Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 9,455 times

Advertisements

I recently got offered a job to work for GM. Salary is about 110k.

I currently live in CT and I don't know what to expect. I need to make a decision this week of whether I should move to Detroit or not.

What things should I be considering? How safe and comfortable would I be? With a 110k salary I could probably afford an apartment on the riverfront, unless I move to bloomfield hills (I heard thats a really nice town)

Pardon me for sounding like a newbie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 AM

123 posts, read 224,718 times
At $110k you can afford just about anything in metro Detroit, you get much more for your $ here vs CT.
I would spend some time and read all the posts about moving to Detroit that people have already responded to.
Then repost yours with more background info and more specific desires - an apartment on the Detroit River versus Bloomfield Hills is more than apples and oranges, more like watermelon and peas.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,253,358 times
Provided GM survives the killer ignition switch, $110K will do pretty good in most areas. If you want to spend $1500 plus a month so you can say my address is Bloomfield or West Bloomfield you will then need a car to keep up appearances. Especially if you are single. May be you can get a great GM discount on the new 2014 Corvette?

If you are at GM downtown(?) I would look in the northern burbs like Troy, Rochester, or even Birmingham or Royal Oak.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 9,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Provided GM survives the killer ignition switch, $110K will do pretty good in most areas. If you want to spend $1500 plus a month so you can say my address is Bloomfield or West Bloomfield you will then need a car to keep up appearances. Especially if you are single. May be you can get a great GM discount on the new 2014 Corvette?

If you are at GM downtown(?) I would look in the northern burbs like Troy, Rochester, or even Birmingham or Royal Oak.
I dont mean to sound like a douche, but I drive a Mercedes.

I am taking into account different aspects of life, I still make a healthy 70k for a great billion dollar company here in CT and my girlfriend and sister are 15-20 minutes away from me.

GM offered me the job, and wants me to make a decision by tomorrow, and be ready to work in 3 weeks. I would be working for their legal department so I would be immediately involved in the mess. Im not sure what decision to take.

That being said, I am middle eastern and there seems to be tons of hookah bars in the area to entice me.

Thanks for your tips.

Do you think a 24 year old would enjoy living in Royal Oak more or perhaps Farmington Hills/Auburn Hills/Bloomfield townships?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,610,737 times
Probably would enjoy Royal Oak a little more. It has a small downtown with some bars and restaurants and one or two high rise condos. The other suburbs are pretty much all sleepy but great residential areas.

Metro Detroit has a pretty sizable middle eastern population so the adjustment would be pretty easy as far as that goes.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,100,612 times
Sam,

Are you going to work downtown at the HQ? (RenCen).

R.O. might be a good fit.

Dearborn (not a slam......but he is middle eastern).....

The climate is pretty much the same, and you won't have to choose between two sports cities either.

(Not sure if you're into that).

Old 04-23-2014, 01:20 PM

211 posts, read 299,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammm421 View Post
I dont mean to sound like a douche, but I drive a Mercedes.

I am taking into account different aspects of life, I still make a healthy 70k for a great billion dollar company here in CT and my girlfriend and sister are 15-20 minutes away from me.

GM offered me the job, and wants me to make a decision by tomorrow, and be ready to work in 3 weeks. I would be working for their legal department so I would be immediately involved in the mess. Im not sure what decision to take.

That being said, I am middle eastern and there seems to be tons of hookah bars in the area to entice me.

Thanks for your tips.

Do you think a 24 year old would enjoy living in Royal Oak more or perhaps Farmington Hills/Auburn Hills/Bloomfield townships?

That might be a problem.....
Metro Detroit is ok.... 40k bonus would probably make me move as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,950,206 times
You'd be fine~your money will buy loads of airline tickets back to visit GF and sister. See if you can get a short term rental of a few months while you take the time to look around. You may find that your co-workers will offer great suggestions, advice, and you'd have some evenings/weekends to scout out areas. The relocation/human services department should be able to help you find a corporate 3 month lease.

Welcome to Mittengan!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 PM

792 posts, read 2,326,663 times
I've spent a lot of time in the New Haven/Hamden area over the years. My opinion: No contest! Make the move! If you don't want a long-distance relationship, propose to your GF and bring her out after you get settled. If she can't find a job she likes, let her be a stay-at-home mom -- you'll be making enough to support a family and buy a house. Or dump her and get a better GF here.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM

211 posts, read 299,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
I've spent a lot of time in the New Haven/Hamden area over the years. My opinion: No contest! Make the move! If you don't want a long-distance relationship, propose to your GF and bring her out after you get settled. If she can't find a job she likes, let her be a stay-at-home mom -- you'll be making enough to support a family and buy a house. Or dump her and [b]get a better GF here.

Now that might be a little harder to do.... lol

Last edited by Count David; 04-23-2014 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: fixed quoting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan