Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
LOL. Your hyperbole is over the top, yet entertaining.
Well that's how I feel about Jackson, and you may think it over the top, but I came to feel that way by living there for too many years. I came by it honestly. I don't see it as hyperbole at all, and neither do many I know from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Quote:
If we ever get nuked I hope to God they hit Jackson first.
This is the definition of "over the top." There are probably people in Jackson who would prefer not to be nuked, no matter how miserable they are.

I get it that you don't like Jackson, and you have a right to your opinion, but that doesn't mean that your opinion isn't slightly wacko either. I said that your post was entertaining, so hopefully you can at least take my compliment for what it's worth. I enjoy your writing.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
This is the definition of "over the top." There are probably people in Jackson who would prefer not to be nuked, no matter how miserable they are.
How fortunate that I have no interest in your opinions.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,609,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
How fortunate that I have no interest in your opinions.
Well... now I can see where the over-dramatization comes from. The lens through which your original post was written is becoming more transparent.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM

27 posts, read 54,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Having any fondness at all for Jackson requires that you have spent very little time there! My two youngest brothers still live there, leading lives of seething desperation and despair. The best thing that could be done with Jackson is for it to be bulldozed and paved over. If it were turned into a lake it would become a sewer. That's just the nature of the place.

It's a rotten, wretched, miserable, and deeply corrupt place that sucks all the joy and hope out of life. It is the swollen and infected appendix of America, a cancerous growth on the nation, a yawning chasm of malignance and despair. If we ever get nuked I hope to God they hit Jackson first.
I disagree with one aspect of this statement: I've spent the better part of 46 1/2 years here. I've lived elsewhere for periods of time; Coldwater, Mi., Lansing, MI., Hillsdale, Mi., Newaygo, Mi., Buchannon, Va., Colorado Springs, Co. and Bowling Green, Kentucky, and I DO have a fondness for aspects of Jackson, Mi. and yet I cannot bring myself to disagree with anything else in your post, in fact I have probably said the same things at some point in time except the swollen, infected appendix part. I have however said that if Michigan was going to get an enema, the hose would go in Jackson.

Absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder and I hope that once I leave Jackson, my memories will mellow and sweeten but never enough to lure me back to Jackson as often happens with people who escape.

They are like paroled prisoners who have become institutionalized and can't live on the outside, so they commit another crime to go back, preferring the misery that they know to the freedom that is foreign to them.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times
I remember the Jackson Cascade Falls that had colored lights at night?

Cascade Falls Park - Jackson County Government www.co.jackson.mi.us

Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times
Default Jackson the great sh**hole

I too am unfortunately a citizen of this great dump better known as Jackson. For years now I keep trying to figure out why I am still in Michigan at all. At least my son who just graduated from MSU got out and he is now headed to Medical school in another state. Lucky him! The only thing that makes me feel bad about Jackson is that I see what it could have been. If you look at the history of this town, it was quite fascinating. A beautiful place with lots of industry and businesses of all kinds. It's pretty amazing if you go back and look at how Jackson was and all of the beautiful homes and stores (all long gone now) that used to grace the streets. There were so many shops it's hard to believe there were Mills and Manufacturers of all kinds of goods. Yep Jackson could have been something of a great town. My only guess is that the wrong decisions were made at every turn by the wrong people. I for one want out, and by gosh I will make it. Hopefully sooner than later. Whoever is the last one to leave, please turn off the lights and good luck.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:54 PM

44 posts, read 74,302 times
When I was younger I thought I would never again return to Jackson but I did and I raised a family here. For the most part we have enjoyed Jackson. We do have some nice things going for us. I like that it only takes me 10 to 15 minutes to get just about anywhere. We have Cascades and Ella Sharp parks. The Cascades Falls are still here. We have several beautiful lakes. We have Jackson Community College which has an excellent theatre and concert venue (The Potter Center). Living in Jackson is very affordable. When we want more restaurants or shopping it only takes 45 minutes to the East and we are in Ann Arbor. 45 minutes to the north and we are in Lansing. We have two major universities in those cities too. I sure would like to see Jackson attract more business and industry but I don't think Jackson is all that bad. Just my opinion.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times
I have a friend that is a investor in foreclosure houses in a real bad area of Jackson. I've been to Jackson in the last year or so and Jackson has run down compared to 40 years ago when I had a house on a lake near Jackson.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennus MacBean View Post

An earlier post in another thread about Jackson, made reference to Jacksonians looking "gaunt." I think a more apt description would be "haggard." Even though the Prison was relocated outside of the city, further out on Cooper Street in the 1930's there has always seemed to be a residual aura of oppression, hopelessness and misery in Jackson that native Jacksonians, if they are honest with themselves are aware of.

But, even with my love for and historical ties to Jackson, I feel compelled to leave.

Jackson's negative column has always been larger than its positive column but the disparity has grown too great even for me to ignore.
Yup, I was born there, and I left. You are absolutely right about the aura of oppression, hopelessness and misery there. When I was living there it was on everyone's lips. "This effing town!" I got out of there and I'm glad I did. I'll never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan