Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 19,385 times

Advertisements

Ferndale and Ann Arbor would be awesome choices. I live in Ypsi and my BF lives in Ferndale so I frequent both cities quite a bit. Lots of things to do, family friendly communities, lots of diversity, but when it comes down to schools Ann Arbor is HANDS DOWN better than Ferndale. Ann Arbor is known for it's schools. If you want school ratings "Greatschools.com" is pretty awesome. My daughter is in Ann Arbor schools and I wouldn't change it unless absolutely necessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:51 AM

46 posts, read 61,685 times
Haslett is a wonderful community. I live there currently and I am a high school student. In my school, you get picked on if you are mean to gay kids, not if you are gay. The other day a kid we all knew was gay came out of the closet and he got high fives. The parents are all this way to, the whole community is. Its extremely close to MSU so its a pretty busy city but also very suburban. The lake is walking distance from a lot of houses, we have a major mall near by, the school systems are amazing and very challenging compared to our neighbor counterparts, though a big rival is Okemos, but I suggest you do no send you kids there. I used to go there, terrible snotty school full of bullies and politics.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM

19 posts, read 24,902 times
Ann Arbor would be the only obvious choice. They have a lot of gays and a few gay bars. I don't think a gay would get along well anywhere else in Michigan.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heftafont View Post
Ann Arbor would be the only obvious choice. They have a lot of gays and a few gay bars. I don't think a gay would get along well anywhere else in Michigan.
I know a lot of gay people that live in the Grand Rapids area. There are also a bunch of gay bars downtown (4 of them now I think), and the Grand Rapids Chamber just started an LGBT networking group. I would say that you can live in any city in Michigan (of 100,000+) and be fine.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
Places I suggest to meet loving gays would have to be Utica, MI area at the most. Very diverse people, I've made tons of gay friends there. Clemens, Birmingham, Shelby Township and Clawson are the places with the most gays.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I know a lot of gay people that live in the Grand Rapids area. There are also a bunch of gay bars downtown (4 of them now I think), and the Grand Rapids Chamber just started an LGBT networking group. I would say that you can live in any city in Michigan (of 100,000+) and be fine.
I'm one of those Grand Rapids gay people. It bothers me when people use worn out stereotypes to pigeon hole western Michigan. The Grand Rapids area is just fine for gays and the community is growing and attracting new gays all the time. The historically conservative western suburbs of Grand Rapids do not speak for the lions share of the region. All anyone making these statements need do is spend a little time there and they'll understand the ignorance of the statements.

I have never felt discriminated toward or out of place in Grand Rapids and I don't know anyone who has.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:01 PM

173 posts, read 404,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heftafont View Post
This is nonsense. Stop trolling.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:23 PM

211 posts, read 588,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripper View Post
Traverse City.
I'd second that. Surprisingly liberal within the City and very tolerant of sexual orientation. Very active arts community. Once you get outside of the City it gets much more conservative but still pretty tolerant. The longtime director of the Downtown Development Authority and a former city commissioner was openly gay and was highly respected within the community and was the recipient of a very prestigious local civic award.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
I'd second that. Surprisingly liberal within the City and very tolerant of sexual orientation. Very active arts community. Once you get outside of the City it gets much more conservative but still pretty tolerant. The longtime director of the Downtown Development Authority and a former city commissioner was openly gay and was highly respected within the community and was the recipient of a very prestigious local civic award.
I don't think in Michigan "conservative" always means "intolerant" or "religious fanatic". It's not deep South.

Michiganders in general are more inclined to mind their own business and let the others be. Even the people who may not like your lifestyle will likely never show it.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 AM

447 posts, read 496,420 times
Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo would be very good choices for you. They are #1 and #2 in the state for having the most gay couples living together.
Kalamazoo County is No. 2 in state in percentage of same-sex households; see our database | MLive.com

Both may be too large for you as they have metros well over 300k, however they both have an urban core (Kalamazoo more so), thriving downtowns and nightlife, and large suburban area.

Saugatuck may be the best fit you size wise. Unlike what some here have suggested, it is not a city that a lot gays vacation in, but instead it is a vacation city that has a large gay population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan