Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:27 PM

14 posts, read 184,289 times

Advertisements

Next summer 2008 I will be touring West Michigan areas of Zeeland, Holland, Kalamazoo, Portage, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids and Muskegon for vacation fun and to check out where I might want to relocate to in the near future. What's the weather like? Where are the best places to kayak at? What is the employment situation like in these areas? Will there be new industries opening in these areas in the near future? What is the music culture like in these areas? I have collected a variety of brochures and magazines with information about these areas. I just wanted to hear what any of you who live in these areas can tell me about your community in these areas of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 03:00 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
I am out of your range, so no help from me. Good luck

Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
There's a big difference between all of those communities you listed. You should really visit them all and see what you think, because they are as diverse as you can get.

For instance, Grand Rapids and Battle Creek are apples and oranges different.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 21,552 times
Unhappy Lived There for 55 Years...

I was conceived in the back seat of a Willy's in Corpus back in 49 but unfortunately, took my first breath in West Michigan.
I finally made it back to where I belong.

You have to do your homework. The place has changed so much in the last eight years not even I can recognize it. The unemployment rate is the worst in the Nation,
the taxes will kill ya. The current Governor has turned it into something that resembles a Communist Bloch country. If you are a business owner or self-employed forget it! New tax... .08% of your total gross sales!
Figure that!
There are some great company's in West Michigan located specifically in the locations that you mentioned but, most are dependant on the auto industry which ain't exactly thriving these days and probably never will again.
The Furniture Biz is doing just so so, most all of that is tied to new office space nowadays. What happens in 08 may kill it totally. Stryker in Kzoo, great company, will always do well but it is a tough nut to crack.

On the other hand, West Michigan is a beautiful place to live, lakes, rivers, hills and good people as well.
Get East of I-69 you'll think that you have been transported to the Soviet Union or ended up in the Congo or perhaps even, the Middle East.
I don't much care for bullet proof glass at a C-Store or Burkas.
It is a totally different world over there.

I'd take a visit but keep your head clear and your mind open.

The Drip in Drippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTM View Post
Next summer 2008 I will be touring West Michigan areas of Zeeland, Holland, Kalamazoo, Portage, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids and Muskegon for vacation fun and to check out where I might want to relocate to in the near future. What's the weather like? Where are the best places to kayak at? What is the employment situation like in these areas? Will there be new industries opening in these areas in the near future? What is the music culture like in these areas? I have collected a variety of brochures and magazines with information about these areas. I just wanted to hear what any of you who live in these areas can tell me about your community in these areas of interest.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM

14 posts, read 54,959 times
Well I would think before relocating to michigan. Hopefully by next summer things will perk up.. Economy is bad right now.. and it is sad for the Western side of Michigan is very beautiful. Grand Rapids is the biggest city on that side of the state. I would move there before any of the others Battle Creek, kazoo areas. The schools are great all around that area. So if you have or plan on kids in the future all the areas surrounding GR are awesome. If vacationing South Haven is Beautiful, Muskegon, and north of there. Holland and Grand Haven are beautiful too... As for Music.... GR in the summer has a Blues on the Mall open free concert every wednesday in the summer.. It is awesome and brings alot of different people to downtown. Kayaking I think you can do anywhere. There a lots of little lake everywhere. North of Muskegon ( Ludington, and Pentwater up toward Traverse it incredible.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:46 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drip View Post
I was conceived in the back seat of a Willy's in Corpus back in 49 but unfortunately, took my first breath in West Michigan.
I finally made it back to where I belong.

You have to do your homework. The place has changed so much in the last eight years not even I can recognize it. The unemployment rate is the worst in the Nation,
the taxes will kill ya. The current Governor has turned it into something that resembles a Communist Bloch country. If you are a business owner or self-employed forget it! New tax... .08% of your total gross sales!
Figure that!
There are some great company's in West Michigan located specifically in the locations that you mentioned but, most are dependant on the auto industry which ain't exactly thriving these days and probably never will again.
The Furniture Biz is doing just so so, most all of that is tied to new office space nowadays. What happens in 08 may kill it totally. Stryker in Kzoo, great company, will always do well but it is a tough nut to crack.

On the other hand, West Michigan is a beautiful place to live, lakes, rivers, hills and good people as well.
Get East of I-69 you'll think that you have been transported to the Soviet Union or ended up in the Congo or perhaps even, the Middle East.
I don't much care for bullet proof glass at a C-Store or Burkas.
It is a totally different world over there.

I'd take a visit but keep your head clear and your mind open.

The Drip in Drippin'

Sorry Drip, but you know not of what you speak. There are a lot of companies in West Michigan, very few of which are dependent on the automotive industry. I know, I spent five years in automotive parts manufacturing in West Michigan. The office furniture makers are all experiencing record sales and profits, going on 2 - 3 years. Obviously they will feel the effects of a national economic slump, but who won't.

Of the 10 largest companies in the Grand Rapids area, only 1 is automotive related.

But you're right about not recognizing things from eight years ago. Grand Rapids, especially downtown and the surrounding areas, look totally different (better).

Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
How true about the office furniture. I have a few friends who work at Hayworth, and right now they can have as much overtime as they want to work. They have been that way almost all Summer and it isn't slowing down yet this Fall/Winter. Have to agree about downtown GR as well. A few years ago I used to hate going into GR because it was so dumpy, but now it has really shaped up, and continues to make strides in cleaning up and refurbishing.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
West Michigan isn't as bad as Drip says it is. The economy is really rough, and you'd have a hard time finding a job, but if you can get a job here it's a great place to live. I agree that Grand Rapids is the shining star of the region (or even the state), and it's been carrying the rest of the state. There's tons of new construction downtown and the health care industry is booming. Kalamazoo is holding it's own, but it's a struggle. Battle Creek...not much there.

Holland, South Haven, St. Joe and Grand Haven are great towns, and each have their own summer festivals which are really sweet. Holland and Zeeland especially are very DUTCH, religious and conservative. None of which I'm disparaging. And fireworks over lake Michigan? Wow....

Also, just because we have the worst economy in the country right now doesn't mean that we can't recover. It's good to be realistic, but don't be more negative than you need to be. Nobody is helped by pessimism. Michigan has TONS of potential, we're just in transition right now, away from a manufacturing based economy, and as soon as we get a new legislature/governor in Lansing. And remember, if you relocate to W. Michigan, you've chosen the region of the state with the most potential for Growth

As for me, I'm looking into leaving the state to get a teaching job next year. I don't want to, but I have to accept that possibility. But as soon as I'm able, I'm moving back to W. Michigan. It's gorgeous, and full of good people. It will get better. Recessions can't go on forever.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 74,424 times
I've lived in West Michigan most of my life and can give you some insight. Zeeland is very conservative and dutch, mostly Caucasian community. Holland is somewhat similar, though larger with a huge Hispanic population (if you know Spanish you could probably get a job). However, there are rising crime rates mostly related to gang violence.

I know the least about Kalamazoo (K-Zoo) besides the fact that it is hot and humid in the summer. My parents lived there and were not impressed. Probably not too many places to kayak around there. Grand Rapids is the largest city and probably your best shot for employment. Watch out for Grand Rapids drivers, they don't stay in their lanes!

Michigan's employment is the worst in the nation right now. If you're not a city person, but can find a job in GR, the suburbs are worth looking into: Grandville, Wyoming, Rockford, and Allendale. Rockford is the most different of the suburbs, very upscale and in my opinion preppy (high school athletes have personal trainers). The coastal communities, dominated by Muskegon, have the mildest summer weather and best places to kayak. Muskegon has many more African Americans than the rest of W. Michigan. However, I'd advise you to steer clear of Muskegon Heights; it's known as the ghetto of W. Michigan.

There are several smaller communities south of Muskegon, and north of Holland, that are worth looking into: from north to south they are: Norton Shores (New Mall in the area), Spring Lake Township (country homes, waterfront homes, neighborhood homes) Village of Spring Lake (upscale), Ferrysburg (not as upscale, waterfront homes, neighborhoods, avoid areas close to the oil terminals), Grand Haven (gorgeous downtown area, world's largest musical fountain, boardwalk, too many tourist in the summer), and Grand Haven Township (farms, few neighborhoods).

Weather is markedly hotter away from the lake in the summer (Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo) and colder in the winter. These areas are also more populous with definitive downtown areas and large buildings. Areas along the lake shore are moderated by Lake Michigan, although receive more snowfall in the winter. Areas along the lake shore are known for being more standoffish than the bigger cities. That doesn't mean you won't find friendly people. There are a ton of houses for sale everywhere!

Try kayaking on the Muskegon River, Spring Lake, or little black lake. Avoid the Grand River (Grand Rapids, Grand Haven), Lake Mackatowa (Holland), and Muskegon Lake, they're not clean.

PM me if you want more specific information.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTM View Post
I grew up just down the road from Kalamazoo, and I went to college there. It's a nice small city, kind of left-leaning in political culture (pretty much what you'd expect from a college town), and the music scene is pretty vibrant. There are lots of bars and restaurants in the downtown area that offer up local music on the weekends. The Olde Peninsula brewpub used to be a great hangout for food, music, and homemade beer.

West Michigan weather in general ... sunny and a little humid in the summer, cloudy and cold in the winters with the constant threat of lake effect snowstorms. Short but mild and very pretty spring and fall seasons.

Holland I've been to a few times, and I can back up what others have said ... it's a pretty conservative, white-bread area. But perfectly pleasant, from all I ever noticed. The Tulip Festival is worth seeing.

Not sure about the economic situation. It wasn't the best when I got downsized out of my job, but hopefully it's improving.

I don't know about kayaking, but if you'd be interested in heading just a little south of the state line, the South Bend, Indiana area has a man-made whitewater rafting area built on the St. Joseph River.

That's the part of the state I know best ... the SW corner, down just north of South Bend. That area is mostly farmland and orchards, with some very lovely (and touristy) small towns out along Lake Michigan, notably New Buffalo. If you like dunes and beaches, that area is for you.

I hope this all helps in some way ... good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan