Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resendetra View Post
Well, I called the courthouse a bit ago and was told that it will be $115 if I pay it today over the phone, if I wait till tomorrow, it will go up $25. Also, I asked her if my license will become suspended if I don't pay it right away and she said that it won't happen unless I don't pay it at all within 66 days. So that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I will definitely need to try to get insurance, even though it costs an arm and a leg, no matter how long I have it for. I read that in 2012, 1.5 million people in Michigan are uninsured, which is sad, but the costs are so high. I have friends in Indiana and Kentucky that couldn't believe what it costs in this state for minimum insurance, because they normally pay around $90 a month.

Lastly, they have stopped doing driver responsibility fees for such offenses in Michigan, which went into effect in October 2012 - Click here
I have insurance through state farm..its about 89.00 bucks a month...i was thinking this is cheap comparing to other quotes I've heard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,461 times
Sounds like it should all work out. Yay!

I don't know where you live, but I have full coverage on an SUV in Detroit and I pay $490/six months. Just renewed Jan 2. Granted it's a 2003 model, (11 years old), but still, it comes with accepting ownership of a car. Shop around. I use Progressive online. That's comparable to the Indiana/Kentucky rates you quoted. Do a little homework/internet sleuthing before paying the first insurance agent you talk to.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. If you don't want a car, or the costs associated with them, there are plenty of towns you can move that have mass transit where you don't need a car/license. We choose where we live/work. This is like moving to a remote island off Alaska and complaining there is no bridge to where you live.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM

13 posts, read 19,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Wow, I think you lucked out!

You will definitely pay a premium for insurance if you haven't maintained coverage because you're automatically considered high risk. But after six months the premiums should be very significantly decreased. Call around for quotes, they can vary quite a bit. I have Farm Bureau.

Finally, there is a reason that auto insurance places open up right next to Secretary of State - and sell insurance by the week. My agent tells me that a very high percentage of drivers (can't recall details) are insured for one week, or one month, per year. So they can get their tags.
That is understandable, it also goes by credit also. I have tried looking around this morning and the lowest I found was $131 a month, which I could definitely do. I think the reason why it was so high for me before is the fact that my credit was pretty bad. I remember even talking to someone at Huntington Bank about it and they said my auto insurance would stay around $300 if I didn't fix my credit, but that has since been fixed.

Also, my mother was telling me about those places that can give you a week of insurance, she knew of someone that did that just so they could get new tags. I could never do that, the only reason my 6 month policy wasn't renewed was because I lost my job and just now got a new one.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 AM

13 posts, read 19,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Sounds like it should all work out. Yay!

I don't know where you live, but I have full coverage on an SUV in Detroit and I pay $490/six months. Just renewed Jan 2. Granted it's a 2003 model, (11 years old), but still, it comes with accepting ownership of a car. Shop around. I use Progressive online. That's comparable to the Indiana/Kentucky rates you quoted. Do a little homework/internet sleuthing before paying the first insurance agent you talk to.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. If you don't want a car, or the costs associated with them, there are plenty of towns you can move that have mass transit where you don't need a car/license. We choose where we live/work. This is like moving to a remote island off Alaska and complaining there is no bridge to where you live.
I wish I could get close to the rate you have. I have a 2002 Ford Focus, so it's not like a sports car or anything. lol I've always shopped around and I ended up having to pay over $200 a month for AAA, which was the cheapest I could find at the time, until I ended up losing my job. I don't think my credit is up to par just yet, since after I cleaned it up, I ended up with medical bills on it, which I think is why I'm getting quoted between $130 to $190 a month. I'm in a smaller town in southwest Michigan, so there's not much transportation. Plus, I think relocating would cost more than getting insurance in the long run.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Wow, I think you lucked out!

You will definitely pay a premium for insurance if you haven't maintained coverage because you're automatically considered high risk. But after six months the premiums should be very significantly decreased. Call around for quotes, they can vary quite a bit. I have Farm Bureau.

Finally, there is a reason that auto insurance places open up right next to Secretary of State - and sell insurance by the week. My agent tells me that a very high percentage of drivers (can't recall details) are insured for one week, or one month, per year. So they can get their tags.

When I was 17-22 years of stupidity, I would go to those fly by night agencies like LA Insurance and LOOK and put $50 down and make one payment of $75 the next month and just "forget" the other 11 months..
Almost eveyone I worked with at the steel mill did the same that were under 26 years of stupidity.

I had a few friends then who used to cut the tabs off other cars and glue them onto their plates...

I had more than a few kids in Pontiac and Detroit who were pulled over and given tickets for no insurance. It may be expensive here (we pay $125 month PL/PD for 2 cars) compared to other states (we paid $50 month for the same coverage in NC) but IFsome crazy runs you over, insurance can be your saving grace.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
When I was 17-22 years of stupidity, I would go to those fly by night agencies like LA Insurance and LOOK and put $50 down and make one payment of $75 the next month and just "forget" the other 11 months..
Almost eveyone I worked with at the steel mill did the same that were under 26 years of stupidity.

I had a few friends then who used to cut the tabs off other cars and glue them onto their plates...

I had more than a few kids in Pontiac and Detroit who were pulled over and given tickets for no insurance. It may be expensive here (we pay $125 month PL/PD for 2 cars) compared to other states (we paid $50 month for the same coverage in NC) but IFsome crazy runs you over, insurance can be your saving grace.
Yes absolutely. And I won't deny that MI auto insurance is very high...when I moved here from another state I was gobsmacked that it cost me more here for PLPD than full coverage where I lived before. And I have a "preferred" status because no accidents.

I hate paying those dues! But the peace of mind is priceless.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
The high rates in Michigan are from the no fault system.

I love no fault.

To compare prices state to state is apples to oranges.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:42 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
As Will Rogers used to quip, "We have the best looking politicians money can buy!"

The insurance industry lobby is one of the strongest lobbies in the country. It was through their efforts that car insurance became mandatory in Michigan. Years ago, Michigan allowed uninsured drivers to pay $100/year into an uninsured motorists fund which was set up to cover certain liabilities. So few claims were made against the fund that the state accumulated 10s or 100s of millions of surplus dollars.

Of course, the insurance lobbyists wanted to see those dollars go into their coffers, not the state's. Hence they got the state to do away with the uninsured motorists fund and required each and every driver to buy private insurance. Having secured a state mandate for everyone to buy insurance, the insurance companies have profited greatly at the public's expense. The exhorbitant rates they charge have little relationship to the low risks they are taking.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
As Will Rogers used to quip, "We have the best looking politicians money can buy!"

The insurance industry lobby is one of the strongest lobbies in the country. It was through their efforts that car insurance became mandatory in Michigan. Years ago, Michigan allowed uninsured drivers to pay $100/year into an uninsured motorists fund which was set up to cover certain liabilities. So few claims were made against the fund that the state accumulated 10s or 100s of millions of surplus dollars.

Of course, the insurance lobbyists wanted to see those dollars go into their coffers, not the state's. Hence they got the state to do away with the uninsured motorists fund and required each and every driver to buy private insurance. Having secured a state mandate for everyone to buy insurance, the insurance companies have profited greatly at the public's expense. The exhorbitant rates they charge have little relationship to the low risks they are taking.
The no-fault benefits are priceless if you need them.

Medical for life as been a God send after my husbands accident.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 PM

111 posts, read 148,189 times
you should go where the job is not try to drive 200 miles to one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan