Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 12:09 AM

9 posts, read 16,066 times

Advertisements

I will be attending NMU next fall and am trying to find information on apartments and it is extremely hard. Anyone have any suggestions on nice parts of town to look at? Preferably close to NMU. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 AM

53 posts, read 149,039 times
You are going to have to lower your standards a bit in the UP. I lived in Houghton for ~6-12 months and the UP is one of those places where I HIGHLY recommend you visit the location in person before signing anything. Some of the apartments are decades old. Not much new builds. The recent builds (within the last 10 years) are mostly around the NMU area for transient students like yourself. I would also get in touch with the schools housing department. Again like I said not much of a population up there but wilderness and there's no inter-state in-between major metro areas either.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 AM

89 posts, read 194,261 times
How close are we talking? Do you want to walk to campus? Have a short commute? Give a little more information and maybe we could help a little more.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuguy25 View Post
How close are we talking? Do you want to walk to campus? Have a short commute? Give a little more information and maybe we could help a little more.
I would like to walk to school. Probably no more than a mile radius. It is going to be my boyfriend and myself so I am not going to be looking for any roommates. We want to stay below $600.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzzz88 View Post
You are going to have to lower your standards a bit in the UP. I lived in Houghton for ~6-12 months and the UP is one of those places where I HIGHLY recommend you visit the location in person before signing anything. Some of the apartments are decades old. Not much new builds. The recent builds (within the last 10 years) are mostly around the NMU area for transient students like yourself. I would also get in touch with the schools housing department. Again like I said not much of a population up there but wilderness and there's no inter-state in-between major metro areas either.
That's what I am nervous about but it's not like it's the cheapest thing to just pack up and head on over there for a weekend because I live in California. If I could I definitely would! The pictures of the naturey types of places is beautiful but the actually buildings and houses look a little iffy. I am counting on me and my boyfriend's love of doing outdoorsy things (hiking, snowboarding, going to the beach, etc.) to get us through school until we can come back to California.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM

89 posts, read 194,261 times
Marquette is great for the beauty. People are very nice, good food and affordable prices. You mentioned you like outdoor adventures, Marquette is going to be right up your alley. (Just be prepared for extremely long winters, extremely).

But, as mentioned earlier, the rental market is dated. Most apartments and houses are going to be a little older and the amenities are not going to be the best.

With that being said, I went to Northern for a year and have had many friends graduate from there (I'm originally from a town called Negaunee, next to Marquette). You can find rentals on hotpads.com and I would recommend craigslist. Obviously, it's going to be tough to sign a lease without seeing the place, but if you can I would recommend it. Like a lot of college ares, lease season is near the end of the semester. You are going to have slim pickings right now. Look around March/April for more listings - and through the summer. I know it's exciting and you would like to lock something up now, but the reality is most landlords will not list until they know they need to, hence most listings will come up at the end of the semester. If you can get to the area sometime during the summer, a lot of landlords just put "for rent" signs in their yards and do not advertise.

Once their are ample listings, I do not believe you will have an issue finding a place. Everyone I know, found some palce to live near campus. There are not many "apartments" in Marquette to rent. Popular are duplex's and houses to rent. $600 is tight, but doable. I asked about the walking, because winter is extreme and walking to campus during the winter is not fun (well, at least not for me, haha). Ice and 200+ inches of snow is never fun. In my year at Northern, I think I slipped twice on the ice, heading up to Jamrich hall. If you are able to drive to campus, you open up the rental market. Negaunee, Harvey, and around 550 (which is more isolated, but a beautiful area).

If you have other questions, let us know. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
You are going to school. So you will be studying and concentrating on work. So who cares if Marquette is outdated and not as exciting as Flint, Saginaw, or Detroit? At least you will not be distracted.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 PM

351 posts, read 797,202 times
In the last two years, roughly 5 new apt buildings just went up in mqt. The east side is a high density neighborhood close to downtown, 3rd st village, and campus. The rentals there will be more house oriented. Rentals are scattered about almost every neighborhood but I think the closer to NMU and downtown/lake they will be a bit more expensive. That is my guessing anyway. Walking and biking are very common in Mqt and you even see snow bikes in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan