Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,779 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just got a job in Dearborn and I will be looking into grad school in Ann Arbor and looking for a job in the area. We are looking for somewhere to live with a manageable commute to both Dearborn and Ann Arbor. We're young and would like somewhere near restaurants/bars/shopping/other young people/fun stuff to do and can spend around $700 a month on an apartment. I have been hearing Livonia, Plymouth, Royal Oak, and Westland are good places to live.
Any suggestions, tips? Also, what is the job market like out there for health related professions/dietitians? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,498,459 times
Plymouth or Northville is your best bet as far as manageable commute to both Dearborn and Ann Arbor as well as being nearby things that people in their 20s want to be nearby. However, you are priced out of these cities with a $700/month budget. $700/month will probably get you a decent apartment in Westland, which is a very blue-collar suburb that will be somewhere around 20 minutes to Dearborn and 30-40 minutes to Ann Arbor. There is not much of anything for someone in their 20s in Westland, but you're not too far from Plymouth. You might be able to get a place in Livonia for $700/month, which is a slightly nicer blue collar suburb than Westland.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:41 PM

Just doing a quick search it looks like $700 is the low end in Plymouth, so you may be able to make that work. Plymouth Apartments - Rent Apartments in Plymouth, MI If you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend Plymouth over Westland and Livonia -- especially Westland. Westland isn't particularly dangerous, but it is somewhat blighted as far as suburbs go and has some not so nice areas. I looked at apartments there many years ago and saw plenty of shady characters. Livonia is very safe, but boring. Plymouth will give you the best of both worlds, and is well situated for both of your commutes.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
$700 will get Garden City, Westland, and MAY BE Livonia around Ann Arbor Trail / Newburg ($600 1 bedroom) There are also the old INNSBROOK apartments on 7 Mile in Northville that run around $700, but would anyone really want to live there?
Royal Oak is a bit far to commute to Ann Arbor. Really, anything east of Southfield (M-39) might be too far?Along the I-94 corridor are a few possibilities--In Belleville between Haggerty and Belleville Road.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:37 PM

544 posts, read 902,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Just doing a quick search it looks like $700 is the low end in Plymouth, so you may be able to make that work. Plymouth Apartments - Rent Apartments in Plymouth, MI If you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend Plymouth over Westland and Livonia -- especially Westland. Westland isn't particularly dangerous, but it is somewhat blighted as far as suburbs go and has some not so nice areas. I looked at apartments there many years ago and saw plenty of shady characters. Livonia is very safe, but boring. Plymouth will give you the best of both worlds, and is well situated for both of your commutes.
$700 in Plymouth doesn't sound right. The place is probably a dump.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,275,736 times
I wouldn't advise Plymouth or Northville for young people. Those are where late 30's/40's go to settle down/raise families in tony/excellent school districts. You'd be bored silly after two days.

Dearborn is good. Ann Arbor is good. To be honest the areas between are all suburban and not worth living in just to "split the commute." That creates two people equally unhappy. I would choose either Ann Arbor or Dearborn and only one of you have to commute. It's only 30 minutes going on 94 between AA and Dearborn.

Ann Arbor will have much more to do/younger vibe than Dearborn - but the job is in Dearborn so I would take the shorter commute over the unknown aspiration of getting into grad school/looking for a job. Dearborn still has a decent downtown/mall/amentities/community centers/ice rinks etc.

You can get grad school in Dearborn or Detroit too - much closer drive than AA. AA would be fun to visit on weekends - but I can't rationally justify why that would make sense now given your facts. You don't even have a job lined up in Ann Arbor. Tailor your job search more towards Dearborn/Southfield.

Dearborn wins.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I wouldn't advise Plymouth or Northville for young people. Those are where late 30's/40's go to settle down/raise families in tony/excellent school districts. You'd be bored silly after two days.

Dearborn is good. Ann Arbor is good. To be honest the areas between are all suburban and not worth living in just to "split the commute." That creates two people equally unhappy. I would choose either Ann Arbor or Dearborn and only one of you have to commute. It's only 30 minutes going on 94 between AA and Dearborn.

Ann Arbor will have much more to do/younger vibe than Dearborn - but the job is in Dearborn so I would take the shorter commute over the unknown aspiration of getting into grad school/looking for a job. Dearborn still has a decent downtown/mall/amentities/community centers/ice rinks etc.

You can get grad school in Dearborn or Detroit too - much closer drive than AA. AA would be fun to visit on weekends - but I can't rationally justify why that would make sense now given your facts. You don't even have a job lined up in Ann Arbor. Tailor your job search more towards Dearborn/Southfield.

Dearborn wins.
I did live in Dearborn for part of my 20s and was bored silly. There is much more nightlife in Plymouth than Dearborn. It's not Royal Oak, but there is a concentration of nice bars and restaurants in a walkable area. Dearborn's nightlife area consists of a single shopping complex that houses 4 bars - Bailey's, Howell's, the Post and the Double Olive. On any given weekend, the Post and the Double Olive are the only two bars that have much of a young crowd. Bailey's skews older and Howell's is a townie bar.

As far as restaurants go, there are a couple trendy sushi places, but the rest are places like Kiernan's that have been there for 50 years and cater to the blue hair special crowd.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 PM

18 posts, read 31,644 times
Westland has gotten a bit worse over the past few years, Livonia and Plymouth are a bit pricy, and Royal Oak is a bit far from Ann Arbor, and the commute on 696 is HORRIBLE during the daytime. I would recommend Ypsilanti or Dearborn Heights.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,779 times
Thank you everyone for the info! I think we are still leaning towards Plymouth, the bf spent some the summer in Dearborn and doesn't want to move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan