Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 AM

111 posts, read 147,414 times

Advertisements

Sorry for this thread but i am not seeing anywhere where these guys make 75 dollars an hour?!
This guy is a bozo and like other bozos could not fix my system.Anyways i see the max they may make is 40 per hour.Am i wrong? He says its his company smh
Again sorry it may look like a trollish thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,776,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrema View Post
Sorry for this thread but i am not seeing anywhere where these guys make 75 dollars an hour?!
This guy is a bozo and like other bozos could not fix my system.Anyways i see the max they may make is 40 per hour.Am i wrong? He says its his company smh
The best way to see what the market rate is for HVAC labor is to have 3 companies give you a quote on the work you want done. Have them break down parts, labor, etc..

$75 for an hour's worth of furnace or air-conditioner repair does not seem that out of line to me.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,693,369 times
Quote:
It's not so much a trollish thread.

I'm just don't see how any of your topics are Michigan-specific. Your experience could have happened anywhere.

But I guess if no one else has a problem with it...

Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,537,122 times
Consumers Energy offers repair on appliances such as stoves, furnace, air conditioners..its only about 10.00 per month but if something breaks down they will either fix it or replace it. Something to consider

Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,094,232 times
Again?

Anyway, it seems reasonable. You're not just paying for one tech's labor. The money to cover insurance, trucks, equipment, taxes and so on has to come from somewhere.

As Magellan says, get three estimates and compare. There can be quite a difference, with the smaller guys actually cheaper because their overhead is lower.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,214,532 times
Quote:
LOL....you are lucky......I charge $125.....it includes 1/2 of work.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,063,673 times
It ain't WALMART....

My person charges a $70 service call PLUS actual work / parts..

Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM

123 posts, read 223,064 times
A $75 per hour charge sounds like an industry average to me. I just had a company come out for a burst water pipe and it was $90/hour plus $50 house call plus parts.

FYI I also learned some more details about the Consumers Energy ASP repair program. I have the ASP on just my furnace and it is about $10 per month add more appliances and the cost goes up, details are on their web site.

My blower motor on the furnace just died and I called Consumers and they sent out a repair guy who replaced the motor, my out-of-pocket were zero, the tech said it would have been about a $900 repair. What I also learned is that their is another "Gold" level to the Consumers repair program that costs an additional $8 per month. Only the "Gold" program will cover the heat exchanger or a total replacement of the furnace, the regular ASP will not.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,897,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoletsgo View Post
A $75 per hour charge sounds like an industry average to me. I just had a company come out for a burst water pipe and it was $90/hour plus $50 house call plus parts.

FYI I also learned some more details about the Consumers Energy ASP repair program. I have the ASP on just my furnace and it is about $10 per month add more appliances and the cost goes up, details are on their web site.

My blower motor on the furnace just died and I called Consumers and they sent out a repair guy who replaced the motor, my out-of-pocket were zero, the tech said it would have been about a $900 repair. What I also learned is that their is another "Gold" level to the Consumers repair program that costs an additional $8 per month. Only the "Gold" program will cover the heat exchanger or a total replacement of the furnace, the regular ASP will not.
Exactly right. Up until recently I had CE "Furnace Care" at $11 per month - other additions come with a slight additional charge. Apparently, after a time you are not locked into the yearly contract unless you use it at some point during the current contract year - good news if you plan on moving and can avoid a service call. From what I gather, if you use them at any point, you will owe them for the whole year (which could still be a bargain).

Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 PM

4,550 posts, read 4,796,676 times
$75 is cheap.

He doesn't "make" $75 per hour. He charges $75 per hour. He probably makes less than $25 per hour, $50 per hour is for PPE - property, plant, and equipment - benefits, and insurance.

10 years ago, a laborer (i.e. unskilled worker) would be estimated at $55 per hour. $75 for a skilled trade is CHEAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan