Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:23 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,728,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Bear in mind that I was just a kid, picking up deposit bottles in the 50s, for some extra pocket money.
No wonder you had trouble returning them. The bottle deposit didn't start in MI until 1978, it was passed in 1976. Before that time there was no bottle deposit or return. Shoot I'm only 50 and I remember when it started.

I think you are confusing the modern bottle deposit which is easy, to the old "deposit" bottles that were cleaned and used again. Those had to go back to the company that filled them and were phased out during the mid 50's to early 60's and were not real wide spread to begin with. You cannot compare what that was to what is now, to do so is trying to compare apples to oranges and is disingenuous at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 01:57 PM

4,555 posts, read 4,800,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
They have gone high tech. The Meijer by us in Grand Rapids is one of their "prototype" new layouts, ...
The Zeeb rd Ann Arbor Meijers is like that. IIRC is was built in 05. Putting the bottle return outboard is the best thing ever. Having a separate entrance for it is the 2nd best thing .

Wegman's out here does the same thing, a separate little bottle return room off from the entrance. We also use the same Tomra machines Meijers uses (last time I was in MI, I only returned bottles at Meijers )

Old 12-01-2013, 07:45 PM

493 posts, read 1,441,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No wonder you had trouble returning them. The bottle deposit didn't start in MI until 1978, it was passed in 1976. Before that time there was no bottle deposit or return. Shoot I'm only 50 and I remember when it started.

I think you are confusing the modern bottle deposit which is easy, to the old "deposit" bottles that were cleaned and used again. Those had to go back to the company that filled them and were phased out during the mid 50's to early 60's and were not real wide spread to begin with. You cannot compare what that was to what is now, to do so is trying to compare apples to oranges and is disingenuous at best.
You're absolutely correct on this point. What I did remember is returning those bottles that were sterilized and refilled. But, still, we paid a deposit when buying the beverages.

Sounds like your new system works better. The only experience I had lately was this past summer, while traveling around Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. We got as far as Alpena and needed some beer and wine, so I stopped at a liquor store that had a great wine selection. I also unloaded all of the beer bottles. While they had a machine, they took the bottles instead and gave me a credit on my purchase for the deposit.

BTW, the ads phrase it wrong here in CA. They say, "...plus CRV." You don't pay a value, you pay a deposit, and then the container has a return value.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 PM

493 posts, read 1,441,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
The Zeeb rd Ann Arbor Meijers is like that. IIRC is was built in 05. Putting the bottle return outboard is the best thing ever. Having a separate entrance for it is the 2nd best thing .

Wegman's out here does the same thing, a separate little bottle return room off from the entrance. We also use the same Tomra machines Meijers uses (last time I was in MI, I only returned bottles at Meijers )
We had that same brand of machine here in CA; maybe we still do. I got tired of going to this one redemption center located in the parking lot of a shopping center with a major supermarket. Half the time when they were closed the machines didn't work, or when they were open they hadn't had a pickup and were full.
Even at best, I still had to go inside a supermarket that I seldom shopped at to redeem the coupon.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,728,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
You're absolutely correct on this point. What I did remember is returning those bottles that were sterilized and refilled. But, still, we paid a deposit when buying the beverages.

Sounds like your new system works better. The only experience I had lately was this past summer, while traveling around Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. We got as far as Alpena and needed some beer and wine, so I stopped at a liquor store that had a great wine selection. I also unloaded all of the beer bottles. While they had a machine, they took the bottles instead and gave me a credit on my purchase for the deposit.

BTW, the ads phrase it wrong here in CA. They say, "...plus CRV." You don't pay a value, you pay a deposit, and then the container has a return value.
Yeah the new deposit system is easy. Don't get me wrong though, there still are deposit bottles that you pay a deposit on, then return to the retailer to send back to the bottler to be sterilized and re-used. The only ones left that I have seen in decades are milk bottles to very small dairies. They are not pennies for the deposit either anymore, last ones I picked up are $2 a bottle deposit, but you get it back when you take the bottle back to the store or dairy. It is funny the reaction you get when you haul out one of the old style milk bottles from the fridge when there is company. Most people under 40 have never seen a milk bottle that is being used and not just set up as a display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan