Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM

65 posts, read 168,911 times

Advertisements

I have to move from Fort Wayne, IN which I have grown to love back to Michigan. I am from Detroit born and raised and my daughter was born in Detroit but only lived there until she was three. We have lived in Livonia and Warren but mainly we have lived out of state for most of her life. She is 17 and now pregnant and I won't get into why we're moving back. But anyway, we need to move back before the baby is born this summer. I am mixed raced and my daughter is 3/4 white and looks completely white. Her baby will be half Mexican and Italian though the dad looked completely Mexican. We left Detroit because of harassment and lived more comfortably down-south. When we returned we lived in Warren for a year which was fine but we lived too close to Detroit and had too many random acts of violence happen to us. We ended up moving to Livonia where we encountered unbelievable harassment, some from Mixed Families themselves. They weren't used to families like ours, multi-biracial families. My daughter would get called Adopted daily and teased and kids would say, 'she looks white but she's not white' and the teachers and parents and neighbors would follow us around, block our friends in our driveway, stare and mess with any guest that came over our house, etc. even the mail-lady would knock our garbage cans into the ditch every chance she could, and much more for three years until we couldn't take it anymore and we left the state again. I don't want to move back into that same situation.

I love it in Fort Wayne because it's so racially diverse. And this situation with the father of the child that I won't go into, is forcing us to uproot our lives and move. I have family in Jackson though I don't know who they are. I don't remember much about Jackson when I visited as a child. Being a multiracial family, I want to move where we will be comfortable like we are here. I don't want to go where we will be stared at, put down, or mistreated. What is Jackson like? Thanks.

Last edited by leasmom; 12-04-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom View Post
I have to move from Fort Wayne, IN which I have grown to love back to Michigan. I am from Detroit born and raised and my daughter was born in Detroit but only lived there until she was three. We have lived in Livonia and Warren but mainly we have lived out of state for most of her life. She is 17 and now pregnant and I won't get into why we're moving back. But anyway, we need to move back before the baby is born this summer. I am mixed raced and my daughter is 3/4 white and looks completely white. Her baby will be half Mexican and Italian though the dad looked completely Mexican. We left Detroit because of harassment and lived more comfortably down-south. When we returned we lived in Warren for a year which was fine but we lived too close to Detroit and had too many random acts of violence happen to us. We ended up moving to Livonia where we encountered unbelievable harassment, some from Mixed Families themselves. They weren't used to families like ours, multi-biracial families. My daughter would get called Adopted daily and teased and kids would say, 'she looks white but she's not white' and the teachers and parents and neighbors would follow us around, block our friends in our driveway, stare and mess with any guest that came over our house, etc. even the mail-lady would knock our garbage cans into the ditch every chance she could, and much more for three years until we couldn't take it anymore and we left the state again. I don't want to move back into that same situation.

I love it in Fort Wayne because it's so racially diverse. And this situation with the father of the child that I won't go into, is forcing us to uproot our lives and move. I have family in Jackson though I don't know who they are. I don't remember much about Jackson when I visited as a child. Being a multiracial family, I want to move where we will be comfortable like we are here. I don't want to go where we will be stared at, put down, or mistreated. What is Jackson like? Thanks.
Wow... The things you described are awful, awful, awful. I can't even imagine what that was like.

My first question... How long ago did all of that happen? I hate to think that such horrible behavior could occur ANYWHERE in this day and age.

I don't know a ton about Jackson, but my gut instinct tells me that you will not have that problem there. It is a fairly diverse town, probably similar to Fort Wayne. Metro Detroit does have a terrible reputation for race relations but I've never gotten that impression about Jackson. It is actually a long ways from Detroit and the culture and history of the city is not the same. I do know that Jackson High is very diverse.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
That's awful, leasmom. I think you can find racism and bigotry anywhere, sadly. It's just going to be more prevalent in some regions than others.

I know Jackon a little bit...it is not terribly diverse (I identify as a diverse number of races and different socio-economic cultures) but does have about a fifth of the population black so mixed-race families/kids won't be unheard of. The outlying areas - Grass Lake, Michigan Center, Leoni Twp etc are very "white" from what I've observed. Of course that doesn't mean you and your daughter be discriminated against.

The 13-year-old grandson of good friends of mine just got a ten-day suspension from school in Jackson for beating up another kid. His father is Puerto Rican and he is dark; he was getting teased and that's why he went after the other kid (who got a six-day suspension.) But mind you he has lived in Jackson his entire life and this is the first that I've heard of any racially-biased tension in that family.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Would Lansing be more culturally diverse than Jackson?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Dunno. It is a bit bigger. Being a university town, possibly a bit more expensive for housing.

You can go on the main City-Data page and compare the demographics and so on between the two - and other towns (Chelsea, A2, etc.)

Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I looked up Lansing and it is much more diverse. I like that. I don't know more than that but the fact that it is so diverse is a plus for us. I think I'll look further into it. Plus, its the exact same distance to our family in Westland and in Detroit as Jackson.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
East Lansing, Holt, Okemos and the West Lansing/Waverly area(Waverly Schools) are suburban areas of Lansing with a notable to high degree of diversity. So, you should be fine or find what you are looking for there.

Ann Arbor or Detroit suburbs like Farmington Hills/Farmington and Canton would work too.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:46 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
In general, Michigan is NOT the ultra-segregated place it used to be. But Jackson would not be my very first choice. The necks in Jackson are noticeably red, in my experience. If you are moving to Jackson specifically because you have a job waiting there I wouldn't be overly concerned; I never hear about an actual racial incident there. But it is a lot more diverse and openly tolerant in places like Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor and E. Lansing.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:52 AM

603 posts, read 877,422 times
Sorry to hear about some of the racism your family has endured. I used to live in the Detroit suburbs (Rochester-area) and did notice a slight bit of hostility/unfriendliness from some people, but there were enough minorities like myself to keep the place pretty alright.

I don't know too much about Jackson, but it doesn't sound like a great fit for your family.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Having lived near Farmington Hills that wouldn't be a good fit for us. But Lansing is a great fit. My daughter's sign language teacher-(here they have a dual high school and college program so my daughter is in both high school and takes IPFW classes)-told her to look into the sign language program in Lansing. The housing is pretty reasonable compared to other places which run much higher that was one of the reasons we moved out of state from Livonia, we couldn't find a 2 bedroom house at the time that didn't run in the over one thousand range and it was too ridiculously priced for a rental for us and time was running out on our lease and so we moved out of state where it was cheaper. But the main reason though was the racial problems both in Livonia and in Detroit. But, yes, Lansing is super diverse and I'm actually excited about moving there. They also have a great art community there too and I am a professional artist and have had success here in Fort Wayne and Jackson's art community was more limited. So, looks like Lansing is it. Thanks everyone for answering that for us!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan