Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
More people = more sprawl, more congestion, more pollution, more infrastructure requirements, more demand on water systems, more required police, fire, schools, etc. Not to mention there is no surplus of jobs, so... = more unemployed on welfare.

Are the more populated states better or worse off than the less populated states?
Totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
^^
Well, that's not a very catchy slogan.

lol
That made me LOL.

I don't think getting people to move here should be a priority for Michigan. It's a pretty hard sell unless people are moving here for a specific job. Getting people to visit here seems to work well for the economy. More of that is warranted.

The goal should be to increase job growth, and work to get wages higher, education levels higher, and get everyone back to work in good paying jobs. Put Michigan back as a top state where it rightfully belongs.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
We have many vacant homess and empty lots.
Well, adding the cheap prices that you posted as well, here's a heck of a slogan:

Michigan: Cheap, Empty, and Vacant!

hahaha!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVERSMVP14 View Post
We have many vacant homess and empty lots.
Why do we need more people here?
I don't think all empty spaces should be filled - I mean what would that be like? OK, you didn't quite mean that.
Let's keep the state relatively serene but with enough jobs for the people already here. I think the vacant homes might be caused by unemployment, but thanks for your concern at least.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM

110 posts, read 170,483 times
We could start sending flyers showing our water resources to everyone in California, with the text "We won't pipe the lakes to you. But you can come to the lakes. Bonus: housing's super cheap! Go to movemichigan.com* for details."

As a bonus, the first winter will probably drive many of them away again, but we'll get taxes from them while they're here. It'll be like a revolving door with a fee to help rebuild the roads.

*Yes, I just made that up. And Chrome say's it's not currently in use, so go to entrepreneurs!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Default With more people moving to MI...

If no additional jobs are available = higher unemployment, more competition for existing jobs

This also works the other way...

More talent that moves in entices more businesses to start/set up shop in MI, thus more jobs are created.

Higher demand for places to live = increased rents/home values (good for the home owner, not for the buyer)

Higher congestion on roads. We see this in Denver on I-70 to the mountains. It's generally a parking lot this time of year.

Just be happy you can buy your sub-$100k homes. I just moved to Denver and I find the housing market to be in the midst of a bubble here. Rents and home values are far-outpacing median household incomes here. For the same $100k 3-BR ranch I could pick up in Madison Heights, I'd have to pay almost tripple the amount for the same thing in Metro Denver.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 AM

293 posts, read 849,959 times
There have to be more jobs, or else you're not going to be able to attract too many people. Cost of housing is generally in proportion to the local economy and the demand for housing; our houses that cost $100K or less reflect the fact that they're in areas where there are a lot of people struggling to get by on $12 to $15 an hour. People who have larger incomes don't generally want $100K houses no matter what city they're in.

That said, though, I've come to the conclusion that Michigan really appeals to people who love the outdoors all year round. I'm stereotyping of course, but in my observation, the people who are happiest about living in Michigan enjoy outdoor recreation even in winter. Waterskiing and boating in the summer, hunting in fall, skiing and snowboarding in the winter. For city folks who don't particularly like spending time outdoors (like myself), the state really doesn't have much to offer.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
That said, though, I've come to the conclusion that Michigan really appeals to people who love the outdoors all year round. I'm stereotyping of course, but in my observation, the people who are happiest about living in Michigan enjoy outdoor recreation even in winter. Waterskiing and boating in the summer, hunting in fall, skiing and snowboarding in the winter. For city folks who don't particularly like spending time outdoors (like myself), the state really doesn't have much to offer.
Good observation. Michigan can be a different place to different people, depending on perspective. I like the country life and I enjoy all of the seasons for different reasons. I like to look at red barns against white snow. This makes it easy for me to like Michigan. If I was going to live in a city, my preference for which state I want to live in might change. For example, I think winter is BEAUTIFUL in the country. The snow stays nice and white, it's just pretty to look at. But in the city, winter tends to get brown, dirty, and depressing. When I lived in the city of Grand Rapids, winter was not that enjoyable and I looked forward to the end. Since most of the population lives in urban areas, I can see why so many people complain about winter. It's a lot easier to see the beauty of winter away from cities.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Good observation. Michigan can be a different place to different people, depending on perspective. I like the country life and I enjoy all of the seasons for different reasons. I like to look at red barns against white snow. This makes it easy for me to like Michigan. If I was going to live in a city, my preference for which state I want to live in might change. For example, I think winter is BEAUTIFUL in the country. The snow stays nice and white, it's just pretty to look at. But in the city, winter tends to get brown, dirty, and depressing. When I lived in the city of Grand Rapids, winter was not that enjoyable and I looked forward to the end. Since most of the population lives in urban areas, I can see why so many people complain about winter. It's a lot easier to see the beauty of winter away from cities.
Yeah, no way I would like Winter in a dirty city. Here in northern Michigan Winter is just awesome!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:38 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather67 View Post
We could start sending flyers showing our water resources to everyone in California, with the text "We won't pipe the lakes to you. But you can come to the lakes. Bonus: housing's super cheap! Go to movemichigan.com* for details."

As a bonus, the first winter will probably drive many of them away again, but we'll get taxes from them while they're here. It'll be like a revolving door with a fee to help rebuild the roads.

*Yes, I just made that up. And Chrome say's it's not currently in use, so go to entrepreneurs!

Yeah, but while they're there....they'll vote to increase taxes and take your guns away.

Those tax dollars would be spent on the water pipeline to L.A..........then they'll move back.

Last edited by YAZ; 02-21-2014 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan