people complain about on this forum. No wonder we have an obesity problem in this country.

Exactly Bydand, you spin the chute to blow "with" the wind, not against it.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Default Moving to MI

Two years ago, we returned to Michigan after living in Southern CA for eighteen years. A lot of things were not what we expected.

Winter is fun. If you think otherwise, get out of here because half the year is winter. Our kids play outside far more often than they did in California and we do not have to worry about them getting shot, kidnapped, run over, etc. Every new development in the weather is exciting to them. If it rains heavily, they run out to play in the rain, if it snows, they run out to play in the snow, when the snow melts, play in the mud, on nice days they run out to play in the sun. The weather seems to change several times a day so if you do not like it, just wait a bit.

There are tons of things to do when there is snow.
The solution is to get the right clothing and bundle up so that you are not cold. There is no reason to ever be cold.
Get some of those cool glove warmers that skiiers use. Always wear gloves, hat, coat and when necessary long underwear and a scarf. Thick soks and when practica, boots are critical. A hat will mess up your hair - get over it and wear a hat. Be wary of overdressing when you will be inside most of the day. Dress in layers. It is warmer and you can take things off to adjust your temperature. Install a remote starter in your car so you can warm up the engine before you go outside. They cost about $80 to buy and maybe $100 to instal (free if you know someone handy with tools). The key to liking winter is to never be cold. If you are cold, then you did not dress properly.

Try sledding and tobaganning. Those are cheap and fun. Cross country skiing is fun and not too expensive. Downhill is a blast, but costly and you need to find a hill. Hiking in the winter is marvelous, especially during a heavy snowfall (be careful not to get lost). Snowmobiling is a thrill, but expensive unless you find someone to loan you a snowmobile. Ice skating costs next to nothing. Ice boating is fun, but dangerous. I do not understand ice fishing (kind of like fishing in a toilet to me), but some people really like it. Staying warm is half the fun. Sit by a fire. Learn to play Euchre. Snuggle. Winter is great, we look forward to it, but it is also long, we look forward to it ending when it finally does. California weather was boring. It is almost always pleasant, but it was the same every day. That wears on you as much as Michigan's sometime seemingly endless winter does.

Keep equipment in your car for getting stuck. A shovel, salt or sand, a phone, some hand and boot warmers, a hat and gloves, flares, etc. I have a truck so I carry a chain to pull people out of the ditch if needed. Ask neighbors for advice on what to carry. Follow that advice.

It is pretty rare that you actually drive with snow on the road. Maybe ten or twelve times a year for most people. If you carpool, you may be able to reduce that considerably. It is not hard, just slow down, leave a lot of distance to the next car and stay off the brake. Learn how to correct a skid without overreacting. If you get the chance when it first snows, go out in a parking lot and practice by making you car skid and then correcting it. this can be fun.

Ice is a bigger problem than snow. If you have black ice - just stay home, it is not worth trying to go anywhere until the salt trucks get out. We had black ice one day in two years so it is not that common.

Fall is incredibly gorgeous. Everything about fall is awesome. (Do not try to pick up the leaves, mulch them, but fist make a leaf pile and jump into it and thrash around). The worst time is November where is is almost always gray and rainy (very cold rain), and March where you are sick of winter and it just will not seem to warm up (although the snow is usually all gone). March - April can be very very muddy. We get more sick of the mud, than the cold or snow.

Keep yourself busy during the icky times. If you do not stay really busy, the lack of sunshine wil make you realy depressed. Always get outside on sunny days, even if it is cold.

People are not as friendly as reputed. they are generally nice and really helpful if you can get them to talk to you to begin with. People are far more closed than out west, but when you make friends, it is a real friendship, not the temporary superficial relationships that are prevelant in CA. People here love to help other people, but you have to ask for help. Get advice on living here. Once they stop thinking you are insane for moving away from warmer weather, they will bend over backwards to help you adjust. Be ready to spend a ton of money on new clothing. You need three complete wardrobes (warm weather, cold weather and in between weather). Buy lots of wool socks, hats, and gloves (you will misplace them often). Do not be afraid to visit salvation army stores or garage sales, especially for kids clothing, they outgrow it in a season anyway. It is hard to look trendy in a two inch thick coat, just get something warm and not too expensive.

Living here is all about attitude. If you decide to like it here, you will. If you decide to hate it, you will. there is less to do here as far as resturaunts, movies, etc, but there are more outdoor opportunities. Slow down and enjoy it. Go for a drive, just to look around. It is not crowded, the air is fresh, most water is clean and abundant, trees abound everywhere (real trees, not palms that look like telephone poles), deer walk through your yard regularly (except in Cities), quiet places to meditate and commune with God are plentiful. My experience is that Southeren California was more fun to live in, Michigan is more pleasant.

The West side of Michigan is perhaps one of the most beautiful places in the country.
explore, explore, explore.

good luck and enjoy it here.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 PM

84 posts, read 364,010 times
Palm trees are not trees, they're weeds.

I hate 'em.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Winter is fun. If you think otherwise, get out of here because half the year is winter.
This is important advice.

I have to say (having grown up in the great lakes snowbelt) that I have had all the fun I am capable of having during winter. I no longer find it amusing.

I have shoveled more snow than most people, and chopped more ice off my car than most people, and if I never have to do that again it will please me.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81;
Just think...no fire ants tarantulas, scorpions or poisonous snakes!
Michigan has the eastern massasauga rattlesnake, which is indeed venomous. They normally live near water and swamps, so be careful when treading in those areas.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM

13 posts, read 60,537 times
Default Don't brake!

Someone already mentioned it, but I feel it's worth emphasizing... DON'T BRAKE when you are sliding or at least when you're on ice. The other advice was to turn into your slides. Both of these methods are COUNTER-INTUITIVE, but critical. I lived in Texas the past 9 years after growing up in Grand Rapids. Since I "knew" how to drive in ice and snow, the first time that I encountered ice and snow in Texas, I got in my car and witnessed TEXANS trying to drive in it. People all around me were braking, as a result they would spin out all over the road, and one even flipped (hitting a spot of dry pavement with breaks on).

Go slow. Lay off the brakes. Make it your mantra. Good luck. This is my first winter back in Grand Rapids after 12 years so I'll be keeping pace with you on the road.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:18 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Two years ago, we returned to Michigan after living in Southern CA for eighteen years. A lot of things were not what we expected.

Winter is fun.

The West side of Michigan is perhaps one of the most beautiful places in the country.
explore, explore, explore.

good luck and enjoy it here.

Great post Coldjensens! You have a way of stating the obvious so eloquently.

BTW. HeadedWest, you don't even live in Michigan. What ARE you talking about? I don't know anyone who shovels off their roof anymore, unless they live in some backwoods area.

Last edited by magellan; 11-20-2007 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-22-2007, 12:48 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
BTW. HeadedWest, you don't even live in Michigan. What ARE you talking about? I don't know anyone who shovels off their roof anymore, unless they live in some backwoods area.
I used to live in San Antonio, and I wanted the person moving from SA to the Great Lakes region to understand what they are in for.

I grew up in the snow belt off Lake Erie, and our house had an addition with a flat roof (bad design). We did indeed shovel that roof when the snow got deep enough.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Michigan has the eastern massasauga rattlesnake, which is indeed venomous. They normally live near water and swamps, so be careful when treading in those areas.

Really? I had no idea. I've never come across one, but I do stand corrected. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan