Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,570 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Michigan my whole life. My wife and I bought a second home between Muskegon and Grand Haven. The best neighborhood about 1/2 mile from a state park on lake Michigan. We are actually looking to sell the home now.

Currently, we live near St. Joseph. Also a great town - not crazy about owning a home in the city because of the idiots that run the town. St. Joseph does not have as much activity as Grand Haven - but both areas are excellent for children / raising a family / etc.

Last edited by Yac; 12-19-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: link removed, advertising not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,225 times
i have only one place to suggest that you move to...and that is to the keweenaw of the upper peninnsula of michigan...truly "GODS COUNTRY"

Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
Grand Rapids seems like your match.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
As far as west Michigan goes, the further north , generally the higher prices for property. Sounds like you would like extreme SW Michigan. St Joe, South Haven area is more affordable, and , has a huge advantage , Chicago is less than 2 hours away ! Why settle for Grand Rapids, which is a big city , but has a hard time deciding if it is one. You would not like Holland. Once you get a taste of Chicago , you will be hooked. And , you do not have to go all the way into downtown ether. Grand Rapids excuse for a real mall is a joke. Crime is high, no beach,good medical however, and,schools are so so , as in any big city. Before you buy, give the Sunshine Coast a look see. The towns are small, quaint , but Chicago is so near , its worth any inconvenience. The home prices are coming down , so, you may find something affordable not too far from the water. Try New Buffalo, St. Joe, South Haven, and rural areas in between.Lots to see and do, Liberal influences because of Chicago , and , lots of great beaches, also a lot of inland lakes at more affordable prices. Kalamazoo, sounds like the best place for you , liberal oasis , but , not near the big lake. I agree with Ludington as a good place to start , but , its a bit far to the north if , you want SW Mi. After , Ludington , you might as well keep driving a while, as it only gets better the further north you go, and , yes , the UP IS where its at for young people , that are active , but , thats not the area you asked about , its a world away...and,wonderful !

Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
What do you mean Grand Rapids is having a hard time deciding if its a city, and I thought Grand Rapids, Michigan had some of the states finest malls. I havent been everywhere there, but from what I heard its really starting to bloom there. I here people in stores talking about the city all the time. I wonder whats going on there.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM

13 posts, read 40,220 times
Sorry Everyone, I meant to take this post down.

Turns out my boyfriend is being posted to Westland. We are VERY disappointed not to be going to Grand Haven or even be close to Lake Michigan.

Please read my post seeking advice on Westland. I'd appreciate some useful info!

Sorry again for wasting your time on this post!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
What do you mean Grand Rapids is having a hard time deciding if its a city, and I thought Grand Rapids, Michigan had some of the states finest malls. I havent been everywhere there, but from what I heard its really starting to bloom there. I here people in stores talking about the city all the time. I wonder whats going on there.
In all fairness , I guess only the people who live in GR should be aloud to comment , good and bad. I go for business, and get out , not a fair judgment, and , besides , we can knock any place, many do on these threads, without knowledge , or without telling the good parts. I will be in GR tomorrow , and , will think about my comments........still looking for that Nordstroms , or Neman Marcus Mall, however.. As Michigans second city , you would think those stores would be around..........thats one reason why I say , big town- little town.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Holland, Grand Haven, South Haven are good bets. Saugatuck's beach is rated best in national polls. All beach towns transform during the summer. Grand Rapids is an urban environment year 'round. If you've only lived in large cities, you may be surprised by how wonderful small-town life can be.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 AM

17 posts, read 59,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyscotland View Post
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend has received orders to Michigan. We will be moving there sometime between Jan-March. In his welcome package they have asked him where he would like to be stationed. We are interested in moving to Grand Rapids or somewhere in the southwest region however we do not know much about the areas besides what we have read online.

Where would you recommend for us?

I'll tell you a little about us and what we are looking for in an area.

We are both 26.
Would like to live in a place that has a decent amount of younger people and is fairly military friendly.
We enjoy the outdoors (snowboarding, beaches, hiking, camping, parks).
We like going to bars once in a while.
We would like to live very close (maybe even within walking/cycling distance) to a beach. Living in a beach town would be wonderful!
A pretty safe and clean area.
We will be buying a home and would like to spend no more than $180,000.
We do not want to live in the middle of nowhere, living in a built up area would be good, near stores, a movie theater, a gym, parks, restaurants etc...
A decent public transportation system would be a bonus but, not a must.

I would appreciate any USEFUL input.

Thank you in advance!

Joey
Gun Lake is only 20 minutes from Grand Rapids, and it is very outdoorsy. We have lived here for 10 years now. Pretty much all you need is right here. The pleasures of a small community with the luxuries of a bigger city. And if you can't find what you need here, Grand Rapids is 20 minutes away, Kalamazoo is 30 minutes away, and Plainwell is about 20 minutes away as well. So you won't have far to drive to get major shopping done.
What do you mean by "Military Friendly"? I believe people here support the military if that's what you mean.

Gun Lake Offers....

-lumber yard
-doctor offices - dentist offices
-nice community, with nice people - safe - clean
-family dollar - few clothing shops
-grocery shopping
-tanning - hair salons
-banking - post office
-few restaurants - fast food - a bar
-pizza - ice cream shops - fudge shops
-swimming - boating - parks - hiking - trails, etc.
-affordable housing
-about 10 minutes from the schools (for future if planning on kids)
-4th of July they have fireworks shows, which we sit outside or upstairs and watch from the backyard or windows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan