Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've noticed it too OP, as someone who was born/raised in Detroit.

The weather is one reason. With Michigan being surrounded by the Great Lakes (lake effect) it tends to see a lot of cloudy days. As a result, the extra boost of energy people would normally receive from the sunlight is lacking for a good part of the year.
Yeah, but does this really hold water if the OP is meeting former Michigan residents, in Colorado, which gets much more sunshine? I don't think the cloudy weather affects people for the rest of their lives. I'm pretty sure it only affects them while they are living in cloudy places.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
OP, I'm trying to get this, but I'm having a bit of a problem with the part where you say that people from California are "laid back". The times that I have been in the southern portion of that state, I don't think I have ever been around so many angry, selfish, stressed out people. Have you ever driven on the freeway system in California? The place gives "road rage" a whole new meaning. People in the public spectrum are not especially friendly either. "Laid back"? Wow. That is not a term that I would attribute to the good people of the Golden State.
I was the victim of watching too many "Beach Blanket Bimbo" movies as a teenager. Either things changed in southern California drastically or the whole "laid back" concept was an illusion.

We've lived here in soCal for 38 years now, after spending our first 20 in Michigan, and I doubt that there are more uptight, self-centered and arrogant people anywhere, except maybe NYC. Or is that another perpetuated myth also?

I'm sure that it has to do with the state's overpopulation, and the concentration of the population in the cities.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:13 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I am in Colorado and recently I have run across several people from different parts of Michigan. One thing I noticed is all of them seem to be a combative, angry and aggressive. I think they are nice people, but after awhile I start to wonder why they all have this attitude. I know people from California tend to be more laid back, Texans friendly etc... I never ran across a group of people that happened to be from the same state to be so rude, angry etc...

From picutres I have seen with the exception of Detroit, it looks so beautiful and peaceful near the lakes, so I am confused where this attitude comes from.
Maybe they're starting to miss Michigan (home).

Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
This state does suck. Just sayin'. The entire weekend is supposed to be cold and rainy. And that will probably continue for the next seven months.
You're high. Just sayin.

It's actually quite beautiful out right now, at least over here.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You're high. Just sayin.

It's actually quite beautiful out right now, at least over here.
Gorgeous here too, and I'm in the southeastern most corner of the state.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times
I can't see how anybody could talk bad about Michigan weather. It is absolutely the best. And the fact that its FINALLY getting cold is a plus. I am ready for snow so bring it on

As far as the attitudes are concern, I have seen some people that seem to have their butts on their shoulders...but what does that have to do with you as a individual? Maybe its your surroundings. Most of the people I know are hardworking, family oriented, church going people that love where they live and thank god for it everyday.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
The best? I just counted. It's likely to snow a minimum of 6 months this year. That's 6 months of overcast, cold and snowy weather. Michigan seldom gets sunny days in the winter, so few that when we do, we all freak out and talk about how great it is.

I like winter to a point, but it shouldn't last more than 3 months. Having 6 months of overcast skies, two or three months of rain and up-down cold/mild temperatures, and three months (if we're lucky) of warm sunshine, it's a miracle Michiganders aren't just committing suicide en masse, haha.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Yup...really sucks have green grass and trees, TONS of lakes and rivers, and just right temps. to be able to do things outside ALL year round. Everyone I know has a job!
Of course, you can only do winter things if you're upper middle class and have a snowmobile...

So, for most Michiganders, they spend the winter indoors watching TV.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Of course, you can only do winter things if you're upper middle class and have a snowmobile...
BS!

I hate snowmobiles, far from upper middle class; yet lo and behold I like winter. I love strapping on a set of old army snowshoes I bought for $20 at yard sale and taking a walk out through the woods after a snowfall. Nothing better than the sound of the snow crunching under your feet on a cold morning or the gentle whisper of of snowflakes falling through the trees when you are still and just enjoying your surroundings. Sledding; yes I'm 50 years old and still like to shoot down a hill on a $15 Dollar General sled... granted I don't always pop back up after a wipe-out as quick as I did 30 or 40 years ago, but it is still a rush. I keep an eye on Liftopia and when I see a good deal on a ski rental and lift ticket package, I grab it and go for the day. Usually I can get out on a ski hill a couple times a year for under $25 for both ticket and rentals. I don't ice fish, that just creeps me out out on the ice, but I do fish open rivers with the same gear I fish all summer with.

I will add though that while I enjoy snowshoeing, the past 5 years hasn't really given any real reason to use them. I've been all through the woods and trails without them every single winter month for the last 5 or 6 years. I get them out just because I have them and enjoy it, not because you really even have to have them to get out and enjoy the snow and winter. I also drag my camera along and really enjoy shooting some photos all winter. Looking back from 2008 until last winter I haven't yet seen a month where I don't have a few photos where the ground is bare during the winter months.

The idea you have to spend big money in order to enjoy winter and snow is a huge load of crap. Sure I may not look like I stepped off the cover of "Skiing" or "Outdoor Life" or any one of the numerous magazines that deal with winter sports, but I actually enjoy the outdoor experience.

Last edited by Bydand; 10-21-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

So, for most Michiganders, they spend the winter indoors watching TV.
Ice fishing.

Cross country skiing.

And spending the rest of the time indoors. Throwing things at the TV. When the Lions are on.

While I don't miss shoveling snow (a non issue really ifya live south of M-10), there are some things about TRUE wintertime that I do miss.

Phoenix would be perfect if it wasn't for the smog.

And the meth heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan